Overland Journal: G-Wagen

39Ronin

Adventurer
The diesel 460 is what I own and is great with the exception of power, I am in the middle of an OM617A (turbo version from the a 300D) rebuild / swap and I cannot wait for the extra horses to show up. Mountain driving is not fun in the NA OM617 G, I have to constantly anticipate hills and passing as I drive. I am not in a hurry but going up hills at 65km per hour is challenge, its seems I am always neck and neck with 18 wheelers hauling concrete highway dividers. Just my 2 pennies.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i have to say, I've been a g-wagon fan for a long time. I'm a big M-benz fan anyway having had a family diesel sedan when I was a kid. We called her Cecil the Diesel. Very solid rig that we sold cuz my mom didn't like the diesel smell...??...lol.

I see a few non 500's around here in san diego, but they're rare. As in, like 2 total seen in the 9 years living here. Lots of 500's in La Jolla and coronado, though.

I'd totally rock a g500, if it was pro-painted in black and desert tan. :)

great discussion so far. I agree on limiting the mods. I've seen these offroad, and they just always seem to scrabble, lumber or crash their way over whatevers in front of them.

-B

Scott Brady

Founder
We installed and are testing the G-Wagen Accessories spare tire storage compartment.

PB060122.JPG

The spare tire on the G-Klass is mounted with the face of the wheel against the door, which leaves a 7" deep space normally covered by the very "blingy" factory wheel cover.

Nathan spent a few days inspecting, fitting and testing the unit and wrote a tech piece for the home page. You can see the full install and his thoughts here: Storage solution for your G-Klass

PB060142.JPG

Alkazar

Man, G wagen just looks the business. Awesome.:drool:
Can you share more about your G wagen engine and other electronics reliability?
Were you specifically looking for the 320 engine?
Do you consider it powerful enough for say a fully loaded expedition G? Thanks

Alkazar

I have to agree that the G wagen looks the best in white.

Attachments

• 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 259
  • index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 163

Scott Brady

Founder
Man, G wagen just looks the business. Awesome.:drool:
Can you share more about your G wagen engine and other electronics reliability?
Were you specifically looking for the 320 engine?
Do you consider it powerful enough for say a fully loaded expedition G? Thanks

Well, the truck has been perfectly reliable over the last 1.5 years and then a few weeks ago, I needed to swap an ignition coil. In reality, the condition of the truck and the perfection by which it goes about its duties is shocking given the 190,000 miles on the chassis. The motor/trans/t-case has less than 30,000 miles on it.

This truck (a G320) has a Brabus 3.6L that was swapped in. I consider it more than adequate on the trail and road with that motor (about 285HP). These are heavy trucks though, weighing 5,400lbs. stock. It is no speed deamon.

Mike Serpe

Observer
Removal of front sway bar

Here's the dealio....

On the G, the removal of the front sway bar will have a variable affect.
What it comes down to is the following....

How much weight do you intend to carry, and what engine weight?

What springs you want to run?

What type of offroading do you do?

If you don't do rock crawl stuff, then removal of it is without purpose, it surely will help in a panic steering situation on a baja highway if your car is loaded with gear, and especially all of those roof rack loaded Gs are helped by keeping the bar on.

If you tend to get car sick, or your passengers do, then the bar definately helps that issue on twistie mtn roads.

The stock springs are not that stiff, so they allow for a good bit of body roll if you are not a trained driver, or react too quick to a suprise deer in the road.....here the front bar helps keep both front wheels on the ground, with more equal weight. Anytime you get a lot of body roll, and there is weight transfer, then even if your outside wheel is still on the ground, it still has less traction.

However, if you lift the G, you need to remove it, or make it's hangers longer.

If lifting it means body lift, then this is not relevant, but if lifting it means a spring lift, ie stiffer springs, then you can be OK removing it, because the stiffer springs will not allow the G to be so prone to body roll.

Part of the benefit of the progressive coils in the back, is the ability to load the car up and have it react the same as being empty when turning at speed. Rebound of the suspension is very well controlled.....unlike leaf spring vehicles which are like shooting a bow and arrow on release.

The springs in the front are not progressive because the front axle weight does not change that much with load differences as compared to the back.

The bar is there mostly for sharp turn in body roll limiting.

A well trained and practiced driver, is not going to do sharp turn-ins in a heavily laden truck at speed......but a novice? or a panic brake/steer responder?

you can see why the lawyers keep it on the car.

I've always told my students, in a panic situation, you still need to somehow refrain from sharp driver inputs. The best drivers are able to stay calm in these situations enough to react, but do so with a fluid style...

in my own opinion... I'd rather hit the deer, than go flying off the road or flip.

But if that deer is an Autocar dumptruck, well then one must find a path around!

Attachments

• trail5.JPG
    trail5.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 222
  • Serpe Gmoab.jpg
    Serpe Gmoab.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 226
  • mike flexing G500.jpg
    mike flexing G500.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 250

zimm

Expedition Leader
I have to agree that the G wagen looks the best in white.

yes, but white REALLY needs a black grill. the all white grill makes the truck look like the car version of a NJ beach guido. you know, wearing all white accessories, watch, belt, sunglasses, hat...etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
white REALLY needs a black grill.

Zimm speaks the truth.

I just got some quotes on the repaint. To go silver (what Stephanie wants) and repair the b-pillar rust and a notable DS door ding, it is going to be $5,000. I have no idea what repaints should be for.

This guys work is nice, and he specializes in show cars, restorations and custom work.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm speaks the truth.

I just got some quotes on the repaint. To go silver (what Stephanie wants) and repair the b-pillar rust and a notable DS door ding, it is going to be $5,000. I have no idea what repaints should be for.

This guys work is nice, and he specializes in show cars, restorations and custom work.

too much. youre gonna use the truck off road, and while where you live there arnt as many branches, in the eastern forests trails grow partially over in one year. the first time you hear the screeching noise from inside the cab, youre gonna regret spending that. this isnt the 65 mustang of your dreams, its a truck.

besides, its a color change. unless you yank the drive train and interior, it'll never be "right" and perfect.

if its gonna drive you that nuts, you'd be better off selling it for 18-20, adding on the 5, and getting a 2002 with all the bulletins completed. even if it costs you 2g more, youll end up with an all factory rig (easy wordwide repairs at MB compared to explaining to the colombian service tech about brabus motors) with 100,000 fewer miles.

i think youre at the point where you either use it and enjoy it, or ditch it for the right color, magazine articles be dammed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles