Neck Braces

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I lurk on ADVrider, too, and one of the topics that came up recently is these neck braces: Leatt Brace

This device sounds like a really good idea and I'm seriously considering getting one to minimize neck injury. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Graham

Bill Beers

Explorer
Hi Graham,

Let me preface by saying that I've not used the Leatt Brace. However I'm familiar with H & N restraints from the rally side of things, (I've got a HANS myself.) One of the things that impressed me about the Leatt Brace is that it meets SFI's 38.1 certification, (without relying on a car's harness,) in good company with HANS, Hutchens Hybrid and the R3, among others.

-Bill

Blair G

Adventurer
I was reading that thread as well over at ADV. Seems like the "Adventure" model would be the way to go. For me it would be decent time to consider it since my current riding gear is getting tired. I think you need to have a jacket custom fit to have the brace.

Blair

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Chris Leatt has spent very many years doing extensive development on those braces.
It's the real deal.
Very expensive to buy with my local currency though

Lok47

Observer
The adventure model is the lower priced version without the adjustability of the higher end models. I would personally get the standard version, that adjustability is well worth the money. The company itself seems to be very helpful and shipped me a bunch of parts quickly when I needed them.

When you put one on at first, you will notice it rubs a little bit, but after a while you get used to it. It is a well designed piece of protective equipment, but I do not like how it opens on the side. Check out Troy Lee Designs, they make a jacket that seems to be made with the Leatt in mind.

As far as rumors of broken collar bones, I haven't had any issues with it either. I had a collision with another rider at 60 mph on the pavement and walked away fine. I've had other tip overs and crashes throughout the past year since I've owned it. I'd recommend buying one, you won't regret it.

Hayduke950

Observer
Acerbis makes a Leatt compatible jacket as well... in the US you can get them from MX1 West.

I haven't ridden with one yet, but I think it will be my next bit of kit I buy.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The instructions say you can wear the brace over a jacket so theoretically new clothing wouldn't be necessary?

Cheers,
Graham

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Leaving aside track day usage and its playing in the dirt equivalent, when the risk of injury is high. If you're considering this or similar for everyday riding you begin to wonder at what point does all the safety gear begin to suck the fun out of going for a ride.

I'm an ATGATT rider, but before I worked from a home office (lovely), I seldom road the bike to work simply because dealing with the gear was such a hassle.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior