Simple storage solutions

pangaea

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Very nice!! Seeing those screens reminds me that I bought some screen that I need to get made into full-length removeable screens for my windoors. Not as much of a worry now that summer is over.

Nathan has some super top-notch stuff. I am going to try to talk Scott into letting me play with one of his Storm cases to determine which size I might like to get. I want to get one (or two) for the roof rack.

If there any sizes in particular that you're looking at, let me know. I've got piles of different sizes that I use for my rig depending on the outing. And since my wife isn't going to be able to make it either, I've got plenty of spare room in the vehicle to throw a couple in.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Are the Pangaea Stormcases waterproof? Bit pricey but looks to offer good protection for expensive items - camera's etc. How do they compare with the ARB Space case?

pangaea

Adventurer
The BN Guy said:
Are the Pangaea Stormcases waterproof? Bit pricey but looks to offer good protection for expensive items - camera's etc. How do they compare with the ARB Space case?

Not familiar with the ARB Space case, but yes the Storms are waterproof... Of course, my favorite feature about them is the lifetime guarantee, since I tend to be pretty rough on my gear.

gjackson

FRGS

Dunno about the ARB case either. Best comparison is with the Pelican case. I like the Storm better because of the locking latch and the full length hinge. Certainly waterproof. Has a pressure valve, so I would assume airtight as well. Though I have never submerged mine for a water test.

cheers

Graham
www.africaoverland.org

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pangaea said:
If there any sizes in particular that you're looking at, let me know. I've got piles of different sizes that I use for my rig depending on the outing. And since my wife isn't going to be able to make it either, I've got plenty of spare room in the vehicle to throw a couple in.

Dang, sorry to hear she cannot make it. Thank you for the offer. I will mull over my stuff and try to figure out what sizes might work the best.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
So here is the second prototype.
I made it for about $5 using discounted not-so-perfect wood from Home Depot. The trick there is that if you don't need the entire 4x8 sheet you can just cut off the not-so-perfect part! And the carpet and 1" of padding were taken from a big scrap piece left over from a home remodel down the street!

It's just a platform with about 7" of space underneath. Enought space to put two plastic storage boxes filled with tools, recovery gear and a change of clothes. And a bit of extra space for a rope and air compressor.

This gives me a place to keep those boxes while still having a padded floor for Oliver the dog to ride or a functional cargo area for trips to Costco.

The two empty spaces to either side of the platform are where the two jumpseats used to be. They never get used so I took them out and now put two 5 gallon water jugs on the left side and a cooler and backpack of gear on the right side.

The 3rd prototype will most likely include a droor system of some sort.

Attachments

• DCP_7590.JPG
    DCP_7590.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DCP_7589.JPG
    DCP_7589.JPG
    441.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DCP_7585.JPG
    DCP_7585.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 149

60seriesguy

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
I like the idea that 60seriesguy is working on. When you say cargo net across the top - I am picturing the net suspended horizontally, like a "gear loft" kind of thing. Is that what you mean? I am actually thinking about trying that out for my camper too. I have started adding some eyelets to the inside of my roof rack brackets, that can be used for some net hooks to fasten to. I thought it would be nice just for maybe a fleece jacket or hat, and some maps - to be able to easily grab them.

Exactly! I designed an external vertical hoop (see picture) with another hoop inside, hinged at the top. This vertical hoop will be held in place by two horizontal runners that go parallel to the roof, above the rear side windows, then come down the D pillar and bolt to the inside of the body, right above the cargo panels. This will enable me to swing the cargo barrier backwards towards the ass-end of the truck to reach cargo from inside if I need to (though most of the time it will be pinned securely into place).

The net will be suspended horizontally between the two horizontal runners, and will create a space of about 4-6" between it and the headliner, which will be perfect to carry jackets, blankets, and pillows out of the way and within easy reach. I did some preliminary testing and it shouldn't impede the rear visibility too bad, not any worse than the spare tire and freezer/fridge, anyway!

Attachments

• cargo barrier.JPG
    cargo barrier.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 128

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Very nice :cool: Be sure to post a couple more pics when you have the barrier and net in place.

McVick, looks great ;) I like the price tag.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 36318A5E-7B28-441A-B11B-9615B047237F.jpg
    36318A5E-7B28-441A-B11B-9615B047237F.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 1

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am planning on building something like this for the Trooper, but with a removeable front module that I can use when the back seats are folded, and removed for when I need the seats. I am concerned about the weight of the wood though. Do you think it would be too heavy? Or should I use a different material?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words!

datrupr
I don't think the wood will be too heavy, I don't think you need to use much thicker than 1/2 inch.
Also another option on materials is a product called StarBoard, you can find it in marine shops. Its very durable and easy to work with but expensive for what it is.

gjackson

FRGS
Hmm. Advantage of wood is it is easy to work with. But the weight can be a problem. I guess it depends on how extensive a system you are planning. I don't think a couple of drawers in wood would be too bad. Friends of ours made a removable double drawer system for the back of a Defender110. It took 2 people to get in and out, but was great otherwise.

cheers

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I just finished a set of drawers for my FJ40. It is a 3/4" maple ply carcase, and 9 mm baltic birch ply drawers. I trimmed the ends (exposed plywood) with white oak for both looks and durability. I have a total of 10 ring tiedowns: 3 on each side, 2 on the front end and 2 on top. I also have a map pocket on the front end (centered between the seats) so I can have all my folded maps and guidebooks (if any) in a pocket just to my right side.

The drawer slides are rated at 400# and 150#. The left side is 36" long. The right drawer is shorter at 24" because I have a battery compartment & Optima Yellow Top on the right side (behind the passenger seat). The short drawer has dividers that I can remove if desired. The drawer pulls are cast metal and recessed flush with the drawer faces.

Very heavy...a two person lift unless disassembled. They're pretty nice, but not exactly what you might call simple. I tried them out on a weekend trip last weekend, and will be at the Expedition Trophy Fall Forum Gathering on Nov. 11th.

drawers1.jpg

I could have done it simpler, but woodworking is another hobby I enjoy, so I just HAD to do it more elaborate. :elkgrin:

Ed :D

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Ed, that is gorgeous! I am definitely looking forward to seeing your LC. It's a very photogenic machine.

I think weight is definitely an issue for those of us who end up having to push GVWR to satisfy our plans. My cargo system is done with wood, but still fairly light since I use plastic drawers and bins and don't have any ball-bearing roller hardware. I also used very light plywood but since I don't have any substantial spans that are unsupported, it is very sturdy. The result is something that looks not quite so "beautiful" (that's for sure) but luckily it has taken a beating for almost 8 years worth of trips without failing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94