Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
it doesnt matter what truck you drive, sometimes there just isnt a point to winch off of in front so many people run front & rear winches. Carrying an anchor (like a Pull-Pal) can help in that situation as well - back to the main topic... show us more bed/camper setups!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
There is a winch on the front also. It is an old Hickey Sidewinder winch that fits under the front bumper, which was a dealer installed option back in the day. It isn’t very strong and the cable is very short but it has the cool factor and will work in a pinch. I chose to put the heavier winch on the back to pull other people out. :bike_rider: Actually, the rear winch bumper has been without a winch for several years. I just put a Smitybilt 10k on it a few weeks ago.

2801585157_d5451e6d2b.jpg

Now back to the toppers………:coffeedrink:

t0mills

Adventurer
I need to get some inside pics taken, but here's one that shows the outside.

1-7.jpg

Inside there is LED Track Lighting, a small fan to circulate air, and a custom air matress that fits perfectly around the fenderwells.
It's joined to the back of the cab with a large rubber boot, so that I can slide open the back glass and listen to the stereo when camping.

NorCalBronco

Observer
Here is mine:

passengersidebedws1.jpg

By norcalbronco, shot with DMC-FX7 at 2008-09-11

rangerbednoshellzn8.jpg

bedmockup3cd7.jpg

bedmockup2xj4.jpg

bedhalfopenwn5.jpg

I have 4 plastic bins like the one in the picture that all my camping stuff fits in. They all fit nice and snug underneath the platform when in camping mode. If I need to haul something the middle of the top comes out in two pieces for more room. There is room to stick longs things up to a few inches wide down the sides, along with a lot more room in front of and behind the wheel wells. My dog lives back there mostly, and it has the added benefit of a nice comfortable place for her to chill in without being able to get to my stuff to chew on :)

Last edited:

Dale

Adventurer
Truck Topper

Has anyone ever come across a standard truck topper raised with hydraulics like an Alaskan Camper. I would like to keep it stock looking, :truck: for stealth camping also, so I don't have people bothering me about my rig.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
saw that in a magazine with a tonneau cover but never with an actual shell aside from the Alaskan - but the now defunct Wildernest flips over sideways and those can be had relatively cheap used compared to the Flip Pac units. I'd take either if I could find one reasonable... but I just found a Snug Top with pop-up side windows for $250 that I'm picking up tonight, then I'll just have to build the platform/storage area (have a new in the box table saw just dying to try!)

bucketosudz

Explorer
There was a company out of Idaho Falls, Idaho that was taking ARE Raven Shells and putting Hydraulic lifts in each corner of the bed to raise the shell. It then had a flip out bed to the passenger and driver sides. It was real similiar to the tent trailer idea.

The company was founded by a couple of guys that worked at Idaho National Laboratory during the day and built these in a shop in IF on their days off. I know a guy here in town that has one on a 92-96 series Ford. I will try and see if he will let me takes some pics of it. It is a pretty neat setup, however it takes up most of the area infront and inback of the wheel wells. And he told that he paid almost 5 grand for it. It seemed a bit steep.

trailbuilt

nice... Im thinking of something like norcalbronco.... I have an 8 foot bed, so im thinking 6 foot bed and then my daughter can sleep sideways in the other 2 feet...

Last edited:

theMec

Adventurer
trailbuilt & Rockcrawler, build your platform over the wheel wells. This makes for a 65" wide bed (at least in my dodge). Queen size is 60" wide. My daughter, wife & I sleep lengthwise w/o a problem. My daughter is 6 but we have room for awhile.

trailbuilt

trailbuilt & Rockcrawler, build your platform over the wheel wells. This makes for a 65" wide bed (at least in my dodge). Queen size is 60" wide. My daughter, wife & I sleep lengthwise w/o a problem. My daughter is 6 but we have room for awhile.

let see!!!!!!!

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor

I was planning on making mine flush with the tops of the fenderwells to maximize headroom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne