Has anyone ever built there own penthouse top???

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I looked at the pics and the only word that came to mind was "WOW"! that van looks GOOD! i didnt get what was so special until the last set of pics. It just looks like a normal van with a fiberglass top. Awesome van.

dzzz

Just a reminder from your mom. Cut the roof off a van and roll it over, everyone in the back dies.

Anyway, I really like how these mods look. I would love to popup a section of the camper I'm designing. But I'm not sure I can make it water tight. Maybe I'll do a popout wall.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Tell that to sportsmobile and westfailia! This van has 4 times the steel reinforcing the roof the factory ford van had. I tossed around the idea of a roll bar on the inside however when I was finally knee deep in the project it is clear the stoutness of the van structure over stock. I was also concerned about twisting up the body to. Beside that it is just my girlfriend myself, two mutts and a couple of dirt bikes, so back seat safety is not a huge issue for me at this time (although I do love my KTM's).

02tahoemd I would love to get some good outdoor pics but visibility here has been about 50 ft and snow/rain all weekend, beside that the details are eating up all of my time this will be the third weekend in a row but hopefully this weekend I will get it out side and take some real pictures of it.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Finally I got the head liner and lights in!!

Looking backwards
IMGP3180.jpg

Looking forwards
IMGP3179.jpg

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Still not done but I finally got it outside to take some pictures

top down

IMG_2329.jpg

going up

IMG_2334.jpg

up with bed in
IMG_2335.jpg

up with bed out
IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

rear view
IMG_2345.jpg

Looking up and in from rear door
IMG_2348.jpg

front looking to back
IMG_2349.jpg

Laying in bed looking forward
IMG_2352.jpg

top up bed slide in with rear hatch closed
IMG_2356.jpg

So I have some trimming and wiring and other misc things but it is finally starting to look like somthing.
Derek

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Is the bed tent watertight? How does water keep from pooling on the tent roof? Looks totally amazing! Without worrying about space for a bed you have got TONS of room in the van shell for a very spacious and functional layout. Kudos!

Spence

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Not to sure how water tight it is as of yet? It only came out of the garage for the afternoon to take some pictures. It is still not complete yet (as in ready to use) it will never be complete!! Anyway it should be pretty water tight it has small rain flaps/gutters that run along both sides where the wall meets the roof, and the rear flap door for when the bed is slid in velcros to the roof creating a three foot long rain flap to keep water off of the zippers. In theory it all looks like it should work time will tell though. Another unfinshed part is it will get a support bar that runs front to back down the middle of the roof to help shed snow and water, like most pop up camper trailers get. I was trying to avoid that but it seems like the way to go plus it will give more head room in the bed area.
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!!
Derek

brettf

Adventurer
Wow. This looks amazing.

I have so many questions...don't even know where to start!

Clearly you're lightyears beyond my skills with this stuff, but cutting/measuring - you make it sound so easy. How difficult was the attachment and removal of the original roof for the high top?

How is the roof raised? Do you use any extra supports once it is up?

Nice work!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Brettf,
Removing the old roof was not hard physically (Maybe a little on the nerves) first I cut a hole a lot smaller than the finished size using electric shears then I could stand up and see what I was doing, I made the final cut using a grinder and a cut off wheel it was the most practical thing i could find for the job.
The roof is raised using two 12 volt actuators with 30 inches of travel you just flip the switch and up it goes. There are no extra supports it is really stout I can walk on the roof when it is in the up position it would not even worry me to have a couple of people on the roof with it in the up position. Pulling the fiberglass top off at the junk yard is a bit of a pain but nothing two car jacks couldn't take care of.
Derek

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Man I would love to see that in person.. Drake isn't too far from Colorado Springs, i am up there every 3 weeks.. Would you mind showing it off some time?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Funrover
I would not mind that at all! Not only that I would love to find some people to wheel with around here. My trail rigs hardly ever get used since I moved out here I do not know anyone to wheel with. Drop me a line next time your up this way.
Derek

DavidG

Adventurer
Brettf,
Removing the old roof was not hard physically (Maybe a little on the nerves) first I cut a hole a lot smaller than the finished size using electric shears then I could stand up and see what I was doing, I made the final cut using a grinder and a cut off wheel it was the most practical thing i could find for the job.
The roof is raised using two 12 volt actuators with 30 inches of travel you just flip the switch and up it goes. There are no extra supports it is really stout I can walk on the roof when it is in the up position it would not even worry me to have a couple of people on the roof with it in the up position. Pulling the fiberglass top off at the junk yard is a bit of a pain but nothing two car jacks couldn't take care of.
Derek

It looks amazing, very cool. I can't believe you can walk on the roof when it is up, that is incredible!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
With all due respect, you have way to much vision, talent, and skill for one man.

I've never before seen a pop top with the ability to become a 2 bedroom; you could easily put another bunk over the drivers seat and what would be the second row of seating, and still have plenty of open room toward the rear of the van, should the need ever arise (as if you haven't had that thought yourself already).

Very impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94