Pick ONLY ONE pot/pan

rusty_tlc

Explorer
If you could only have ONE pot/pan what would it be?
I'm not talking just for overland but for all your cooking.
I'm leaning toward the Wok.
  • Great for any kind of frying or saute, from stir fry to fajitas, even scrambled eggs.
  • Good for deep frying.
  • Adequate for soups and stews and braising.
  • Very fuel efficient.

EricG

Explorer
Dutch oven/ cast iron pot. I've cooked fish,wings, bacon,potatoes, eggs,bread, chilie, beef stew.............beans, chicken...........

You can use it on a stove, in the oven, on the fire, beside the fire, above the fire.

They come in all sizes with and without legs.

Not really much you can't do with it, only draw back it that they are a little heavy.

Its the wonder pot.:sombrero:

Eric

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Dutch oven/ cast iron pot. I've cooked fish,wings, bacon,potatoes, eggs,bread, chilie, beef stew.............beans, chicken...........

You can use it on a stove, in the oven, on the fire, beside the fire, above the fire.

They come in all sizes with and without legs.

Not really much you can't do with it, only draw back it that they are a little heavy.

Its the wonder pot.:sombrero:

Eric
The DO was on my short list.
  • Wok
  • 6qt stock pot
  • Dutch Oven.
  • 14" Cast iron fry pan w/lid.
The wok won out mostly because it heats fast and is light weight.

w_b

Observer
x3 for the dutch oven.

You can cook with coals from the fire.

You can cook in the lid.

Easy to clean, wipe it out. And if it's really a mess, return it to heat, then wipe it out.

And I really do believe food tastes better from a well seasoned dutch oven.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Dutch oven all the way! I actually wish it didn't work so well because it's heavy and messy. We have a nifty little folding three legged stand from South Africa for ours and you can flip the lid over on it and use it for frying bacon and eggs.:drool: Plus if you can get the temp just right those Pillsbury biscuits come out about twice as big as in the oven at home.

I do worry a bit about cooking tomato based stuff in it though so I always cook that in our teflon coated camp cookware set.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Based on the above criteria, a wok with non-stick surface. Hands down the best overall. If I had one burner and one pot/pan that would be it.

I'm pretty attached to my pressure cooker too, but it's only really only good for soup, stew, rice, and pasta. Hmm, I guess I could survive on those things:drool:

And yes, the dutch oven is a cool device, but I could cook, eat, and clean up my wok meal before the dutch oven was even done cooking.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Based on the above criteria, a wok with non-stick surface. Hands down the best overall. If I had one burner and one pot/pan that would be it.

I'm pretty attached to my pressure cooker too, but it's only really only good for soup, stew, rice, and pasta. Hmm, I guess I could survive on those things:drool:

And yes, the dutch oven is a cool device, but I could cook, eat, and clean up my wok meal before the dutch oven was even done cooking.
Non-stick?
Season any steel wok just like cast iron and it will be non-stick. Ours is a 20+ year old hand hammered one. Both the inside and outside have a nice coat of carbon.

We just got a pressure cooker. I haven't used it much, I probably should.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
oh calamari your reasons are wrong on so many levels in my book, speed? non stick surface? makes me shudder.

rusty i'm kinda surprised you chose the wok over the DO.

a wok is a great tool, but it does take second seat to a camp dutch oven in my book, really, i can do everything in a dutch oven that i can in a wok, plus bake. it seems like such a perfect implement that it must have been invented by accident.

some things will take longer to cook in a DO, but most of those things cant be done well in a wok at all. besides, arent we camping to enjoy the overall experience? if it was all about speed i would eat a premade sammich, or granola bar.

another vote for a camp dutch oven

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If you could only have ONE pot/pan what would it be?
I'm not talking just for overland but for all your cooking.
I'm leaning toward the Wok.

rhino,

Based on this criteria, I picked a wok.

Dutch ovens are great. They are fun. I've been cooking with a dutch oven for over 25 years.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i hear ya, i was mostly thinkin the non stick surface would be teflon, and if scratched you now have no cookware. but i guess non stick doesnt have to be teflon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94