Volvo TGB 111/303 Camper...WOW

Christian

Adventurer
Update

Well I just found this thread again and want to tell you all how it is evolving.
First of all I have to say that progress is a bit slower that wished for, we bought an old house, got married and bought a HJ45 as a daily driver, so time on the Volvo has not been the first priority.

But i got the 1KZ-T in, gearbox and all and the Volvo runs!!!

I got hold of a set of Michelin 11/R16 XZL's for it, and the gearing is as perfect as I had calculated it to be, it runs great!

I have been building a new wiring harness, and damn, that takes some time, but is 85% done, new VDO gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, tach, speedo, turbo pressure, voltmeter and all..).

Added an electrical servo to the original steering box, made a new parking brake to fit the rear of the transfer and drove it 20Kmsto the new home, everything worked great!!!

Just to let you know... :)

How are you coming along Bas?

Wuff_Wider

I used to think that only a Unimog would do for Overlanding but then I found these wonderful vehicles. Whilst the 6x6 has the room, I can't help but think that I could manage with the 4x4..........how do these vehicles compare with the Pinzgaures?

Christian

Adventurer
Never having owned a pinz my take on it is of course not the most well informed.

But IMO the Volvo is a much simpler construction and take on the same problem, straight axles and leaf springs, conventional engine setup, simple electrics etc. makes it a simple rugged diy vehicle, which can be maintained, operated and upgraded by anyone who have owned a Landcruiser, Jeep or alike.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
well

I own a volvo camper but have only ridden in a pinz. The volvo seems more like a car than the pinz. It handles well, it rides smooth, it it fairly agile. The pinz is like a military truck. Its all metal, its more rattly, its noisy. It sounds like a volkswagen. I think it is less service friendly with the hydraulic lockers, independent suspension etc. I like the volvo but would like more time with a pinz. They seem fairly equal in capability (similar gear ratio for crawling) but the pinz has a five speed gearbox. Did not get to see it on the highway. volvo turns about 3k at 55.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior