Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I need to get some inside pics taken, but here's one that shows the outside.

1-7.jpg

Inside there is LED Track Lighting, a small fan to circulate air, and a custom air matress that fits perfectly around the fenderwells.
It's joined to the back of the cab with a large rubber boot, so that I can slide open the back glass and listen to the stereo when camping.

Where did you get he rubber boot for your topper?? I have seen them and really like!

CSG

Explorer
I love this stuff! My first real camping rig was a 1979 Dodge D-50 with a carpet kit and shell. The shell was what you used to be able to get with a couple cabinets, fake wood siding, couple lights, and a vent. I traveled all over the west in that rig sleeping anywhere I felt. I didn't carry much more than my backpack, a chair, guitar, sleeping bag and pad. I'd drop the tailgate and had my camp kitchen, dining table, side table, etc. all in one.

In those days, a cheap cooler and non-perishable food was all I needed. 30 years later I seem to need a lot more stuff (well, wife and kids do). If I could recover my truck as a truck instead of tow vehicle with a tool box and fiver hitch in the bed, I think I'd go back to this way of camping. Until then, I've got a nice little campervan.

Michael

Adventurer
Looking for ideas for setting up my long bed dodge diesel with a standard camper shell. Looking at setting it up to sleep in.

My truck is a 2006 Tacoma, but you might be able to get some ideas for your Dodge.

I've posted some of these photos scattered around in other forums, but here is a recap.

I have a bed platform in my shell with some features that I've found useful. See photos below. I sleep on the platform, using a 3" self-inflating pad from REI and a sleeping bag. The platform contains all my camp and rescue gear in compartments underneath. I also carry some of the bulky gear on the top surface of the platform held in place by a cargo strap (I tried the solid Toyota cargo bars but they were too cumbersome). General layout under the platform: Aux AGM battery with isolation/charging system/fuse panels and storage forward, long-item storage on driver's side (Hi-Lift, awning poles, tarp, etc), 4 storage bins in middle and right (food, gear, etc), and DC/AC power outlets, 800W inverter, and DC voltmeter on passenger side. The rear section flips up for storage of larger items (gas/water/cooler/etc) when needed. More DC outlets forward on passenger side for creature comfort items. The bed is 6' and I'm 5'6", so life is good for comfort...

Fabrication sketches and a materials list are available. There are a couple of minor "lessons learned" if you go this route.

The bed can be returned to stock in about 45 minutes, including removing the battery, the platform, and the shell itself.

Attachments

• Traveling configuration.jpg
    Traveling configuration.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 4,289
  • Long item storage.jpg
    Long item storage.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,470
  • Passenger side w_voltmeter and inverter.jpg
    Passenger side w_voltmeter and inverter.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,256
  • Large items stored for travel.jpg
    Large items stored for travel.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 3,042
  • End platform folded back.jpg
    End platform folded back.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,243
  • Unfinished platform.jpg
    Unfinished platform.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,065
Last edited:

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
This is way cool! Can you send me a copy of your fabrication sketches and a materials list? Especially the details on how you did the battery/wiring.

Thanks!

Michael

Adventurer
This is way cool! Can you send me a copy of your fabrication sketches and a materials list? Especially the details on how you did the battery/wiring.

Thanks!

Again, some of these photos were posted in other threads, but here is a recap. Some of these photos are "in progress" photos and don't show all the final details, such as battery tie-downs.

The battery is an Optima D31T (75AH) and I used a Blue Sea BatteryLink ACR as an isolator (please, not another thread on which is the best isolator!). The D31T is the only Optima I found that had a top vent port. I used some clear plastic tubing to vent the battery to the outside. Probably not necessary with an AGM battery, as they aren't supposed to off-gas unless you really abuse them, but I don't like to take any chances with off-gassing in the shell (my former submariner training!). I have the 130 amp alternator that comes with the Tacoma towing package so charging batteries isn't a problem.

In addition to the DC plugs and AC inverter in the cap, I ran an auxiliary 12VDC supply bus up to the cab using 8 gauge wire. I installed a bus distribution terminal under my double cup holder in the center console and a power distribution panel on the rear of the center console. My design goal was to have nothing but stock equipment coming off the starter battery. Radios, lights, nav system, Engel fridge, fwd inverter, etc all come off the 12 VDC aux battery forward bus. I used a chassis ground (being careful to make good connections) and I don't have any problems whatsoever with radio noise on 2m ham and just a bit on CB when using power windows or the inverter -- and that is probably due to the cheap CB I have :).

The charging bus is 4 gauge wire connecting the main battery in the engine compartment (fused at 60 amps) to the isolation unit in the bed. The aux DC power system can be isolated from the main battery by a barrel switch mounted on the fender wall in the engine compartment. All wires run through the undercarriage are in wire looms. The entire aux battery system has been reliable and trouble-free for over two years. I've never run the aux battery down below 11.5VDC, regardless of how many items I run overnight.

Enough for one post!

Attachments

• Aux Battery_03.JPG
    Aux Battery_03.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,559
  • Aux Battery_02.JPG
    Aux Battery_02.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,695
  • Aux Battery_01.JPG
    Aux Battery_01.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Batterylink ACR.jpg
    Batterylink ACR.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Platform_top view.jpg
    Platform_top view.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,336
  • Rear of Center Console.jpg
    Rear of Center Console.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,017
  • Under double cup holder.jpg
    Under double cup holder.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,982
  • 400W inverter.jpg
    400W inverter.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,606
  • Console wiring.jpg
    Console wiring.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • 2006 Toyota Tacoma bed platform.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,526
Last edited:

Michael

Adventurer
Michael,
That is some very nice work you have done! Looks great!
Thanks. I spend a lot of time in traffic to and from work thinking about the mods. I spend as much time on the little stuff (e.g., replacing mud flaps) as the big projects. It is all about optimization! Latest mod is a nav system computer (tablet) on a RAM Mount over the center console. Still optimizing it and enjoying the fact that it will take a while to finish this project :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles