Moto for between shops

SafariPacific

Adventurer
In preparation for my around the world trip, I moved my tech business back into downtown Phoenix (Central and Osborn) where my servers are located. Then this weekend I finished up the remaining move of the shop to Apache Junction (Ironwood and Guadalupe). You may see the problem already. The Explorer gets 15 mpg and its 40 miles one way.

I'm looking to get a moto for daily transportation between my two offices. However, if I get the itch to drive to Four Peaks, I'd like something that could handle that as well. I've only had one dirt bike in the past, so I'm at a complete loss as where to start. Something affordable would be nice as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clutch

<---Pass
What is your budget?

You can pick up a XR 650 for fairly cheap, easy to find, might suffer a bit on the highway though.

If I was using a bike for commuting only, I would get a full on street bike....like a Suzuki SV 650/1000 or a Honda Hornet 650/919 (or any other manufacture that has a model like those)....they are nimble, decent on gas, a hoot to ride. Makes a commute a bit fun.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Goodtimes just picked up an older Suzuki street bike to fix up...I think for cheap, cheap, cheap!

Anyways, look for an older Honda or other import. They're easy to fix and tons of 'em are around for under $500.00.

-H-

jkam

nomadic man
I would look at the Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
b9f6a23c-dc8c-47f9-b201-a918e67e755c.jpg

I have one and it is a great all around bike for commuting and exploring the back country. 70 mpg, street legal, 6 speed gear box to name a few nice features.

They have just started selling new ones again after about 5 years of it not being available in the US. New I think they get about $4500 for one, mine is a 2000 model and I got it for $2000 last year in Phoenix, they are the same, haven't changed a thing.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=371

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Goodtimes just picked up an older Suzuki street bike to fix up...I think for cheap, cheap, cheap!

Anyways, look for an older Honda or other import. They're easy to fix and tons of 'em are around for under $500.00.

-H-

Actually, it is a Honda (CM400T).

$250.

I'll be done with it for ~ $1000 (including purchase price). That will include everything to make it a respectable bike (complete brake rebuild, chain, tires, seat, paint, carb rebuild, etc). It won't be a show winner, but it won't look to bad either.

:bike_rider:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses guys. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm trying to be cheap on this one. Something under $1000 since I'll have to buy all new riding gear as well.

My brother has a Kawasaki KLR650 that's fairly nice. I think the KLR is a bit heavy to handle for a 5' 8", 160 lbs guy like me. A midsized bike would probably be best. Any suggestions on what size of bike I should get?

I like the looks of the Super Sherpa. I'll search around to see if I can't find one for sale.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the looks of the Super Sherpa. I'll search around to see if I can't find one for sale.

If you like that Yamaha's version is the XT250, and Honda's is the CRF230L

Might be able to pick up a street legal XR400 too, they are fairly mellow. http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1008056845.html

As for size, anything under 650cc, kinda depends on the model.

If want something super basic and cheap, Honda NightHawk. They are 750cc and under. Other brands make models similar...sorry I am a little rusty on standard model names. Don't know if that will work for you, though.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/989641559.html

http://powersports.honda.com/street/standard.aspx

Last edited:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Just got an offer for a Honda CR250 that isn't street legal. Bike is in good shape and a decent price. Is it worth the time and money to make it street legal?

Edit: Does have headlight and taillight.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
Just got an offer for a Honda CR250 that isn't street legal. Bike is in good shape and a decent price. Is it worth the time and money to make it street legal?

Edit: Does have headlight and taillight.

I believe the CR250 is a 2 stroke motocross bike. If so, not a good choice to make street legal.
What year, you sure about the model#?

Howard70

Adventurer
Safari:

I'm not sure about the ease of plating a non OEM street legal bike in Arizona, but it can be a significant hassle and is becoming increasingly difficult in many areas. I would recommend sticking with a bike that has valid registration when you buy it, or at least has been registered within the last couple of years.

All the bikes that have been mentioned are great. If you anticipate any freeway time, I would not go below a 400cc bike.

Howard Snell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior