Has anyone ever built there own penthouse top???

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Thanks T.low!
I did think about making a slide out bed in the front and if I ever have kids that is exactly what I would do. In the mean time there is plenty of room for a child to sleep on the shelf (existing roof) over the two front seats it is about 2 1/2 ft deep and 4 ft wide. With a net to keep them from falling out a kid could probably get 8 or so years out of that. My main reason for not doing the front slide out was I did not know the rear was going to work and every time I had a IDEA it added colossal hours on to my build time. The plan is to use it this year so I had to put some stuff on hold.
Derek

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Funrover
I would not mind that at all! Not only that I would love to find some people to wheel with around here. My trail rigs hardly ever get used since I moved out here I do not know anyone to wheel with. Drop me a line next time your up this way.
Derek

PM sent and I will find a time to check it out!

Reed

This build is truly inspiring! I have an 84 Ford e-150 that I am going to be stripping and converting into a camper van and I want to do EXACTLY what you did, except add the front bed.

Any chance you would be willing to post some details about the specifics of the construction of the lifting mechanism and the slide out bed? Materials used, techniques, etc...?

Thanks!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow, This is a thread pulled out from a while back, but I am not complaining. Glad I got to see it. Very creative ideas you have there. Plus your top made me miss Ft. Collins (graduated from CSU)

Very cool stuff you have going on there. How does it do now that you have used it a few times?

Also, is the bed inflatable, or is it a regular mattress?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Hi Reed and ford perfect,
Thanks for the comments I figured this topic was dead. We just returned this afternoon from a four day trip to wyoming and leave again next thursday for our next trip to lake powell and crested butte for 12 days. So far it rocks the few little things that we want to change have been very minor and extremely nit picky. The top raises and lowers with ease my girl friend can set the whole thing up by herself in a probably less than a minute. This winter we will take the material off and sew a cordura material (or something like it). We are going to use that to strenthen the bottom and top 8 inches all the way around the top above and below the windows. The reason for doing this is because the lower edge of the material rubs the lifting hardware when it is down and this causes the meterial to wear through. I planned on doing during the build but I ran out of time so I skipped that step.. I also had to add a bar to keep the slide out bed roof from sagging. It was pooling up water on the roof in the rain. I bent up a piece of conduit the same way popup campers do it and that fixed that problem plus it gave us more head room in the bed. The bed is 6 inch thick orthepedic foam mattress with water bed type sheets with the bottom sewn together. If you have more question ask away I am happy to answer. if you want to se more pictures of the build you can check them out in my photo bucket album here
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/dsw4x4/van project/
You have to thumb through the pages to see the stages of the build.
Derek

Clark

Observer
Those are awesome pictures - they were exactly what I was looking for! I've got a couple questions for you
1) What holds the roof down when your driving? It must have something to snug it up or I'd think you would get a lot of wind noise.
2) What type of steel did you use for the bottom track that the triangle brackets slide in? How did you attach it to the roof?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
The top has two sets of scissors and on set of 12 volt 400 lb actuators the actuators lifts and lowers so it clamps the top closed. For a while we just used that to keep it clamped but I noticed after a few hours on rough roads then on the highway again it would work its way loose and we would get some wind noise. So I added pop up camper clamps on the outside they were cheap off of ebay new they cost about 20 bucks. This fixed that problem and it also keeps the top from sloshing around four wheeling. It sloshed side to side about 1/4 inch each way 1/2 total. Not really noticable but tears up seals and side material if it is caught in between the top and the roof.
As for the track I used unistrut from lowes then machined a foot to slide in the track on the bottom of the foot I mounted ulta high molecular light weight plastic to slide on rather than wheels. That way there are no rattles and nothing needs to be greased so it keeps the interior clean. I then welded that track to structral steel under the van roof and butted the edge of the track to where I cut the van roof and welded it the full length of the van top and bottom. Then that track is sandwiched with the c channel that the bed slides out on and welded again to the structure steel of the van and the track that the top slides on. All and all it is probably sturdier than the way it came from ford.

Derek

Spur

Adventurer
The top has two sets of scissors and on set of 12 volt 400 lb actuators the actuators lifts and lowers so it clamps the top closed. For a while we just used that to keep it clamped but I noticed after a few hours on rough roads then on the highway again it would work its way loose and we would get some wind noise. So I added pop up camper clamps on the outside they were cheap off of ebay new they cost about 20 bucks. This fixed that problem and it also keeps the top from sloshing around four wheeling. It sloshed side to side about 1/4 inch each way 1/2 total. Not really noticable but tears up seals and side material if it is caught in between the top and the roof.
As for the track I used unistrut from lowes then machined a foot to slide in the track on the bottom of the foot I mounted ulta high molecular light weight plastic to slide on rather than wheels. That way there are no rattles and nothing needs to be greased so it keeps the interior clean. I then welded that track to structral steel under the van roof and butted the edge of the track to where I cut the van roof and welded it the full length of the van top and bottom. Then that track is sandwiched with the c channel that the bed slides out on and welded again to the structure steel of the van and the track that the top slides on. All and all it is probably sturdier than the way it came from ford.

Derek

I am so impressed by your van. Really amazing. I'd like to know more about the lifting mechanism, if you don't mind. Are you using this type of actuator?

http://www.e-motionllc.com/3_stroke_400_lbs_force_p/fa-400-l-12-3.htm

I've looked through your photo album and I can't find any good closeups on the track and the actuators. Do you have any more photos? I think I understand how it works, but some pictures would really help. Thanks.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
The actuators I used were more like these
http://www.e-motionllc.com/24_stroke_400_lbs_force_p/fa-400-l-12-24.htm
except I used a 34 inch stroke if I remember right.

I used electrical unistrut for the track

http://www.fondriest.com/images/nexsens_a56.jpg

It is hard to get pictures of most of this stuff because now it is finished and you cannot really see any of the hardware. I am not sure if I posted a link to the full album but you can sort through those pictures and see if that helps.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/dsw4x4/van project/

Also if you want to get in touch by phone drop me a PM and I would be happy to answer any questions you have over the phone.
Derek

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Thanks Adam,
It is funny how this thread keeps resurfacing. I am actually in talks with a couple of companies about building these on a build to order type of deal with the simpliest form being a wetfailia type of top and the fanciest being like my top. They are fun to build and turn a few heads when you have it camped at the right spot. We enjoy the daylights out of it.
Thanks again for the kind words everyone.
Derek

Spur

Adventurer
I dream of this too. A long term idea for my Suburban is a pop-up. It's not going to happen now, but sometime down the line, I think it would be really cool. I've thought of a Dormobile style too.

It's really hard to find the tops new. Finding them used is a hunt I imagine. I found this website that sells them. Not sure about the quality or the price, but it's the only thing I could find.

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR_Inc/Full_Van_Size_Top.html

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
after printing hi-rez photos of your build...:coffeedrink:

I have a question about the lifters and the material..

do you think the lifters could be concealed well if used in a GTRV style topper?

3-diamondtop.jpg

0504-39.JPG

did you just use a local awning/seamstress for the sides?? or are ya fortunate enough to know how to use a sewing machine (THANKS MOM!!) and have one (MOM?? wheres my sewing machine?? chrismas 09??)

part of my problem is a SMB style topper wont let my girl fit in the garage...a GTRV will...so Im tight on clearances (from what I've seen)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles