Volvo TGB 111/303 Camper...WOW

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ok, this thing is my type of Sportsmobile. Full military Volvo TGB with custom Magnolia modified to the top to make a POP up Camper. Very impressive.

I don't have any pictures, but you can see it in the April 2009 Petersen's 4Wheel & Offroad magazine.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Yep, that is the vehicle. Now cut out the roof and put the top portion of a magnolia tent on it. Gut the interior and install kitchen and camper stuff. Finish it by painting the whole thing Tan. Then you would have one shown in Petersen's. Maybe I will just scan the pages.

M.Bas

Adventurer
I recently bought a C304/TGB1314 which is the 6x6 version with ambulance body :wings:
Still waiting on delivery...

Hopefully it will be here within a couple of weeks.

But a tan C303 with a pop-top, I've seen a whole lot of C303 picture's but can't remember ever seeing that one, I would like to see that pics.
I do know of a Dutch tan painted C303 with a RTT which was recently for sale.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah Petersens is really getting more into Expo type stuff, definatly nice to see.

I saw that 303 and I've seen it before. It sure is neat, although I'd rather have one in a similar configuration to the "phoenix" that Dakarti Ed had. I don't see a use ofr a kitchen in a rig that small, I can cook nearly everything on the barbi...

They've also got a built from Scratch CJ8/Scrambler that is destined to be one fo teh editors Expo rigs. Pretty neat stuff going on at that mag. Now they just need to get with the program and stop putting so many Jeeps on their pages ;)

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OOOh the LWB 6x6 looks like an awesome OR motorhome. Sort of a 60's/70's Winnebago with Portal Axles and lockers... :drool:

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
http://www.kmonkey.com/blog/trog/

A firebrigade C306 being converted to camper.
THat is really a neat read, thanks for posting.

SOmething I ALWAYS wonder about these trucks is how hard would it be to swap another motor in to one of these or a Pinz??? I supose the pinz would be harder because of the drivetrain adn troube finding a tranny or bell housing that would fit the existing tranny. But it seems to me these could REALLY use a dosage of Diesel torque and some horsepower. 30mph top speed up a grade and lower if loaded is not really acceptable to me. At that point you're pulling over and running flashers on all the time. kind of hard to get anywhere, let alone getting stuck behind one eh.

Cheers

Dave

M.Bas

Adventurer
There is a bolt on kit available for a Mercedes OM603 diesel engine.
Costs about 600 dollars.

The thing that limits the engine you can drop in are the tranny and portal axles.
To much torque and they will fail.
Max Nm for the tranny is 285Nm if I remember correctly.

edit: Tranny datasheet says 181 ft.lbs. so that about 250Nm

edit2: Don't forget the Volvo has more power than the Pinz: 115~125 vs. 90 and 220Nm vs. 180Nm.

My personal opinion is that the standard B30A engine is just fine.
I'll look up some nice movies for you guys :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
There is a bolt on kit available for a Mercedes OM603 diesel engine.
Costs about 600 dollars.

The thing that limits the engine you can drop in are the tranny and portal axles.
To much torque and they will fail.
Max Nm for the tranny is 285Nm if I remember correctly.

edit: Tranny datasheet says 181 ft.lbs. so that about 250Nm

edit2: Don't forget the Volvo has more power than the Pinz: 115~125 vs. 90 and 220Nm vs. 180Nm.

My personal opinion is that the standard B30A engine is just fine.
I'll look up some nice movies for you guys :smiley_drive:
WOW, really??? I was under the impresion that the Volvo portals could handle more than that... That would defiantly make it limited indeed. I wonder if "Tired Iron" did anything to his axles before he swung them under his 80 series (now that is an awesome rig eh)

Cheers

Dave

gjackson

FRGS
:drool:

attachment.php

M.Bas

Adventurer
WOW, really??? I was under the impresion that the Volvo portals could handle more than that... That would defiantly make it limited indeed. I wonder if "Tired Iron" did anything to his axles before he swung them under his 80 series (now that is an awesome rig eh)

Cheers

Dave
I'm nut sure how much the portals can handle.

The ZF gearbox appears to be also used in Maserati's with 200+ HP, but I don't know how much Nm/ft.lbs. those cars have.

The drivetrain is pretty much bulletproof if you keep everything standard, never heard of someone breaking driveshafts or something else. Some are running 38.5x14.50 Maxxis Creepy Crawler tires with no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior