"Late" Series III Axles and Lockers

KingSlug

Observer
I wouldn't doubt the abilities of TrueTracs, I had them on a D90 f&r and they rocked for more than average use. Great on the road manners and great for anything offroad other than some slickroad or things you really shouldnt be doing with an expedition vehicle.

Jared

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
While I like Trutracs (especially in front applications), I prefer the ARB because you have the option of turning it off. There are times when having a traction aiding device is actually a hinderance. The added air lines and wiring don't amount to much, and add the capabilities onboard air provides. The main weakness is the blue air line, and that can be beefed up using the HD rubber air lines from ARB or the stainless lines from many sources. The ARB compressor is actually pretty durable, and the wiring has no fancy circuits. A couple switches, a relay or two, and a few wires is all it takes to run the system. All very straightforward. The case itself is pretty much bulletproof, and will last longer than you own the vehicle.

Remember, limited slip means there is no full locking of the axles. By definition there will be some loss of power between the two wheels. Gear driven LSDs require either wheelspeed or brake modulation to lock to their potential, which may not be desirable in some situations.

Research carefully before dropping the coin, as it's not a cheap modification and you don't want to have regrets later.

SIII_Bill

racingjason said:
Perhaps the following should be a new thread but does anyone have any experience with the Wolf style wheels on the Series trucks?

I have Wolfes on a 74 SIII 88. The biggest difference is thickness and how much stud is available to the lug nut. I've never had a problem if the lugs were properly tightened. I don't remember off hand but its around 90 ft/lbs.

Turning radius was a function of tyre size on mine. Offset probably had some to do with it but my 88 had a better turning radius afterward.

I went to Wolfs after the center section feel apart in one my 30 yo? rims.

I wonder if lockers reduce the chances of wheel hop and grab?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
SIII_Bill said:
I wonder if lockers reduce the chances of wheel hop and grab?

Wheel hop is due to a momentary loss of traction. While a locker helps gain traction it will not guarantee it. In deep snow I still have wheel hop with both lockers engaged, and I still get stuck!
Jason T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior