Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Here's one from my archives.

1995 Maruti Gypsy LWB back when I lived in Australia. Before I sold it, it had a 1.3L with a turbo, locker in the back, 34.5" Simex JT 2's, and a few other bits and pieces. This would have been a perfect platform for a 2-seater expedition vehicle. With it being LWB, it rode very well, and was nice and stable. Geez I miss that thing.

dirtyruti.jpg

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Thank's everybody for contributing to this thread :victory: I think all your Sammy's are great. So many new project's for this spring I can't count. Please keep them coming :coffee:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
chet said:
Heres my '86 LWB sammy.....

There is a pic of my old 4 door sidekick which I sold to get the sammy.

I wasn't aware you'd ditched the Sidekick for that LWB. You've been keeping secrets...

Cool LWB. Hope that ragtop keeps you warm enough up there! :smiley_drive:

chet

island Explorer
haha ya I ditched it around 6 months ago. it was my faithful daily driver for 3 years even in its lifted state it did 120 kms per day commute! We got a screamin deal on an XL7 so I did not need it anymore.

Oh as for the cold weather... I have an insulated hardtop as well! Hopefully in a month or so I will have updated pics in its new color and with the hardtop. Welding suzuki sheetmetal sucks! :D

troy

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Great thread. I love the little Samurais.

What would be awesome would be to build a little hard-top Sami and install a light-weight roof tent and an awning and then do a tightly integrated and light storage system in the back, maybe with a Weaco drawer fridge or similar.

This isn't mine, but a very cool expo Sami, diesel powered, hartop, RTT, etc.:
http://www.acmeadapters.com/gallery_view.php?gid=5

Good to see SteveC on here. I'm also addicted to the Suzuki LJ series, and currently own a few. One is slowly getting a 1.6TD installed.

My bone stock 88.5 Sammy

I keep it up at Land Between the Lakes National Rec. area to use to run the back roads there. Its been a dependable,economical fun toy.
zuki.jpg

Lawson_nate

Since we're showing off our Suzukis.

31732290087_large.jpg

Last year the wife and I drove from Fairbanks, AK to Glaveston, Tx and lots of places in between putting over 10,000 miles on her '04 Ford Focus in just over three months. This time we're taking mine (mostly to justify the amount of money and modifications I'll be investing on my Sidekick) and are planning a much longer and rougher adventure.

It's nice to see so many Adventure Zuki enthusists.

ALSO... I was just throwing around some ideas and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some good fiberglass fabrication websites. This is what my ultimate Suzuki would be....(camper picture was originally built on a Toyota platform)

31732290086_large.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
All of these Sami's are so AWESOME...

Chet, I love your LWB.

It wasn't untill almost 6/7 years ago I even knew they existed. I saw one out on a traiol,run here in Oregon but it had a flatbed and I just assumed it was home stretched. Don't know how I'd missed them, but wow talk about the PERFECT trail rig for here in the NW with all of our tight narrow trails. Plus I love how llightweight they are, it's so great for keeping drivetrain parts in one piece.

Now among my many dream rigs I have floating about my head, I actualy am Looking for a LWB Sami to do a VW TDi conversion on. I was a VW guy befor I was into 4x4's so I know my way around their motors and I think it'd make an awesome daily driver and trail rig. Leave the 4Runner for long trips and camping. Who knows if I'll ever make it happen, but boy it sure is a practical sounding rig.

IS there a good resource for these trucks??? ANd can you even find an aftermarket or original Hard-top??? I know they're rare, but is there something like Yotatech for Suzi's???

Cheers

Dave

chet

island Explorer
haha thats things cool! I can only imagine how gutless it would be though.

4rescue: the tops for a LWB are hard to find. but used hardtops do come up for sale everyonece in a while. No source for new though. I looked at the diesel converision but just can't justufy the cost. It would be around $3000 to do one complete.

Site for suzukis: www.zukikrawlers.com, www.zukiworld.com are the two main ones.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Very nice thread. I drove a Samurai a long time ago down in the US Virgin Islands. It was a great vehicle and got me everywhere I needed to go (and made it fun!!).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So nobody has tricked out a 2nd Gen (06+) Grand Vitara yet? I'm surprised at that. Is it the independent rear suspension that's got people vexed?

I've been quite impressed by the wife's GV. We normally take it (rather than my Tacoma) when we need a more "civilized" vehicle to drive around in or when we know we'll be taking passengers.

MPG is a bit disappointing, though. It's about the same as my Taco, maybe even a little less. I was hoping with the smaller size and 5 speed auto it would be better, but I have only broken 20mpg once or twice.

If anybody does have a lifted/big tired 06+ GV I'd love to see the pics or links.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice, thanks for the links Chet. Again, I love the LWB you've gotten your self. Very nice ;)

Cheers

Dave

SGV

Adventurer
So nobody has tricked out a 2nd Gen (06+) Grand Vitara yet? I'm surprised at that. Is it the independent rear suspension that's got people vexed?

I've been quite impressed by the wife's GV. We normally take it (rather than my Tacoma) when we need a more "civilized" vehicle to drive around in or when we know we'll be taking passengers.

MPG is a bit disappointing, though. It's about the same as my Taco, maybe even a little less. I was hoping with the smaller size and 5 speed auto it would be better, but I have only broken 20mpg once or twice.

If anybody does have a lifted/big tired 06+ GV I'd love to see the pics or links.

Here is my 2006. I upped the tire size to 235/75/16. One up from stock. I have consistently been getting just under 21 mpg combined. With the new tires it is harder to tell. The worst road it has been on, I believe, was a 2 or 2.5 on the scale everyone talks about. (EW??)

3047239218_fe63053a06.jpg
3046403187_42ca8f1f1c.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles