'91 Loyale Hmmm....

Applejack

Explorer
So last week we (my wife and I) sold our '97 Wrangler. She loved it so, but we thought that it would be easier to sell it now while gas prices are down, rather than later when they go back up, and they *will* go back up.
It had some nice mods, but we got a good price for it.
KT(my wife) and I have always been suby fans and while I was pushing for a forester, KT wanted an older one. Well since she is the one who will be driving it, she get's to pick. So, she has come home with a '91 Loyale wagon.
Not what I would have chosen, but we'll work with it.

4wd
new radiator
new tires
[/B]

The front bumper is pushed back a little, the passenger side fender is a little wrinkled, and the passenger side headlight is slightly askew.(P.O. rear ended someone) Interior is fine with the exception of a cigarette burn on the drivers seat, and it has some fugly chrome wheel covers.
Bought some white spoke wagon wheels to swap on, but had them powder coated a charcoal gray.
Def. a WIP I'll take a pic later today when I get the new wheels on.
We will be looking for input for future mods, so start letting us have it.

wentz912

Observer
I suggest you start visiting the Ultimat Subaru Message Board. The place is a plethora of information. It's helped me a lot since I've owned my 86.

Rot Box

Explorer
Scooby's are fun! I think she will really enjoy that car. There are a few things to watch out for with that year vehicle though...

Don't EVER overheat it! Check that your radiator is in good shape and that your clutch fan works. Most will have cracked heads already but overheating can warp heads and spit head gaskets :wings: . These engines are known for that. Good idea to replace the head gaskets anyway if it has higher mileage.

Change the timing belts even if they were done recently they have a high wear rate compared to most other vehicles. They are very easy to replace though, and if one does give you don't have to worry about engine damage they are not a zero tollerance engine.

Change the mickey mouse shaped o-ring in the oil pump pronto (when doing the timing belts/water pump) or you could end up with the TOD (Tick Of Death :( ) A slight tick tick in the heads is normal, but a loud clatter is a sure sign.

And lastly tell me you got a manual 5 speed!?!

The EA82 engines are good, but don't live up to the older EA81's ones reputation for long life. That being said they are nearly bombproof if they get a little attention :elkgrin:

Applejack

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. We are taking the little bugger in this week to have the timing belts done. I make sure that the O-ring get replaced too. It is the 5 speed. I bought a '92 Loyale a couple of years ago for a commuter car that had an auto. Mush! This will be our 4th superpoo.
'81 GL HB 4wd
'86 Wagon 4wd
'92 Loyale Sedan 4wd
and now the '91 wagon.

Honestly though, last night we were talking and think this car needs too much work to be her commuter car. Just little things here and there, like the synchros, shocks and struts, and the rear brakes. I just did the Cap and rotor, wires, plugs and front brakes. Now the timing belts. I'll have to mess with some bodywork to get that one headlight to point straight ahead. We'll probably keep it but just get something else for her as a DD.
I would like to get everything in order on it, and keep it to be a "Cold War Wagon" When it all goes to pot (the economy etc.), this will be our car. It's the only one we have that's paid for:).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz