'06 Xterra 4X4 OR 6spd

asteffes

Explorer
Hey, welcome to the forum. Nice Xterrra you've got there.

You might check out some of the power-related threads here. Several folks are beginning to report "issues" with their Optima batteries. We're all slowly getting on the Odyssey bandwagon now, as they've introduced a couple of very nice Group 34 and Group 31-sized batteries that are drop-in replacements for many vehicles. Some folks are also considering the Lifeline marine batteries. You might consider one, too, if you're going to add a 'fridge.

I've found a lot of useful info for the Odyssey batteries on Expedition Exchange's site, www.expeditionexchange.com.

ccd8541

asteffes said:
You might check out some of the power-related threads here. Several folks are beginning to report "issues" with their Optima batteries. We're all slowly getting on the Odyssey bandwagon now, as they've introduced a couple of very nice Group 34 and Group 31-sized batteries that are drop-in replacements for many vehicles. Some folks are also considering the Lifeline marine batteries. You might consider one, too, if you're going to add a 'fridge.

I've found a lot of useful info for the Odyssey batteries on Expedition Exchange's site, www.expeditionexchange.com.

Thanks for the heads up on that issue. I will do a bit more reading, as you suggest, on the Odyssey brand and related threads.

Chad

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Congratulations and welcome to the forum, as for the tires I would recomend the Geolanders AT II in a 285 size, some mile trimming in the front and you would be set. If you have the time post some pictures of your X, and let me know how it does on deep sand!:wavey:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
ccd8541 said:
I will check in the morning but I believe mine has the P265/75R16 Rugged Trail T/A(?) Not an LT?

Reading all the tire stuff on the other forums and trying to sort through it has me going :confused:

I'm happy keeping them if they should work for light/moderate trails. Get the fridge that much sooner:luxhello:

Chad
If those are P rated and they are the BFG Rugged Trail, do yourself a big favor and ditch them. You may have to use a cooler and ice for a while, but those are possibly the worst tire I've ever had the "pleasure" of owning! Dry traction OK, but rain (roads), snow, mud :yikes: I never had one go flat, but after 15,000 miles and 3 wet road donuts I broke down and bought real tires.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
jim65wagon said:
If those are P rated and they are the BFG Rugged Trail, do yourself a big favor and ditch them. You may have to use a cooler and ice for a while, but those are possibly the worst tire I've ever had the "pleasure" of owning! Dry traction OK, but rain (roads), snow, mud :yikes: I never had one go flat, but after 15,000 miles and 3 wet road donuts I broke down and bought real tires.
They are P rated and they should be replaced asap.:costumed-smiley-007

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
ccd8541 said:
Thanks for the input BajaTaco!

I was leaning towards the Engel 35 and going with a Optima yellow top. Think this might work?

You are very welcome. Yes, I think that would work. However, as was mentioned, you might consider an Odyssey or Lifeline instead of the Optima if you can afford it (I think they cost more, but I haven't checked lately). They just have a higher amp-hour capacity, which is a good thing where a fridge is concerned. I still think the Optima is a decent battery, but I am ready to try something else now.

Regardless, I would get a battery that is a deep cycle, but has enough cold-cranking amps to act as a starting battery (Optima yellow top is an example). If you get a regular auto sized (group 34) battery, then you might consider adding a 12VDC jump-start pack to your backcountry recovery kit. Much more affordable than a dual-battery system, and portable for use in other vehicles.

asteffes

Explorer
jim65wagon said:

How do you like the BFG ATKOs in snow?

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Here is a picture of my Geolanders AT II +
I did and try some other tires and found these tires to give me what I was looking for, low noise and agreesive grip!

Attachments

• PIAA LIGHTS and GEOLANDERS AT II Tires 002.jpg
    PIAA LIGHTS and GEOLANDERS AT II Tires 002.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 55

ccd8541

Put my Shrock sliders on today and the Raingler roof net. All went smooth.

Next week I think I will try and make a decision on tires and get those on. I would also like to get the new battery picked out and in.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Especially the heads up on the battery.

Chad

Allahades

Glad to hear you went with a 2nd gen. Xterra. I've been very pleased with mine as an expedition vehicle.

I plan to go with BFG ATKOs when I replace the Rugged Trails. I'm not going to do that for a while, though.

My biggest concern right now is the rear suspension. Once you've got sliders, a hi-lift, a cooler and camping gear, the rear sags a good inch and a half and bottoms out on every little bump. A stiffer leaf pack is essential, IMO, even if you're not going out for multi-day trips.

ccd8541

Allahades said:
My biggest concern right now is the rear suspension. Once you've got sliders, a hi-lift, a cooler and camping gear, the rear sags a good inch and a half and bottoms out on every little bump. A stiffer leaf pack is essential, IMO, even if you're not going out for multi-day trips.

Hello,
I will keep that in mind. Do you have a vendor sourced for the leaf pack mod?

Where do you carry the hi-lift? I stuck mine(48") under the back seats.

Glad to see another X on the board.

Chad

Allahades

Calimini and Automotive Customizers both sell Add-a-leafs for the new X, and at least one guy has had Alcan make a custom pack. thenewx.org is the forum to check out for that sort of information-- the guys there are learning through trial and error so we can avoid the error. :ylsmoke:

I also have my hi lift under the rear seat. It fits well, although I'd like to secure it better.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Allahades said:
Calimini and Automotive Customizers both sell Add-a-leafs for the new X, and at least one guy has had Alcan make a custom pack. thenewx.org is the forum to check out for that sort of information-- the guys there are learning through trial and error so we can avoid the error. :ylsmoke:

I also have my hi lift under the rear seat. It fits well, although I'd like to secure it better.

Those are great news, do you have more pictures of your truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles