4runner camper

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
87 4runner said:
does anyone know if there is a camper made for the early 4runner bodys to replace the topper
Dude, I've been thinking and pondering that for quite awhile now... As far as I know...NO.

I've been thinking of just buying a second topper for my truck and modify it to work as a sort of camper topper. I would like to replace the far rear windows with outside accessible storage boxes and make a flip top tent like the XV-JP.

Honestly, I see ALOT of potential for things like this with these truck, with the removable top and the factory bolt on configuration it seems like it's be pretty easy to make something like what were looking for. You might have to remove the roll bar, but it already has a built in pass through of sorts. I personaly would not attempt to put a kitchen inside, but it'd be nice to have a tent top and the ability to keep your gear in the truck as well.

Cheers

Dave

CLynn85

Explorer
There was actually a buildup on an 89 4Runner sometime back, think the guys forum name was "RatherDiesel" that was attempting to graft a steel utility truck shell to create a camper body, and also incorporated a Merc Diesel swap. The last I remember seeing it on Pirate 4x4 though was that he'd abandoned the camper to focus on the diesel swap with a drivable 4x4.

HINO SG

Adventurer
I'm moving in that general direction with my '85. The body on on mine is a lost cause but if the plans work out maybe I can find one with a body worth saving.

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
I've be thinking about how to do the same to my '85 Runner. I mind-engineered it, drew it up, and did some research. I was planning on using the stock bolt holes so that it would be removable. Something along the lines of the Jeep based thing or old Sunrader's etc. w/ pop tops.

I have a wheeling buddy that owns a metal fab shop (and his own Runner). I discussed it with him. He was concerned that it would be way heavy, even in aluminum, and way expensive given the cost of alum right now. I contacted Four Wheel Camper to see if they ever did one, or knew anyone who did, and they didn't.

In my plans, I tried to fit in a head, a galley, sitting and sleeping areas into it. It's just too small for all that. You could keep the cooking functions outside, but most places I go/want to go have some wicked bugs. You could do an outside head/shower, but that sucks in the cold.

I haven't given up on the idea, and would be interested in brainstorming with others if they have attempted.

efuentes

Explorer
I have been going round and round on the same dilemma, first with my Toyo 2nd gen truck, then with a runner, I have finally settled on a CJ with TJ Unlimited dimensions.

I ditched the mini truck platform since I couldn't fit in.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
CLynn85 said:
There was actually a buildup on an 89 4Runner sometime back, think the guys forum name was "RatherDiesel" that was attempting to graft a steel utility truck shell to create a camper body, and also incorporated a Merc Diesel swap. The last I remember seeing it on Pirate 4x4 though was that he'd abandoned the camper to focus on the diesel swap with a drivable 4x4.
Yeah that was a bad MMM build, but I haven't seen if he ever finished it. I heard he hadn't and that it fell by the wayside. That build was going to be about perfect in my book, I belive he was looking at the 1KZ-T for a powerplant :drool: Anyone have any info on what ever happened to this guy and his awsome ideas???

Cheers

Dave

rynosurf

Adventurer
Is the bed in the 4runner the same size as a truck? If it is you could get a flipac or even a cabover callen, take out the front window, cut the crossmember out under the window, make a boot out of marine grade vinyl and you are set.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I belive... and I may be wrong, but I belive that the 1st gen 4 Runner is dimensionaly identical to a standard cab short-bed p/u. I know that my Buddies 91 was literaly the EXACT same length overall as my 4Runner, now wether Flipac makes a canopy for that small a bed I do not know, but that would be an awesome idea if they did.

Cheers

Dave

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just measured my shell at the bottom as it sits along the bed rail.

76 3/4 Long X 59" Wide (at the back)

(Note that the top is more narrow than the bottom.)

Scott Brady

Founder
Has anyone confirmed the size of the 4Wheel Camper Falcon?

http://www.fourwh.com/finch.htm

finch.jpg

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
Was thinking that idea thru today.

Take a stock one, cut it around the edges, attach canvas walls to the top, and the sides, rig up a scissor lift setup, so that when lifted, the canvas is tight. Like so many pop-top campers. Not perfect, but interesting. Doesn't take advantage of cab-over area.

Or, maybe make the stock lid into a flip top like the Flip Pac. Hinge it towards the front. Could make a big bed area. With the right support, the stock 'glass top could probably support some weight.

Obviously, I'm thinking out loud.

Wish I has another spare stock top to play with here in East TX.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz