FG buildup

dhackney

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
Doug- Why not go 100% custom?

Will,

Short version is:
  • Weight (all the custom ones we know of are as or more heavy than the factory camper)
  • Cost (unless we did the interior ourselves the custom options were more expensive than the factory camper)
  • Experience (anything we designed and built would be a first effort, with all the attendant rookie mistakes, system integration snafus, etc., the factory camper theoretically has most of the basic kinks worked out)
  • Time (we ran out of time for a custom build on the house box)

There's more detail on this at: http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-FAQ.htm

There's actually a good track record of the factory camper option, at least with this Bigfoot brand. Check the Hunter rig section at http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-samples.htm

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think North American built RVs and campers are almost all junk. I can't speak for European or Austrailian built products, but what we found in researching the stuff here was dismally depressing. So at first blush, I agreed with your pessimistic assessment of the option. In the end, we think/hope we've got something that will serve us for the time period we're looking at. Time will tell.

Doug

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Yeah I hear ya'! My pop used to own a moving company, and having logged many miles on a FG, it will not let you down! I would look into the air-ride seat options to save your kidneys a bit, on rough roads such as I-94 outside of Madison, WI, it would become a beast, and I would dread every pot hole, or bump. I am sure you already have something up your sleeve for this, though.

VikingVince

Explorer
Doug,

Thanks for posting this thread, the links, and your design plans. It never occurred to me to use the fifth wheel Bigfoot trailer...your design plan is unique.
I'll be following your site with much interest...no doubt you'll have a a fantastic adventure.

I see from your links that you have not done South America...you're an experienced traveler and no doubt aware of numerous abductions/murders in SA just to get your ATM card and password. There's a thread somewhere here in the forum about a European couple who met their end in Bolivia (there are numerous similar incidents)...their abductors posed as police officers...which makes it significantly more difficult to make a quick decision to flee. Of course there are many people who have travelled SA with no problem...I think I would take VERY specific note of how legitimate police are dressed...thus being better prepared to identify the fakes...just a thought.

haven

Expedition Leader
regarding the wheelbase

Regarding the wheelbase extension, remember that the cab-forward truck is different from the typical pickup. The 133" wheelbase Fuso has a longer cargo area and a considerably tighter turning circle than the 160" F450.

So, sure, keep the wheelbase as short as possible, but don't worry about adding 12 inches. When Doug lengthens the Fuso's frame, the truck will drive like a big pickup, not a 30 foot motorhome.

Chip Haven

dhackney

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
Doug,
I see from your links that you have not done South America...you're an experienced traveler and no doubt aware of numerous abductions/murders in SA just to get your ATM card and password.

VikingVince,

Thanks for the heads up on this technique. It would be a bummer to go down in Bolivia, of all places, after spending a couple of months exploring the Middle East during the current Iraqi war.

We've got a friend who was kidnapped and later released in Columbia. The last time we had lunch with him he gave us a stern lecture on the dangers there.

He spent the last couple of years riding around the world, covering much of the same ground we did, as well as some additional areas. He ended up discovering the same thing we did: the rest of the world is much safer than the typical American city. All we ever hear about the rest of the world back here are the exceptionally violent incidents. Imagine what you'd think of America if all you ever heard was the daily murder report out of any major city.

Having said that, we will continue to be diligent and aware, and most important, follow our gut.

Doug

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haven said:
The 133" wheelbase Fuso has a longer cargo area and a considerably tighter turning circle than the 160" F450.

Chip,

I've got a competitive turning radius comparison at: http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-specs.htm

wheelbase: turning radius
----------------------------
FG 109": 42 ft / 12/8 m
FG 133": 49.9 ft / 15.2 m
GMC 136": 49 ft / 14.9 m
GMC 160": 53.7 ft / 16.36 m
Dodge 139" : 46.4 ft / 14.14 m
Dodge 163" : 52.7 ft / 16.06 m
Ford 137" : 49.2 ft / 14.99 m
Ford 161" : 56.4 ft / 17.19 m

As you point out, the FG had a very effecient turning radius for a given payload length.

These #'s came from the Mitsubishi / FUSO sales training manual. Unfortunately, there were no other brands included so I don't know how the FG compares with chassis sold in non-North American markets.

Doug

VikingVince

Explorer
dhackney said:
We've got a friend who was kidnapped and later released in Columbia. The last time we had lunch with him he gave us a stern lecture on the dangers there.
Doug

I bet that is one helluva interesting story...he's one lucky guy...it would be informative to hear more about that but don't wanna hijack this thread...did they drain his bank account with his ATM card?

Doug...I would love to see your rig when it's close to completion...no doubt other EP folk would as well! (I have to update my computer to view the "Project" link on your website) I'd even be more than willing to come down for a weekend and offer you my assistance/labor on any aspect of the rig buildup/trip prepartions where I could be of help. (I'd find somewhere to camp) PM me if you wanna take me up on the offer at some point.:)

dhackney

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
I have to update my computer to view the "Project" link on your website

I changed the structure of the components page so you don't need any plugins to see where we're at with the major systems. Things are evolving daily, so those pages will be updated soon.

http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-components.htm

I'll post as many shots as possible during the buildup. I'll only be there for a couple of weeks, so I'm depending on our fabricator to shoot lots of photos during the process.

You can learn more about the Columbia thing by reading the book, Two Wheels to Terror, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884313493

You can learn more about Glen, his subsequent circumnavigation by bike and where to get an autographed copy of the book at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41699

We welcome all assistance, input, etc. We're experienced at moto adventure travel & offroad riding but total virgins with 4x4s.

VikingVince

Explorer
dhackney said:
You can learn more about the Columbia thing by reading the book, Two Wheels to Terror, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884313493

Doug,

thanks for the links...I'm checking them all out. Very interesting title to his book...I'm definitely going to get it...should be a good read! The title implies he encountered numerous "tight" situations. Maybe it should be required reading for anyone traveling SA....of course, the dual sport bike enables one to get further off the beaten path than the expedition vehicle. thanks again for the links...vince

dhackney

Expedition Leader
new photos

We finally got all the major components together in one spot.

image014.jpg

Updated buildup photos are at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/photos/BEV_buildup/index.htm

Main project web site is at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/

Fabrication of 3 point pivot frame, front and rear bull bars, garage, storage boxes, etc. is underway.

Selection of all systems components (electrical, water, etc.) is finalizing now.

I will post more images as they become available.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Very cool! Lots of progress. That looks really slick! I have no idea what the camper structure is like, but is there any concern about torsional forces due to the way the camper steps up and away in width/height in relation to the chassis?

BTW, I like the looks of whatever vehicle is lurking in the background in this pic :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
Very cool! I have no idea what the camper structure is like, but is there any concern about torsional forces due to the way the camper steps up and away in width/height in relation to the chassis?

The camper is made from very rigid fiberglass/foam/panel sections. They are incredibly torsionally resistant compared to standard RV construction (which I realize isn't much of a comparison considering typical RV cardboard level strength). The panel construction is much the same as a foam core boat hulll or deck, only much thicker than a typical marine application. So, for torsional rigidity, we're counting on its inherent strength, plus the support of the camper's normal application support/attachment points, i.e. floor base via the 3 point frame and the four tie down points.

The front extension containing the sleeping area also has a large support "rib" extending along the bottom on each side that are about 6" in width and 6" or so in height back near the camper box and tapering down to zero at the front. It is our understanding that they provide additional vertical support to the front extension.

BajaTaco said:
BTW, I like the looks of whatever vehicle is lurking in the background in this pic :ylsmoke:

Yea, she can be a lot to handle sometimes...
image003.jpg

Oh! You meant the racer... ;)

jimco.jpg

It's a 4 or so year old Jimco chassis. Race prepped vette motor making over 500 HP, torque converter clutch crash box 5 speed, etc. It's on jack stands being prepared for its next race. The best looking racer in the shop isn't in these photos...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
dhackney said:
The camper is made from very rigid fiberglass/foam/panel sections. They are incredibly torsionally resistant ...

The front extension containing the sleeping area also has...

Very well described, and sounds like you have it covered. Bueno! This is a really fun build to follow along. Thanks for taking the time to share all of the little details.

dhackney said:
Yea, she can be a lot to handle sometimes...
image003.jpg

Oh! You meant the racer... ;)

jimco.jpg

It's a 4 or so year old Jimco chassis. Race prepped vette motor making over 500 HP, torque converter clutch crash box 5 speed, etc. It's on jack stands being prepared for its next race. The best looking racer in the shop isn't in these photos...

HA!! When I first posted, I wrote "I like the looks of whatever is lurking in the background of this pic" ... and then I clicked the pic after I had posted... and realized that maybe I should qualify that statement with the word "vehicle" .... LOL But now that you mention it... ! I can see you have every reason to be quite proud :ylsmoke:

dhackney said:
The best looking racer in the shop isn't in these photos...

Hey, I'm waiting - where's the pics? :p

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Couldn't resist on the lurking bit. Too good of a straight line...

BajaTaco said:
Hey, I'm waiting - where's the pics? :p

I'll see if it is in the shop when I go back up there tomorrow. If so, I'll try to get a shot of it.

And I need to be clear, none of these racers is mine. The spouse says "one toy at a time." I figure I'm ahead of the game if she's counting the rig and the bikes as "one." ;)

VikingVince

Explorer
Doug,

I love the pics...thanks for posting them. It must be really exciting to see your design ideas taking shape with the "real McCoys"...what an adventure you have in store in a worthy and comfortable (theoretically:wavey:) rig. Over a two year trek, I think you're really going to appreciate the comforts of the Bigfoot...look forward to your updates.
PS - that shop looks major serious/professional...those frame extensions look like excellent quality. For future reference, if I do something similar, could you give the name of the guy/shop that's doing the work? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne