Snorkel Wars

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
197177297_64e716342a_b.jpg

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
On my Toyota tacoma, the stock intake is inside the right fender. This is probably in a bow-wake safe zone in most situations, but I don't see any good reason not to relocate it to a higher position, especially if ARB makes a bolt-on part that fits the truck perfectly. In the event of a deep water crossing, it will at least maximize any chance that I might have to prevent sucking water into the engine and dealing with hydrolock. If the truck has become immobile, I can shut the engine off. I may end up with water in the engine due to the exhaust, but at least the pistons will not be pounding water. As far as the radiator goes, it's the same deal - if the truck gets stuck and starts to take water in the engine bay, you can turn the engine off. Am I wrong?
Anyway, I am off to the mall... See you guys later :wavey:

asteffes

Explorer
It seems to me there are some advantages to the snorkel besides puting the air intake up high and keeping water out. One could wrap cheesecloth or similar material around the snorkel opening to pre-clean the air. On a long-distance trip this may really help cut down on the dirt that reaches the airbox and/or clogs the main air filter. One could also rotate the intake to face the rear to keep it out of the direct path of airborne debris.

I suppose it's a much-less-elegant approach to the cyclonic filter doodads but it would be cheap insurance.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I liked having it in Alaska - I am thinking of the cyclone for the top when I am on dusty roads

Attachments

• 060711__mg_0285_std.jpg
    060711__mg_0285_std.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 249

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Seems this topic pops up every couple months once place or the other.

Sure, its not done 100% to par if everything else isn't sealed... but sealing everything else is fairly easy IMHO, we do it on all the snorkel installs we do.

I'm not going to argue a snorkel is for everyone, then again neither is a winch or welder... ;)

I've personally seen snorkels save many a motors (including my own)...

The line from the left of the AC housing goes down to the dizzy. The gearbox's/axles go to the snorkel and I still need to get around to plumbing the ARB compressor to the snorkel. My compressor is ~4' off the ground and took on water once, trashed the pump. What are the odds it would cycles during the couple minutes I was in the water... :088:

Attachments

• snorkel_pics 004.jpg
    snorkel_pics 004.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 193

cruiseroutfit

tencha-rio3.jpg

the owner of the 60 series diesel said:
The story .. some drinks, nice trip with friends, we need to cross the river. I walk the right way to cross teh river, no more than 4 feets deep. Again some drinks and I take the wrong way fortunately, some buddyes winchme back and no more problmes than my camera and my bag in the water ( the water inside my Cruiser over my passenger sit ) my engine running hole time ..

I see some humidity in my air box, maybe after 20 min inder water .. I thought is fine ..

Tell him snorkels are for mall cruisers ;)

cruiseroutfit

Oh yeah, I must add... the ease of sealing up the rig is going to depend on the rig obviously. Later model Landcruisers (and those with upgraded components) have an o-ring sealed dizzy, so you can literally just plumb to the nipple on the dizzy cap and plug the other and you are fine. The axles are easy to seal, they come with fittings from the factory, the trans/tc will take a bit more work as the line is on the top of the gearboxes, all in all not an issue.

Exhaust is only an issue if your motor is likely to stall... I have had my Cruiser in 3'+ water countless times with my exhaust (sits ~25" up) under, it gurgles away... sure if it dies your in trouble, but thats all part of the game ;)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
This isn't as big of a can-0-worms as I figured it would be by now.

Like I said...they have their applications. There are a few people running around that would be wise to have one....but if DesertDude is correct in that they are "chick magnets".....I'm gonna go get two!:elkgrin: (i need all the help I can get.....those of you who were around for the "OH! Your the guy with the dog that pukes!" story know what I am talking about.)

articulate

Expedition Leader
Can-o-worms? HA! It came close. Although, more snorkel detractors showed up than I thought existed around here. :violent-smiley-031:

I have to say, though, the conversation at the campfire was far more laced with jest. Such is the internet. It's often hard to tell when someone is joking, anyway.

What remains is that each of us is allowed to do what ever we want to our vehicles, regardless of the practical - or impractical - value of the mods. Which is what makes conversation about the mods so fun and intriguing.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, Mark, I finally have to chime in on this one. Who gives a crap?! Now that I am single, and reading the awesome anecdotes about what girls were saying to you guys with snorkels, it has become a must have for the Trooper. Besides, how many snorkeled 98 Troopers do you see cruising around? Looks cool, is functional, and chicks dig em. Enough said. I think this thread should be locked now.:sombrero:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Oh, and I also forgot to add the most important part that Scott taught us about snorkels this weekend....... They increase the safety factor of your vehicle ten fold. Remember that Wendy.:jump:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yes, there are quite a few here who aren't big snorkle fans. But that shouldn't stop anyone from buying something they want or feel they need. Afterall, it is their vehicle and their money. Not everyone prioritizes things like I (or anyone else) does. But regardless of how much I do or don't like them...they are still better than fake beadlocks!:violent-smiley-031:

articulate

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
But regardless of how much I do or don't like them...they are still better than fake beadlocks!:violent-smiley-031:
:xxrotflma

(I love the violent smiley.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94