Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever built there own penthouse top???

Default Has anyone ever built there own penthouse top???

I am building my own penthouse top a little like a sportsmobile and wondering if anyone has ever seen or built there own version. Mine uses a raised fiberglass roof out of a junkyard I scored for 50 bucks. I built my own lifting hardware and I am thinking of sliding the bed out of the back of the van so when it is up it will look like a sportsmobile with a pop up camper trailer bed overhanging the back doors. I have been posting pictures on photobucket if anyone has some suggestions let me hear them, the project sort of moves slow but I have my old junk van to work it all out on then when it is done I will switch it to my Quigley psd.
    Pictures link

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...van%20project/

Thanks for the input
    Derek

Looks awesome, that question has been asked many many times. I think your little project is gonna turn out awesome!
    Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    05 E350 6.8 V7
    02 E350 5.4 V8
    90 Taurus SHO
    17 Focus RS
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

congrats & awesome. I have the roof cap cut off my 55 currently and for even a couple years I've been pondering building something like this as well. I figured the hardest part would be the hinges and figuring out how all that would work. I even asked for some photos from Westies once upon a time to compare (or pilfer) off one of those. Good stuff and I really like your solution!

Yes I have. However, I took a simpler route...

I removed the top of a VW camper ( It was a US modified brand called: Country Home Camper), then tig welded an aluminum tubing frame and attached the fabric & lifting mechanism to it. I then mounted the "penthouse" onto to my rollbar/kayak rack. I wired the unit up with backup lights (can be folded down for camping lights), stereo speakers, and bedroom reading light. I have quick disconnect connectors for the wires at the end of an umbilical so the "penthouse" can be unplugged and unbolted from the Jeep then lifted into the rafters of my shop.

Here is the thread for my Jeep...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...light=mayahual

The .1%

Default Cool rig

I like your jeep I use a top bunk on my jeep and broncos and the exploder I also used it on my old van for a while it works out really nice because they mount to Yakima racks and you can switch vehicles when ever you want. Here is a pic of it on the van and one on the explorer.
    Andre I used to be on 4btswaps my original plan was to use a 4bt in my van but I have since bought a psd quigly van so it looks like the 4bt will be going into one of my boxstyle broncos.
    thanks for the input everyone
    Derek

van

exploder

Default I finally have the sides starting to come together.

Here are some pics of the slide out bed and the material is starting to come together.

Last edited by dsw4x4; 03-11-2009 at 04:20 AM.

thats a pretty cool setup! I was looking at my Coleman colorado the other day and thought hey that would look pretty cool on top of a van. or basically what you have shown.
    1987 Toyota landcruiser HJ61(sold)
    1986 suzuki samurai LWB (SOLD)
    2012 dodge ram 1500 4x4 not very overlandish

Very nice. Like many on here, I have pondered this very question. Congrats for moving beyond the planning stage and developing a (giant) poptop! I got as far as buying a Westie roof, but couldn't bring myself to cut the roof on my Suburban. Now, with a huge sunroof available to climb through, I think it's time to revisit this for my Montero. Very cool! Keep the pics coming...
    DavidG
    2006 Prius
    2006 DL650
    http://www.georgiaoverland.com/

dsw - very cool!

Looking forward to following your build.

How does your slide-out work - what holds it up?

Cheers,
    Mark

Porsche Cayenne S "TropiCayenne"
    Honda Ridgeline - go ahead and laugh
    Ducati Elefant

That looks pretty cool! What type of material did you make the tent out of? Did you sow it yourself, or someone local?

Don

-

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast