Pick ONLY ONE pot/pan

762X39

Explorer
I carry a dutch oven and a cast iron fry pan and love them both. Of course weight and space are not a consideration. We used to use a pressure cooker in the armed forces for field exercises and I was always impressed with how little it took (fuel and water) to prepare meals in them. Maybe I should add one to my collection. That would bring the count up to 3 though.If I have to limit what I carry, a small (10") cast iron frypan and lid will be it.

snare

Adventurer
I am seriously considering a carbon steel pan, like this Matfer Bourgeat here, in 11" - 12 7/8" :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=94F7ZJX4JYRMN2KAW6CN&th=1

I am liking them for the lighter weight, non stick when seasoned, quick clean up with less water use, quicker to heat up vs cast iron (so more fuel efficient), and can be used on an open fire.

I have used cast iron before as my one pan, for everyday living.

Any thoughts or experience using carbon steel while vehicle traveling?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Any thoughts or experience using carbon steel while vehicle traveling?

I've used both cast iron and high carbon wok as the one pan. Care and feeding of the pan is the same either way.

I prefer the wok as the one pan - easier to steam a whole chicken and some veggies in the wok than a pan. Easier to fry in a wok than a dutch oven.

But the one you linked above...one pan gotta have a lid, man.

Salue

Adventurer
We use carbon steel almost exclusive at home and bring at least the 12 inch carbon steel camping too. The brand we use is De Buyer. We use them so much more than our cast irons now. However, I do like the versatility of our wok as well!

Cheers,
Salue

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Only one pot. Why?

If it's for discussion only I'd say a stock pot which can do many things that a fry pan can't.

There are many options for space efficient camping/overlanding pots & pans so deciding "which 1 pot/pan" isn't a necessity.

gdlals

My personal favorite is the Lodge chicken fryer. Comes with a handle so it's more like a frying pan, but with a lid that will do almost as much as a dutch oven but smaller volume.

snare

Adventurer
I've used both cast iron and high carbon wok as the one pan. Care and feeding of the pan is the same either way.

I prefer the wok as the one pan - easier to steam a whole chicken and some veggies in the wok than a pan. Easier to fry in a wok than a dutch oven.

But the one you linked above...one pan gotta have a lid, man.

I am considering getting a silicone lid to use with the carbon steel 12" pan, something like this :

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GC6L...=UTF8&colid=47F6YOEY5UDH&coliid=I574YMMSMP4OB

Junkinduck

Observer
For a skillet lid a suitable size shallow stainless bowel with a handle on the side to get hold of. Double duty miltitasker.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I am considering getting a silicone lid to use with the carbon steel 12" pan, something like this :

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GC6L...=UTF8&colid=47F6YOEY5UDH&coliid=I574YMMSMP4OB

Uh...well, maybe. I can see for storage, or microwave, but I do a lot of lid lifting, eyeballing, sniffing, stirring and tasting. That silicone lid looks like it'd be a pain to put on / take off, especially to do it a bunch of times...

Think I'd rather have a metal lid with a handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles