'06 Xterra 4X4 OR 6spd

ccd8541

The BN Guy said:
Sorry I've missed this thread! Welcome fellow Nissaner!

Thanks for the welcome 'BN'!

Added a few odds and ends pplz:

1. Portable battery booster
  2. Viair 400P
  3. ScanGuageII
  4. WabFab

Still need to decide on and purchase:

1. Tires- I'm leaning towards Firestone Discovery MT.
  2. Battery- Not sure, leaning Odyssey but might go Duralast. Will probably hold off on this until I narrow down on what amount of juice I might need....Fridge, lights, comm etc....
  3. Fridge- Not sure on size or where/how I will mount it. Will look at it more when I get back from Utah.

Chad

ccd8541

ccd8541 said:
[*]Tires- I'm leaning towards Firestone Discovery MT.

Went with the Definity MT's from PePboys...265/75R16, stock tire size. I had looked at them a few weeks ago then kinda forgotten they were out there...reading the post by jeffryscott brought them back to mind.

Chad

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
ccd8541 said:
Went with the Definity MT's from PePboys...265/75R16, stock tire size. I had looked at them a few weeks ago then kinda forgotten they were out there...reading the post by jeffryscott brought them back to mind.

Chad

Hi Chad, let us know how you like them.

Bergger

Explorer
Allahades said:
Glad to hear you went with a 2nd gen. Xterra. I've been very pleased with mine as an expedition vehicle.

I plan to go with BFG ATKOs when I replace the Rugged Trails. I'm not going to do that for a while, though.

My biggest concern right now is the rear suspension. Once you've got sliders, a hi-lift, a cooler and camping gear, the rear sags a good inch and a half and bottoms out on every little bump. A stiffer leaf pack is essential, IMO, even if you're not going out for multi-day trips.

So how's the interior room of the Xterras, with the seats flat? I've always like them and so does the wife! I currently use my Tacoma Dbl cab for most of my trips but when it gets cold and I've been taking out the wifes 02 4Runner. It's stock but does fine on the mild trails and it allows me to sleep inside comfortably. I'm 6'2" and am wondering how friendly the Xterra is to sleeping inside it. A local dealer just gave me a quote of $23,300 on an Off Road model, manual with a few options. They are such cool vehicles it is very tempting but I'm not sure I'd be getting that many advantages over the 4Runner to make it worth while. What's your opinion?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
First of all, that price is pretty impressive, easily $3,000 less than the best I could find at the begining of the year.

Bergger, you really have to look at one for yourself as the cargo area is shapped very differently -- taller and wider but several inches shorter. I think you could fold/remove the back seats and slide the passenger seat all the way forward. Might be worth checking into one with the utility package that has the folding front passenger seat, but be warned it is not as comfortable as a regular seat IMO. Dr. Craig Jones traded his Discovery (which I really wanted) for a Xterra and has some pictures and commentary on his site.

ccd8541

bigreen505 said:
Hi Chad, let us know how you like them.

Jury is still out.

I just finished a two week trip into Utah and put just over 3,000 miles on them. Around 400 miles were off pavement, of that, maybe 50 miles were on a rocky trails requiring low range.

I did one short venture on a muddy trail and they seemed shed the mud ok.

At about the 1,500 mile point I noticed one was splitting along the contour of the bead. I have a photo of it if you want a better idea of the location.

I had been running at about 35psi on the road but started wondering if that was too low? After the tire issue I started running at 40psi. I was at 20psi for most of the off pavement stuff.

I am glad I went with a MT as I believe they pulled my ****** through a situation where a less tire might have bogged down. That was a narrow muddy trail (it had started out dry), in the middle of nowhere, that got worse the further I drove up it. At the first opportunity I turned around but it was a hairy few minutes up and down.

I did not notice any slipping on the rockier trails.

These are the first set of MTs I've ever run and can not really quantify how good they are. I'm happy with the performance but they might have a quality control issue. I will turn the one tire in and see how they deal with a warranty issue.

Chad

Bergger

Explorer
Allahades said:
Here's a link to a thread about setting up the new X for sleeping:

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1530

edit: whoops, same thread as linked to above.

Thanks. I actually went and looked/test drove the Xterra this morning. I like it even more! I folded every thing flat and at 6' 2" I should be able to sleep in it. I could use the idea in the thread posted or by just build a simple platform to fill the void. Same as the 4Runner. Now I just have to see if the numbers will work for me. I think the price is great, $23,300 for the Off Road model. I just need to see what they will give me for the 4Runner. The wife said that if I can make the numbers work for us she's all for it. Of course it'll be her daily driver. I should make my decision by friday.

ccd8541

Bergger said:
I think the price is great, $23,300 for the Off Road model.

That does sound like a good price.

I like mine and think it is a stout and well rounded vehicle right off the lot....errr...except the 'p' rated tires. Might try and get a set of 'LT' in the deal.

Chad

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
ccd8541 said:

I like mine and think it is a stout and well rounded vehicle right off the lot....errr...except the 'p' rated tires. Might try and get a set of 'LT' in the deal.

Chad

Were can you buy this xterra at this price...:smilies27

david despain

Adventurer
ccd8541 said:

Chad

:iagree:

mine is a frontier not an xterra but the thought is the same, its a great all-round performer. it dosent do any one thing perfectly but it does it all very well. the value for the cost vs. features vs. quality was pretty good i thought. i too wish for better tires; it might pay to see if any local tyre shops will buy them from you and at least save you some money on a set of decent all terains.

Bergger

Explorer
Well I did it! :wings: I traded the 4Runner in for an 06' Xterra Off Road! I got the truck for $23,077! It included a few little extras, splash guards, emergency package, tow package and cabin filter and clear bra. I've had the truck for only about an hour and I love it! The guy gave me such a good price I could not pass it up, and the wife gave me the thumbs up too. Of course it's her new daily driver. Now I'll have to pick whether to take the Xterra of the Tacoma. What a great problem to have. Geeze I haven't been this excited since I got the Tacoma. Here's a link to the photos.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bergger1

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
:luxhello: Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

On a side note, I can't believe you got such a screaming deal from Tynans. When I was looking they were the most expensive place in town by about $2,000 and totally unwilling to negotiate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94