Blazer Chalet

cipioxx

Observer
Thanks. I tried to contact him through ebay and they wouldn't let me due to the fact that I didn't have any open transactions with him. That is a nice vehicle....

CLynn85

Explorer
I saw one yesterday, and it totally caught me off guard. We had Columbus day off so I decided to take a break from doing work and go for a ride, while looking for a trail I had seen on my atlas I (after making the wrong turn) ended up on a road that I personally would not want to live on, but there was a trailer and parked outside were an assortment of old cars, one of which was a tan colored blazer chalet. Doesn't look like it's moved for the past 5-10 yrs or so.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Cipioxx,

On the assumption you are an eBay member, did you try the "contact member" feature from this page? http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=brookridgefarm I'll try it myself to see if I get a response, he didn't respond to my last inquiry about the curtains. I think he wants to sell the thing all at one time. It looks somewhat ok, but that rust problem may mean the Blazer part of it is terminal.

Carl,

It may be entertaining if you could inquire about the one you saw, maybe they'd sell it for mere pennies just to get rid of it. On the other hand, these things are really rare (1555 '76 & '77 Chalets, 225 '76 & '77 GMC Casa Grandes), but there is no real value to that. They appear on eBay about once a month on average, I've seen junkers sell for as little as $102, decent ones go for between $2000 to $4000, but one I saw personally in Johnstown PA late last summer sold in October on eBay for $10,000. Don't know what to say about that one, it was in worse shape than mine, I only paid $3900.
Patience is the key for getting a good deal on one, and making sure it is in salvageable shape.

Last edited:

cipioxx

Observer
Thanks Buddy. I am an ebay member and after I logged in, I tried "contact seller" and got the message I listed above. I'm going to check out some junkyards Saturday morning. I'll start new thread and post my findings if ther is anything decent out there.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Cipioxx,

PM sent to you with the email address for the guy in Yardley PA - he says he sold the Blazer part but still has the camper. You could put it on your '87 Blazer with some effort. In our Yahoo Autos group forum (free signup, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChevyK5BlazerChalets/ ) one our members plans to put the Chalet camper he just bought on a newer diesel Blazer, the eBay-sourced photos of his camper are in the last post in this link: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35058#post35058

And for anyone else interested, I don't know how old this link is, but it shows a really nice possibly original Chalet that supposedly sold for big bucks: http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,691813.html#

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Wanderer,

Yes indeed, that one is still available, I forget what the price was a few months ago, maybe over $2,000. A while back, another of my fellow Chalet owners forwarded two color photos of it (below), the back view confirmed my Chalet's stripes had been altered. Doug W. & Aaron S.'s Blazer Chalet web site has an automated buy & sell page ( http://www.blazerchalet.com/cgi-bin/buysell.pl ), although it doesn't always indicate ones that are sold. I believe the "Thomas Sisneros" one is also still available - see: http://www.chieftain.com/classifieds/index.php?d=6&a=2&m=1&s=4&ls=10&lmt=10 the 11th item on page 2 of that link, the owners were kind enough to email more photos of it to me just last Sunday......

I try to keep a good eye out for these, and help the sellers with web links that would let their potential customers know that there is a small 'support group' of us that can help out with questions, restorations, parts swapping, vintage owner's manuals, all that good stuff. I've still got various questions of my own, I'm no expert on Chalets yet.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for wherever these are. The more people we have looking around for 'em, the better off we are. Were you able to get near the one you spotted back in Oct for a photo?

Meanwhile, I didn't get a chance to mention one that popped up briefly in cars.com, one of the members of our Chalet owners forum (see post #20 in this thread for the link) fortunately lives nearby and was able to get the photo below - the web ad isn't there anymore so I've reproduced it here, some expire quicker than others: $1,000, CHEVY Blazer K5 Chalet 1977, New tires, Only 5k mi on New 350 engine, $1000. 916-334-6274 Listing Source: Sacramento Bee, 12-22-06

It would be a heckuva chore to put the roof back on......

CLynn85

Explorer
Nah I haven't made it back up there yet, but I'll try in the spring.

You should start a registry for these things.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Carl,

Much appreciated, if you do get up that way, ya never know what you might discover by checking it out in depth. Keep your eye out for the GMC Jimmy Casa Grande version, too, only supposedly 225 of those made between '76 and '77. Through a recent internet search, I dredged up a 'vehicle list' at a sportscar forum site where the guy claimed to own one. Sure enough, he still does. Pic below, seems to have a Jimmy color scheme we-all weren't aware of before.

3-15-2008 Edit: the owner confirms it was repainted from the original beige/burnt orange standard color scheme for '76s....

Attachments

• #0993 Casa Grande 1.jpg
    #0993 Casa Grande 1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
CLynn85 said:
Nah I haven't made it back up there yet, but I'll try in the spring.

You should start a registry for these things.
Done! ....., but not quite, I'll add more as we-all find more. Quit my last job, starting a new business in a couple of months, but in the meantime I had time to put together the "mother of all spreadsheets" for every Blazer Chalet & Casa Grande I could dredge up, with photos to ID 'em or distinct descriptions so they can't be confused with others. My list is up 125 so far. Sure would like find the current whereabouts of old descriptions such as....

.....this one: At this brochure & magazine scan site http://brochures.slosh.com/index.shtml?chalet scroll down the left column and click on the Treasure Search link. Anybody seen the Chalet in that article or know the owner Ken Doe? The most noticeable features are the Cepek tires, driving lights under the bumper, evap cooler on the roof, black fender flares, and Egyptian icon decorations in the interior. After an extensive google search, I can turn up nothing on the publisher of Treasure Search, Ken Doe or find out anything more about the magazine other than a couple of back issues for sale on eBay. It isn't published anymore (?) According to the article, Ken's primary treasure hunting area was southern California.

That magazine article is currently our primary source for the "1,780" total production figure for Chalets & Casa Grandes, which leads me to wonder how Ken Doe knew that. I have leads for two other former Chinook Mobilodge top management guys, we will get to the bottom of the absolute total production figure eventually....

Attachments

• treasure search chalet.jpeg
    treasure search chalet.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

franks71vw

Blazer camper top

Just wondering but Looking into building a K5 blazer with a cummins 4 cylinder diesel in it. I was going to go with a small pickup and a camper top but though the K5 would be much more stable and I could use it as a pickup (small but non the less) and put a camper like the chalet. Question here is who makes camper tops for the K5 blazer now n days? With a trailer behind me I think I can carry a good amount of equipment with me..:safari-rig:

Mobryan

Adventurer
I think your best bet would be finding something used, or using a FWC Hawk for a base. It would be narrower then you need, but that would help with COG issues. You could probably build some drawers to fill the gap between the side of the camper and the side of the Blazer for the back, and fuel/water tanks to fit between the camper and blazer box up front.

No pass through that way, though :(

Matt

rebar

Adventurer
Just wondering but Looking into building a K5 blazer with a cummins 4 cylinder diesel in it. :
Yeah, I know its a old post.

I'm thinking about buying a cummins blazer from a buddy because it can accept the Chalet I have found.

Its a lot of extra weight and it was not designed to be removed easily. Once that shell is unbolted from the K5 its VERY easy to damage.

I was really interested in converting our 79 K5 to a Chalet but sold the truck in favor of something with 4 doors.

I always thought it would be interesting to modify a Suburban and mount a Chalet body too it. The big problem is Subs of that rear range have a higher roof line then a K5 so it would require a LOT of work to do the conversion and get the Chalet to fit correctly. (But the right bomb diesel Sub show up on my door step while I have cash in pocket it might still happen one day.)

Grim Reaper, why is it so easy to damage the Chalet removing and installing it? Is it the zero clearance to the cab? Or does the Chalet lose allot of its strength when unbolted? How many bolts and what is used to pick it? Any ideas about modifying it to be easier to remove and install?

I like your idea about grafting a chalet to another vehicle.. I gave up on converting my cummins van to 4x4 and hoping to use the blazer because of the big pass through.. The avalanche might also be a option..

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94