Overland Journal: G-Wagen

toyrunner95

Explorer
I just saw a 2dr version of that at Home Depot.

In about 2 weeks guys, you all watch, he will end up with the RV from Jurassic Park. He will take it to baja and save whales or something.

And i second the pics of the "fleet"

P.S. why dont you buy a shop with a couple lifts so Overland Journal can start doing build ups.

Scott Brady

Founder
This one is actually a dark navy blue, and varies between blue and black, depending on the light. We will probably paint it a cream white, or silver. Whichever Stephanie prefers.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Is this about the same size with regard to cargo space as a Disco? Every time I see one they always seem small next to the Trooper.

Scott Brady

Founder
The G is similar in storage volume to the Trooper, with the square box and big rear door. The wheelbase is 112 inches, a full foot longer than the Discovery.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The G is similar in storage volume to the Trooper, with the square box and big rear door. The wheelbase is 112 inches, a full foot longer than the Discovery.
So what's the story on these? Are they IFS, live axle, diesel? I've heard of them, just never seen one up close. What are you planning, ARB bumper, etc.?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Nice! Looks like it came with some goodies on it already. So far to your knowledge what has been done to it?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The prior owner just replaced the engine, transmission and transfer case for good measure, upgrading the 3.2 six to the 3.6 six, including a few Braubus goodies ;)
How many miles did he/she get out of the original motor/trans/transfer case?

PS- Just got back from looking at some more G-Wagens... :drool:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WHOA!!! I read all of those other posts but I had no idea you were actualy going to pull the trigger on yet ANOTHER sweet if not somewhat obscure (in N. AMerica) rig. I can't wait to see what you do to this thing. I have hopes it's like the Green "military-ish" one I posted in the old GWagen thread. Sweet truck and congrats on the new family member ;)

I for one can't wait to hear your impressions of this thing. You have pretty much owned MOST of the best platforms available in my eyes so, to me, you make a good vehicle tester. I personaly think that form the spec sheets, aside form engines, this thing is the closest to a Toyota HZJ78. They even kind of look like one another eh.

The G is similar in storage volume to the Trooper, with the square box and big rear door...
That's great, I LOVED our old 1st Gen Trooper (well except for the 2.8GM V6) espescialy for it's cargo load capacity. The thing really was huge inside, and I loved the ambulance doors as well. If the G-Wagen is that big thats awesome (and it is since you have now confirmed it ;) ) And I take it from your post it also has the ambulance doors like Toopers/70ser Troupy's etc, While I love having a tail-gate sometimes, I really liked having those doors on both our Troupy's in OZ and the Troopers I grew up driving. Certainly there can be some downsides sometimes but in general I liked them alot.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Gwagen.com is the web site for Europa International, the Santa Fe NM company that used to be sole importer for the Gelandewagen. They have a diesel-powered G-Wagen with custom ExPo camper for sale on their web site here
http://www.gwagen.com/search.php

There's no price listed. I suspect it's in the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" category.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles