Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I am jealous of the high top shells.

This is what I would like to replace my F150 with in the next few years.
00-06_TUNDRA_AC_SB_VISION_HR300_15.153135525_large.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
Just got back from a great 2 week trip from No. VA to Big Bend National Park. Over the last 10 years I've used two trucks for "cap camping" as a solo camper (because as a general rule, once you have a motorhome, no female in your family is sleeping in a tent or truck cap ever again).

I really admire the platform and drawer mods...some outstanding designs and execution on this forum. But for me I like to be able to have an empty bed for "truck work".

The Leer cap
: Model #180, very nice fit & finish. Best features: screened tinted windows; 4" over cab height is excellent for headroom AND for roof rack clearance when carrying kayak or canoe; fiberglass construction provides acceptable soundproofing/insulation.

The Tacoma: A reliable light 4x4 truck. Even with the TSB/recall upgraded rear spring pack I needed to add some suspension enhancement to the rear for towing, bumper rack MC hauling, or general hauling. A set of SumoSprings did the trick. For light to moderate forest road/trail use it does fine...no other mods. Loaded, bumper carrying a 200cc motorcycle, 70 MPH highway cruising = 17 MPG...beats the 10 MPG in my former full size truck. Bought used with the cap...no regrets.

"The Ritz": My simplistic approach is a Roll-a-Cot (no middle leg, so it fits tight against side of truck bed), some LED lighting (interior and at tailgate area), plastic storage bins, paracord along the top of the interior windows for drying a towel or blocking the sun, a 12vt portable fan, power ports for USB/12vt, and a sun/rain tarp rig. A RTIC 45 qt cooler works great; perfect size, big enough inside for ample supplies/ice, but small enough outside to easily carry and store. I use a mil. surplus water bag hung on the rear roof rack bar for water storage, dispensing, shower at camp. A sleeping pad or carpet remnant about 2'x2' works great as a seat/knee pad (the OEM semi corrugated bed interior is a bit rough on knees).

The Big + (for me): it works, is comfortable, and in 5 minutes I can have an empty truck bed; another 15 and the cap is off and resting on saw horses.

A video snippet about "the Ritz": [video]https://youtu.be/vs7eZJW-ECA[/video]

Last edited:

AdventureWelder

A.R.E. MX series truck cap

A.R.E. MX Series truck cap, built a queen sleeping platform that is attached with hinges to the front of the bed and rest on top of the wheel wells, two 100 lbs. gas springs assist with lifting the platform to access the storage underneath. Built a rear insert wall for 110 AC to beat the Texas heat.
F350 23.jpgF350 25.jpgF350 26.jpgF350 30.jpg

Bojak

Adventurer
Hummelator, how is the decked over all. Really wanting one and a shell. They are a bit pricey but if they are worth it then maybe. I can buy a lot of cabinet grade plywood for 1k so is it really awesome I'm hoping?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

malibubts

Adventurer
Hummelator, how is the decked over all. Really wanting one and a shell. They are a bit pricey but if they are worth it then maybe. I can buy a lot of cabinet grade plywood for 1k so is it really awesome I'm hoping?

Not the OP, but I also have a Decked and a camper shell. And actually have it setup extremely similar with the mattress.

IMG_9888 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

2017-06-25 17.00.10 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_0325 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_1232 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

I've had the shell on for close to a year now and the Decked for maybe 5 months, so far I'm pretty happy with everything. I run with tools, jumper cables, boots, med kit, etc in the right drawer pretty much all of the time. When I'm not out camping or doing anything like that I have the left drawer empty and fill it up with either guns/hunting gear or the rest of my camping gear.

The system is a little pricey though as the one downside. On one hand it's not terrible when you consider Truck Vault or how much a good pair of long drawer slides run. I drew some designs out and came somewhat close in price, but was also going to be double the weight of the Decked. I also don't think I would have been able to get it quite as modular. Back to the price you're probably going to need a couple add ons; I have the drawer dividers to keep things from sliding around and the track tie downs since you loose your mounting points.

Overall I'd definitely pull the trigger on the setup again. Really only thing I'd change is a looking into a mid rise for the extra room. I would have also loved a Flippac or Habitat instead of a normal shell, but that was more than I wanted to spend. It's also worth checking around on Craigslist; there were a number of them around me but unfortunately none for the current gen Ram. Folks seemed to be listing them in the $500-$600 range, kept looking nearly every day for a few months before I finally broke and bought new.

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Awesome. I'm a little bit of a prepped so gear storage is important to me. Not zombie doomsday prepper, more better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would roll the same as you with recovery, med bag, and other essentials in half. With a open drawer for throwing boom sticks or whatever in. I like the idea of the production level of the decked just knew it was pricey. Glad for your feedback, pricey and high quality equals worth it. Kind of like yeti stuff, pricey but good. Thanks again for feedback.

Hummelator

Adventurer

I really like having a flat surface with no wheel wells in the way. The drawers I'm not crazy about. I would have preferred drawers that extend the full length and I would have also preferred less angular drawers ( more square- vertical side walls of the drawer) but the way they have designed it neither of those ideals would work. But that said it's nice being able to store different thing in the truck on a regular basis and still have you bed free from clutter and stuff rolling around. I picked up mine for $500 used so I would consider the decked system a great value at this price. I checked into the price for a new decked system and it was north of $2000 CAD. Wouldn't even consider buying new at that price.

At $1000, having a product like this that is engineered for your truck I would be willing for fork over the money. No need to build design and go through the trail and error process to build your own. When the day comes for me to buy a new truck I will absolutly look for another decked system.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Mine is set up and identical to one above with Decked and flush cap. I run a queen air mattress, and all is good except the inside height. Consequently considering the new OVRLND camper. It is a cap but aluminum, and raises like a pop up slide in. Little pricey, but should cure remaining shortcomings...

deweycj7

8ft bed, so there is room for a tool box with about 6'4" length left for sleeping space. Softopper, Roll-a-cot, and some turf that was left over from a buddy's yard. My fridge is in the rear of the cab, along with my frequently accessed gear. I use the truck without the topper a lot, so I didn't build in any other storage in the bed. The Harbor Freight floor jack stays in there; it's way nicer to use than a bottle jack, and it doesn't take up any bed space. This is a work in progress. I make a couple of Baja California surf trips per year, plus weekend dirtbike trips locally, and I've been making small tweaks for a while; mostly just paring gear down to what actually gets used.
20180826_111456.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Not the OP, but I also have a Decked and a camper shell. And actually have it setup extremely similar with the mattress.

IMG_9888
by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

2017-06-25 17.00.10

IMG_0325

IMG_1232

I've had the shell on for close to a year now and the Decked for maybe 5 months, so far I'm pretty happy with everything. I run with tools, jumper cables, boots, med kit, etc in the right drawer pretty much all of the time. When I'm not out camping or doing anything like that I have the left drawer empty and fill it up with either guns/hunting gear or the rest of my camping gear.

The system is a little pricey though as the one downside. On one hand it's not terrible when you consider Truck Vault or how much a good pair of long drawer slides run. I drew some designs out and came somewhat close in price, but was also going to be double the weight of the Decked. I also don't think I would have been able to get it quite as modular. Back to the price you're probably going to need a couple add ons; I have the drawer dividers to keep things from sliding around and the track tie downs since you loose your mounting points.

Overall I'd definitely pull the trigger on the setup again. Really only thing I'd change is a looking into a mid rise for the extra room. I would have also loved a Flippac or Habitat instead of a normal shell, but that was more than I wanted to spend. It's also worth checking around on Craigslist; there were a number of them around me but unfortunately none for the current gen Ram. Folks seemed to be listing them in the $500-$600 range, kept looking nearly every day for a few months before I finally broke and bought new.
I have the same set up and love it, although it’s a tad tight with my truck bedz air mattress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier