Who needs a 4WD when...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
a mid 80's Toyota Corrolla with 330 000 Km's on the clock will do?

This past weekend was an extended weekend thanks to Australia Day. Not one to be stuck at home because we had no wheels, Martha suggested we hire a car. Hmmm, sounds like a great idea. She found this place called Rent A Bomb and reserved a car. This price was great but that should have been our first clue. On Friday I made my way to the Rent A Bomb location to pick up our beauty. I had a good look over it: it smelled funny, the hood and roof looked like the surface of a golf ball due to hail damage, it was missing a hub cap, it had cool red racing seat covers, a bad re-spray and the starter would stick on a bit when you fired it up. I said, we'll take it!

I went inside, signed the paperwork and they gave the keys. The fun had only just begun...:smiley_drive:

With keys in hand, map book out I fired it up and the engine roared to life or was that purr to life? Did I mention that this was only the second time I'd driven a RHD yet? Ok, first gear, ease the clutch out and we are off... Hmm this thing is really hard to steer. Oh, no power steering would do that. I navigate slowly arround the parking lot and just before getting on the main road I stop to find the A/C button because it's 30 degrees C and getting hot inside the Corolla. Wait a minute, where's that button? Hey, this thing does not have A/C either? Hmm... it's now 5:05 pm and they close at 5:00 pm. I guess it's time to roll down the windows. Off I go heading for the Friday afternoon gridlock of Brisbane city with the bomb. At this point I'm driving down the road, wind in my face, laughing out loud at the situation but having a blast. Down the road I go occasionally bursting out in laughter and listening to some good tunes on the radio. This is what life is all about, the adventure...

Unfortunately the only picture I have is this one. I was too busy laughing at the situation to think about taking a proper picutre. :sombrero: Here is the bomb as it became affectionally known on this trip...
IMG_2068.jpg

It looked almost like this, but looking way worse for wear...
Corolla.jpg

Photo from www.carsales.com.au

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
We spent the morning packing up food, tents, sunscreen, beer, Australian flags and hats. On the way out of town we picked up Martha's friends Judy. We took our time heading South on the motorway mainly because the bomb had a nasty vibration over 100 Km/h but we were in no hurry... On the way we decided to stop in Burleigh Heads along the Gold Coast for somthing to eat at the beach and a bit of surf, sun and sand time. Nice but busy place.

We had been to the beaches a few times since our arrival in Australia but had not explored the interior yet. We set our sights on Springbrook National Park in Southern Queensland right on the border of New South Wales for the weekend. As an added bonus, the weather was cooler in that area, a nice 25 degrees C.

IMG_2034.jpg

We set up camp, had something to eat and drink, told tall tales and relaxed. Life is good and the bomb got us to our destination.

Last edited:

Willman

Put an ExPo and a Sierra Expeditions sticker on that pimp ride.....

I have heard customers getting 30 extra HP!......For more boost.....add an OJ sticker!

:elkgrin:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
The next morning brough some clouds, perfect hiking weather. After some breakie and coffee we off for the day. We decided to go to the Purlingbrook Area beacause of all the recent rain, many of the tracks were closed due to slides, high water, fallen trees and deteriorated track conditions. A quick stop at the information centre confirmed that the Twin Falls Circuit was open, an easy 4 Km return loop that would take us through rock clefts, palm trees and waterfalls.

When we reached the first lookout, it was nothing but fog...
IMG_2042.jpg

Were we really in Australia?

A bit later on we did get a glimpse of why lie ahead.
IMG_2044.jpg

Purling Brook Falls

Into the clefts.
IMG_2046.jpg

Many folks warned us about the leaches out on the tracks, but we were fortunate enough to not be bothered. I did spot one on the track but he was minding his own business as did I.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Along the way we saw some cool critters. We were not exactly sure what most of them were so we kept our distance and took some pictures.

What could be hiding in here?
IMG_2056.jpg

A closer look...
IMG_2059.jpg

I was not messing with this guy. He was on the side of the track when Judy and Martha walked right by him. When I stopped for a closer look, he put both claws up in a menacing way flipped his tail to back up. He was high tailing it back to his hideout... yes mind the pun. He was about 6" to 8" long and deep blue and white in color. Stood out amongst all the brown and green vegetation. I found this Youtube video showing what he looks like.

Tanninaba Falls, beautiful spot.
IMG_2053.jpg

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
More critters...

This guy was hanging out for a few poses. Not sure what he is, but looks like he's been in a battle from the tip of his tail.

IMG_2062.jpg

Shortly after this picture, the down pour began. It was a quiet but peaceful hike for the remainder of the loop. We looked like we had jumped into a pool by the time we got back to the bomb, we were soaking wet. Everyone was smiling though so it could be worse. I was fearing that the bomb would not start because it would have added to the situation but no a chance it fired right up and made an awful sound as the starter gear stuck on again. :elkgrin:

We got back to camp and changed into some dry clothes. Judy had two leaches that had found their way into her boots. No drama, a little salt to remove then some Detol to prevent infection. We spent most of the afternoon reading inside the tents or the cooking shelters trying to stay dry. We were waiting things out to see if the weather cleared up. Late in the afternoon we had to pack it in and head home. Too wet for another night. We stayed at Judy's place for some food, a glass of wine and lots more chin waggin! Camping was over but not our adventures with the bomb!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Great to see you are doing well Pierre! Sure is a different country then here. But then again, they don't have beavers and elk :elkgrin:

Say hi to Martha.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Great to see you are doing well Pierre! Sure is a different country then here. But then again, they don't have beavers and elk :elkgrin:

Say hi to Martha.

Things are falling into place. I've got lots of advice for folks thinking of uprooting and moving to a new country. I'll say hi for you.
Cheers,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Who need a 4WD when...

It was Monday morning, the clouds has dissapeared and we got the itch to hit the road in the bomb again. What do you do when you get an itch, well you scratch it of course.

Over some breakfast and coffee :coffee:, we looked over the map and decided to do a Northern loop because we'd never been in that general direction. Our tavels would take us from Brisbane through Samsonvale alon the Western edge of Lake Samsonvale, through Dayboro, to Mount Mee with a little jaunt to Mount Mee State Forest, to D'Aguilar, to Beerwah, throuh the Glass House Mountains, through Caboulture and finally back home.

To add to the excitement, Martha decided to have a go a driving on the other side of the road for the first time. I picked up the map books, we packed a lunch and we were off. A few minutes were spent adjusting seating position, mirrors, getting the feel for shifting the manual tranny with your left hand, some tips about where you look when turning, blind spots, etc... Your initial instincts make you look and do things as you would back in North America, the most common is to put the windshield wipers on instead of your turn signal. They say it takes a human 21 times to form a habit, it make take a bit longer when you rely on your natural instinct developped in North America. :smiley_drive: (I just noticed that this smilie is driving a RHD!).

After putting the windshield wipers instead of signalling, we got the hang of it and were making good time.

We saw many of these signs along the way:
IMG_2079.jpg

What makes a road trip is the little suprises along the way and if you don't pay attention, they may slip right by you. This one nearly did, so we had to turn arround.

Have you ever seen an ananas comosus field? More commonly known as a pineapple field.
IMG_2070.jpg

But the best part and what initially caught our eye was the honesty stand by the road in the corner of the field.
IMG_2071.jpg

I can guarantee that you can't get any fresher than this and they had to be the best pineapples I've ever had. Life is good. :sombrero:

haven

Expedition Leader
I think this guy is a Blue Tongued Lizard, a type of skink that's common in eastern Australia. Most skinks are slender with long tails, but this type has a thick body and tail, with relatively stubby limbs.

IMG_2062.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
At this point, we were nearing Mount Mee and we decided to go have a look through Mount Mee State Forest. We drove to the park, had a look at the day use are full of Australian families enjoying the finer things in life as they typically do during a holiday. Family, food and beverages. At the part entrance we stoped at the information bulletin and noticed that many of the roads were gravel and 4WD access only. There were a few cars around but we did not want to push our luck due to the lack of a proper recovery kit in the Bomb! There were lots of folks that would have helped us out I'm sure but the other nagging issue is that most car rental companies and insurance will not provide coverage on gravel or non gazetted (mapped) roads. We did see enough to make us want to return and that was all we needed.

On the road again but our bodies reminded us that it was time to eat. What better place to stop than overlooking the scenic Glass House Mountains.

Martha taking in the view.
IMG_2072.jpg

What’s in a name? James Cook named these mountains The Glass House Mountains in 1770 because they reminded him of the huge glass furnaces (glasshouses) back in his native Yorkshire. I prefer the Aboriginal story myself…

The aboriginal people of Australia have beautiful Dream Time Stories. These stories are traditionally told by the eldest member of the community. Dream Time Stories are very important in the aboriginal culture because they are used to describe not only their spiritual beliefs but the history of a place as well. They are unique, enchanting and worth taking the time to hear or read.

Source: The Official Glasshouse Mountains Tourism Website but copied here for your reading pleasure. This is one version of the Glass House Mountains Dream Time Story. As a lead in, Tibrogargan, Beerwah, Coonowrin, Beerburrum, Tunbubudla, Ngungun, Tibberoowuccum, Miketebumulgrai, and Saddleback are the names of the various mountains.

It is said that Tibrogargan, the father, and Beerwah, the mother, had many children. Coonowrin the eldest, Beerburrum, the Tunbubudla twins, the Coochin twins, Ngungun, Tibberoowuccum, Miketebumulgrai, and Saddleback. There was Round who was fat and small and Wildhorse who was always paddling in the sea.

One day, Tibrogargan was gazing out to sea and noticed a great rising of the waters. Hurrying off to gather his younger children, in order to flee to the safety of the mountains in the west, he called out to Coonowrin to help his mother Beerwah, who was again with child.

Looking back to see how Coonowrin was assisting Beerwah, Tibrogargan was greatly angered to see him running off alone. He pursued Coonowrin and, raising his club, struck the latter such a mighty blow that it dislodged Coonowrin’s neck, and he has never been able to straighten it since.

When the floods had subsided and the family returned to the plains, the other children teased Coonowrin about his crooked neck. Feeling ashamed, Coonowrin went over to Tibrogargan and asked for his forgiveness, but filled with shame at his son’s cowardice, Tibrogargan could do nothing but weep copious tears, which, trickling along the ground, formed a stream that flowed into the sea. Then Coonowrin went to his brothers and sisters, but they also wept at the shame of their brother’s cowardice. The lamentations of Coonowrin’s parents and of his brothers and sisters at his disgrace explain the presence of the numerous small streams of the area.

Tibrogargan then called to Coonowrin, asking him why he had deserted his mother. Coonowrin replied that as Beerwah was the biggest of them all she should be able to take care of herself. He did not know that she was again pregnant, which was the reason for her great size. Then Tibrogargan turned his back on his son and vowed that he would never look at him again.

Even today Tibrogargan gazes far out to sea and never looks around at Coonowrin, who hangs his head and cries, his tears running off to the sea. His mother Beerwah is still heavy with child, as it takes a long, long time to give birth to a mountain.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
I think this guy is a Blue Tongued Lizard, a type of skink that's common in eastern Australia. Most skinks are slender with long tails, but this type has a thick body and tail, with relatively stubby limbs.

I was thinking that as well. We also have this guy visit on occasion.

IMG_2032.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke