Robthebrit

Explorer
In another post Scott suggested I post an intro, and as I have a couple of unimogs this forum is a good place.

I just stumbled on this expedition site and its pretty awesome, I'm in LA, originally from the UK and have a done a fair bit of driving around the southwest deserts. I have two unimogs, one is a small (relatively) 421 which I have had for a number of years, it has a footprint that is smaller than a jeep - great trail runner. 20 speed forwards and backwards, not so good for long distance as it drives like a tractor and only does 40mph (full speed in the lowest crawler is 90 meters an hour!).

The other unimog which is my avatar is my travel truck, its a 416/U1100 double cab, 60mph max speed, none turbo OM352, 15 mpg. Its an 2x4 speed tranny (forward and reverse), it was originally used as a train shunt so although it is a stick shift it has a torque converter (takes the heavy loads off the clutch), it makes off road driving feel like you are cheating. It has two engel fridges mounted in the back, a zantrex split charge system, longer range tank, various lights, CD radio/CB/GPS, it has a hot water shower which is not 100% installed. I have a custom canvas back and am looking to install one of the autohome rooftop tents with awning in the near future.

you can go to http://unimogs.robanddenise.com/gallery/main.php to see some pics. These are mainly just pictures of the trucks and nothing expedition related. I'll get some more posted.

Hopefully, one day, I'll join some of you guys on a trip.

Rob

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Amazing vehicles those Unimogs!
Welcome to ExPo!
Someday I hope we get a chance to meet...with the Unimog of course!
:D
Ed

Robthebrit

Explorer
Absolutely, if anybody is in the LA area (for any reason) and wants to stop by to take a break, drink a beer and play with the mogs then just give me a shout.

Rob

Blair G

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
Absolutely, if anybody is in the LA area (for any reason) and wants to stop by to take a break, drink a beer and play with the mogs then just give me a shout.

Rob

I really want to! Hi Rob:wavey:
Blair

Scott Brady

Founder
Robthebrit said:

Rob

We should plan an L.A. meet and greet. I often work in Claremont and stay in Glendale (with family).

I grew up in Sherman Oaks.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Scott, I live down the street from you. Basically where burbank/north hollywood meet (oxnard/laural canyon). Its pretty close to Glendale too.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles