Trip report Huntington Lake, Western Sierra

rvrfish

Observer
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I haven’t done any hard core expedition type adventures, (I want to) and this post is not going to be very exciting, but I have enjoyed all the post I have read of your trips I thought I would pay back a little. I hope you enjoy the report.

Last weekend my family, friends and I went to Huntington Lake located in the western Sierra south east of Fresno, this is a great sailing lake, The High Sierra regatta is hosted every year in July by the Fresno Yacht club, my wife and I used to go up every year to race our Mercury, I have been lucky enough to race boats all over the place and I have to say Huntington lake is one of the prettiest, fun, frustrating places I have ever sailed. So frustrating that this year we waited until August and left the sailboats at home. Water fun was provided by kayaks and canoes instead.

Huntington lake is part of a chain of lakes built and used for hydroelectric power. The other lakes are Shaver and Edison, Edison lake is the farthest back and is part of the Pacific Crest Trail, we didn’t make it to Edison this trip but is very beautiful also, and being at the end of the road not very crowded.

Here is a link to show location,
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=Huntington+Lake,+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Sunday we hiked up to Rancheria falls unfortunately the batteries for my camera died.

The drive home was uneventful, well the AC died on the truck and the kids complained about the heat….

Cheers,

Matt

and some pictures

I know not very off road looking, I repacked the wheel bearings before the trip and didn’t store anything in the trailer, I have got to do something about those 12” tires…

My son Max, plastic kayaks are kid proof!

this picture shows the “Teamwork” that has got us thru the last 20 years of adventures. LOL

Attachments

• Huntington Lake 2006 065.jpg
    Huntington Lake 2006 065.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Huntington Lake 2006 039.jpg
    Huntington Lake 2006 039.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Huntington Lake 2006 061.jpg
    Huntington Lake 2006 061.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads