Help a bike Noob find a dual sport

AAXD

I've been lusting for a dual sport for some time now. My ride for the past 2 years has been an 07 Ruckus that is basically stock, except for a set of studded tires for winter. A little background about myself, I'm 25 and 5'7" and live in Alaska, and I'm a Land Rover nerd (I have a Disco and 2 Series rigs). My Ruckus is an awesome little machine but it gets kind of hair raising riding 30 miles to work every day at 38-42mph on rough roads when cars are going by doing 60+. I really don't know much about dual sports, but a lot of my friends ride them and most are BMW's. I have sat on a 98 Funduro that my friend who is shorter than I am rides daily as well as a newer F650GS, which seems to fit me like a glove. I couldn't even get my leg up on another friends R1150GS Adventure so as much as I like them, they are out of the question. I'll be taking a local MSF course this spring, probably on the Ruckus unless my buddy loans me his Funduro. I've been searching Ebay for a while and the bikes that have caught my eye so far are the F650 series, KLR650 and Triumph Tiger. What ever bike I buy, it'll have to be shipped here to Kodiak Island, so I won't get to ride it before I buy unfortunately. What would be the best bike for a new rider such as myself? I plan to ride as much as possible. I ride my Ruckus all winter long no matter the weather so I'm no stranger to punishment. Thanks
Edit: should mention I want to be able to tackle some pretty rough terrain but still have some road comfort, if this helps.

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
best is a very loaded question of course. check out the yamaha tw200. on the less expensive side. very durable. more of a bike than the ruckus but not nearly as much of an on road bike as some of the other you mentioned.

then i would look at the suzuki dr650, very inexpense comparetively speaking. tons of aftermarket support. very realiable. can be lowered for your height if needed. easy to find used. decent on road for not so long trips and excellent offroad..

ThomD

Explorer
advrider.com is the place to go for the widest exposure.

VStrom is often thought of as a top choice for 80% road/20% dirt.

The Kawi Versys (sp?) is newer to market, so less info is available. (Full disclosure - it is roughly based on the 650r, which is my commute bike.)

The KLR got a completely new design last year (or the year before) after about 20 years of little change (or did it just seem that way?). Both versions are well thought of - the older one for durability and simplicity and the newer one for modern improvements.

There probably isn't a clear choice on paper, so think about parts & service, local knowledge, after market bits you might want. Maybe look for a model that is known to have enough spare electrical power to run heated grips and a jacket easily.

Personally, I always thought of the 1100+ BMWs as the wrong tool for the job. Yes, you can take them off road, but that doesn't make them particularly well suited for it. (Hint, what does the bike weigh and how will you pick it up?)

For a more dirt oriented out look, check out the DRZ SM-400

I don't know much about the Rukus, but if it doesn't have a clutch it probably will not be allowed in the MSF class. Use their bikes, just in case you do drop it.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Anything that is "great" on the road will be a compromise in tough terrain....and anything that is "great" in the tough terrain will be a compromise on the roads....just the way it is.

Defining "pretty rough terrain" will help you figure out what you need...that definition is different for each rider. Just remember, no one bike is "great" at everything.

Clutch

<---Pass
Edit: should mention I want to be able to tackle some pretty rough terrain but still have "some" road comfort, if this helps.

These will feel like Cadillacs compared to the Rukus.

Honda XR 650/ XR400
As mentioned, Suzuki DR 650, or the DRZ 400
KTM 640(old model)/690(new model)
BMW 650 X-Challenge (ditch the rear airshock, it over heats causing spasmastic shock absorbtion, or the lack there of)

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have a KTM640 A and a DRZ400. and like someone said before every bike is better at one thing or the other. I love both my bikes, but the 640 can be a tough bike to handle in hairy off road riding and the drz400 is under powered for riding the road in my opinion. I hear the the Husky 510 and 610's are the best of both worlds..dirt and road.
maybe check those out...
good luck

805gregg

Adventurer
advrider.com is the place to go for the widest exposure.

VStrom is often thought of as a top choice for 80% road/20% dirt.

The KLR got a completely new design last year (or the year before) after about 20 years of little change (or did it just seem that way?). Both versions are well thought of - the older one for durability and simplicity and the newer one for modern improvements.

Klr got new plastic, same frame, same engine with less ground clearence and more weight. Older models are better.

schiessco

When I recently took the MSF course, bikes were provided by the school.

There is definitely debate about best years for the KLR, but I think you're basically OK with whatever year you buy (maybe stay away from early 08s, as there were some teething problems). Pre-08s are lighter, less bulky and less expensive. 08+ has dual caliper brakes front and back, a larger fork, bigger tank, new plastic and increased weight.

Currently riding an '09 KLR650 and I'm very happy with it. It does well on the street, and I can almost keep up with my buddies CFR450 in the desert. I have more power / he's got less weight and better handling.

Hope this helps.

Pete

AAXD

Well I ended up finding a bike. I talked to my buddy who has a 98 F650ST and decided it was the bike for me. I found one on ebay which didn't make the reserve, I made an offer and the shippers are picking it up next week. It is all built up for adventure riding, fully kitted out and very well maintained. A buddy who is a MSF instructor offered to give me lessons so I can take the written test for the license. I'm pretty psyched, may even sell a Land Rover now that I have too many adventure vehicles.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Well I ended up finding a bike. I talked to my buddy who has a 98 F650ST and decided it was the bike for me. I found one on ebay which didn't make the reserve, I made an offer and the shippers are picking it up next week. It is all built up for adventure riding, fully kitted out and very well maintained. A buddy who is a MSF instructor offered to give me lessons so I can take the written test for the license. I'm pretty psyched, may even sell a Land Rover now that I have too many adventure vehicles.

Blasphemy, you can never have too many Adventure Vehicles.

(Says a guy with 5- 4wheel drive trucks and 6 bikes, three of them Dual Sport Bikes.)

A kitted out F650 will make your ramping up process a whole lot faster.
Plus it will get you to work like a pro.

Post up some pictures once you get it.

I ride a very tricked out KLR as my main transportation and am currently outfitting a 95 E900 Ducati Elefant for the same task and adding a pillion in the mix. Not sure how much Adventuring I'll be doing on the Elefant, but you never know. We have a trip in the planning stages to your neck of the woods either this Summer or next. Costa Rica is also calling my name.:sombrero:

I agree, go to ADVRider.com for the latest. But be forewarned, there are some (cough) personalities :Wow1: on that site. Not everybody, but enough to bother some folks who don't have tough skin.

Are you a member of the Pirate 4X4 web site?
They have a big Landy Forum. And lots of good off road knowledge!

Curtis in Texas

AAXD

I am a member on just about every LR forum there is. I don't post in many of them just because I'd be spending all my time posting instead of actually using my trucks.
Here are some teaser pics of my new bike. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it looks and sounds pretty well done from the photo's and the description I got from the seller, who coincidentally is a Land Rover guy as well. I love the finish on it. The whole bike is Line-x'd
3238875295_34f94b7f97.jpg

3239714072_d1b156ebde.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles