Goodyear Announces a new variant of the MT/R

daverami

Explorer
I know there are lots of negatives out there about the Duratracs. I wish I had had a chance to try the MT/Rs but I'm happy with the Duratracs (285/75R16). Not that many miles yet, but I've had them down to 15psi on rocks and in mud, and on pavement while raining, and snowy/icy conditions. They have performed quite well and I am very pleased. Much better than my BFG/AT's, which is a good tire. Of course this is my opinion for what it is worth. I wish Goodyear had both these tires in a load range D in the 285, and also in the 255 sizes.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree, but the 255/85 is a slowly dying size, or at the very least a niche market tire.

I take it that you don't prefer a needlessly firm load-range-E for lighter applications? Is it the firmer ride or the reduced flex that bothers you?

Snip...............

I wish Goodyear had both these tires in a load range D in the 285, and also in the 255 sizes.

daverami

Explorer
I agree, but the 255/85 is a slowly dying size, or at the very least a niche market tire.

I take it that you don't prefer a needlessly firm load-range-E for lighter applications? Is it the firmer ride or the reduced flex that bothers you?

The ride is a little firmer, but not bad. With the supposed weaker sidewall of the Duratrac, I think it actually helps. I'm not really complaining, but I think for the Tacomas, a load range D is plenty.

Why is it that the 255 is a dying size? I guess since it's so popular here, that it seems like everyone uses that size. Is it that the tire companies don't really sell that many?

God forbid tires are all going to start coming out requiring a 20 inch wheel!:(

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The 255/85R16 is disproportionately popular here and maybe on a few other enthusiast sites, but the figures don't lie. I don't have them at my fingertips but there are relatively few tires made/sold in 255/85R16.

The 265/75R16, 285/75R16 and their 17” equivalents are much more popular. Ask any tire store how many 255/85 they sell and you might just receive a blank stare. Unless the salesman has been in the tire business a while (not a 'kid') they might not be familiar with the size. I have already run into this at my local Discount Tire.

You are not far off with your 20" wheel comment. Very few trucks come with 16-inch wheels anymore, the Tacoma being one of them. Almost everything else is 17-18", often because of large brakes that won't fit a smaller wheel.

snip....

Why is it that the 255 is a dying size? I guess since it's so popular here, that it seems like everyone uses that size. Is it that the tire companies don't really sell that many?

God forbid tires are all going to start coming out requiring a 20 inch wheel!:(

daverami

Explorer
Ask any tire store how many 255/85 they sell and you might just receive a blank stare. Unless the salesman has been in the tire business a while (not a 'kid') they might not be familiar with the size. I have already run into this at my local Discount Tire.

Your statement is correct for this area too, at least the tire stores I went to when I was shopping around.

The BFG/Cooper store had no Cooper S/T's or BFG KM2's in that size that I wanted to try, and I would have had to order them. Les Schwab did not have any Toyo MT's in 255 either. That is really a shame.

Forgot to mention one other thing that I don't like about the load range E tire is the weight.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes, but the weight of each tire is just like sizing, it varies and is not always what you might think.

A 255/85 load-range E BFG KM2 is 55 lb.

A 255/85 load-range D Maxxis Bighorn is 57 lb.

Your statement is correct for this area too, at least the tire stores I went to when I was shopping around.

The BFG/Cooper store had no Cooper S/T's or BFG KM2's in that size that I wanted to try, and I would have had to order them. Les Schwab did not have any Toyo MT's in 255 either. That is really a shame.

Forgot to mention one other thing that I don't like about the load range E tire is the weight.

HB 4X4

Adventurer
I've narrowed it down to these or BFG AT KO's for my next set. I am still skeptical of the Goodyear MTR's since they are still relatively new and there aren't many long-term reports yet. My Nitto's are chunked bad, so I am looking for something tougher, but that won't require a new dental plan from a harsh on-road ride as it's my daily driver.

I am looking at the same spec's for both: LT285/70/17 D load rating.

I am most concerned with there being a significant difference for on-road comfort over the KO's. I will be coming from 285/70/17 P rated Nitto Terra Grapplers, so either one will be a big difference, but I want the better of the two. Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94