Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

fishbowl

1894a1799f5fbf76a6b23b491cb4b649.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mbryson

Observer
There's probably a thread around somewhere but I haven't found it. My shell leaks a little in heavy rain. Just around the mating surface between the bed/topper. Still have the weatherstrip and such there. What are people doing to make things a little more water resistant?

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
There's probably a thread around somewhere but I haven't found it. My shell leaks a little in heavy rain. Just around the mating surface between the bed/topper. Still have the weatherstrip and such there. What are people doing to make things a little more water resistant?

How old is the shell? Over time the double bulb weather strip/seal on the shell will compress and the seal quality diminishes. Mine is 10+ yrs old and leaks a little too. Been too cheap to replace it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtcym1149

I don't sleep in mine but I don't think it would be too hard to set up a bunk on the left side. My cap just hauls the moto and mtb bikes. I sleep in my crew cab backseat bed.

Attachments

• KIMG0219.jpg
    KIMG0219.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 291
  • KIMG0218.jpg
    KIMG0218.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 278
  • KIMG0217.jpg
    KIMG0217.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 269

rawlk

Observer
Just built mine out too!

This was close to when I got it... Looks to actually be the wrong generation Leer 122 since it doesn't match up quite right.. CLOSE ENOUGH

After some heavy TLC and a quick macco paint job...

After a superbly quick sprint-build over the winter break, we came up with this:

Since its a hightop shell, there is plenty of headroom and I can VERY comfortably sit up in the back by the gate and come close to sitting up fully by the cab. There are removable covers along all of the cubbies along the side as well as a larger hatch/cubby in the front that houses 2 optimas, the electronics and onboard air.

many more pics on my build thread

mbryson

Observer
How old is the shell? Over time the double bulb weather strip/seal on the shell will compress and the seal quality diminishes. Mine is 10+ yrs old and leaks a little too. Been too cheap to replace it yet.

That's a good question. I don't know the answer. I'll run up to our shell dealer guy and see if he has some weatherstripping stuff to attach to the bottom.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
That's a good question. I don't know the answer. I'll run up to our shell dealer guy and see if he has some weatherstripping stuff to attach to the bottom.

The shell dealers can replace it easily. They typically lift the entire shell with a forklift and completely replace the double bulb seal with a new strip. This would be the way I'd go as they'll clean off any old adhesive residue and help to ensure a good seal. The forklift also makes getting the shell properly positioned much easier.

I also added a "tailgate seal" which is a weatherstrip that helps to seal the gaps around the tailgate where water and dust often blow into the bed area. I think I got my off Amazon. Try searching for "bed seal".

beachbum2020

Observer
Cool doomsday bunker bed! Literally and figuratively. Good idea using the mesh, both lightweight and allows for ventilation in warmer weather.

nickys68chevy

the bed pallet is 27" x 78". The crossbars are .062 wall 1x1", they were slotted into 1-1/4 x 1/8th u-channel and riveted.
The aluminum expanded metal was then riveted on. It has a 2.5" wide alum piano hinge (mcmaster carr) that attaches to a piece of 1.25 square tube from a previous project the 1.25 tube is bolted to the inside of the bed with 1/4-20 sidewalk bolts with butterfly nuts.20170306_083620.jpg added a hinged support 20170306_083650.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior