Overland Journal: G-Wagen

aw990200

Did Brady get rid of the G-Wagen? I don't see it on his list of vehicles anymore, but I did notice an MKIII (maybe I missed that one in the past).

Scott Brady

Founder
It is still part of the fleet, but Viking Overland has been building it out over the past year. We will start posting more updates.

haven

Expedition Leader
You can tell the 2013 twin turbo 5.5L G63 by its larger grill openings

2013-MBZ-G63.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
id prefer that they design a windshield seal that doesnt leak before they go stiffing re-re motors into the thing. but, the original owners dont keep em long enough to care, i suppose.

otiswesty

Regular guy
id prefer that they design a windshield seal that doesnt leak before they go stiffing re-re motors into the thing. but, the original owners dont keep em long enough to care, i suppose.

2002+ windshields do not leak. They now have an adhesive sealant between the frame and rubber seal. Harald has posted some pics of his windshield replacement project which clearly show the original sealant in place.

Eric

koly

Observer
Good answer, it has the look of a lense cover. Surely you g-wagen nuts know what it is.

The big grills on the lower section of the bumper are for the intercoolers for the turbos, and the lens is for the Mercedes DISTRONIC Plus cruise control (if you watch BBC's Top Gear, it's the same system from the S Class that Jeremy Clarkson tested where the car slows itself under cruise control - and will even stop itself depending on the distance to the vehicle in front of it).

Scott, check out the new Vermont Overland 1: www.vermontoverland.com. Really clean truck. And BTW, 33x10.5x15 KM2's on stock alloys fits perfectly with stock springs with no mods whatsoever. Rover just didn't suit me and I could never get my '80 300 GDt out of my head! This one's petrol, but it's really nice for touring around VT as you can stop at any mom and pop general store for fuel.

otiswesty

Regular guy
The biggest thing I noticed on my 300GD with 33's was (in addition to the power robbing effects) that the braking distances were also really lengthened. Fitment of 33's was no problem, no rubbing at full compression. I had 33x9.5x15 though.
There are solutions to the braking issues in the 460 like a bigger brake booster and a few other tricks I saw on the 4x4abc website. I had already sold the 300GD by the time I ever saw these ideas.
The power of the 280GE is far in excess of the stock 300GD, but the fuel economy is not ideal.
I drive the G500 model now in which the power and braking effects of 33's are negligible. I love the 460 Gwagens though, and I feel that they operate most effectively when they are configured in a way that is close to the stock designs.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
otiswesty;1118287 There are solutions to the braking issues in the 460 like a bigger brake booster and a few other tricks I saw on the 4x4abc website. [/QUOTE said:
Did he mentioned a Danforth Anchor, dropped out from below the rear bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles