Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

I am sure that thing would fit well in any expedition vehicle!!!!:costumed-smiley-007

whats so great about that? those heineken mini kegs have built in co2 tanks to start with? so your paying for a what a cool little fridge? just drop the keg in your norcold and you have the same thing?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Courious to see how well it works. Price is definitely more in the range I would like to spend. Please report back when you get some use on yours.

x2....this is making me have bad thoughts about retiring my metal-clad, super-swanky coleman...:victory:

1speed

Explorer
If you use the Microsoft "Live Search Cashback" you can get it for 6% less at Compact Appliance bringing the price down to $371.39 :)

I love my Engel and bought it after reading many great testimonials on this and other sites. The Edgestar may be a great fridge but I don't like being the guinea pig. It would be nice to hear from a couple "real" people that have tried them.

Thanks for the tip! I ordered one yesterday for my wifes vehicle, she does home health and carries her food with her from home. I'm actually getting $26.34 cash back, so final price is $368.76. I got an email today saying it was shipped. I'll report later when it comes in.

dosentmater

ok i just recived my edgestar fridge freezer,it arived well protected,double boxed.
it is quiet running,the temp control and temperature read out is digital.
i will do a power draw test when i get some more time.
over all it looks like a good value.

1speed

Explorer
I got the fridge today. First impressions:

The good; Packed better than my Engel was, Nice metal cabinet, very substantial lid gasket, nice removeable baskets.

The bad; I took it out of the box and plugged it in and the control panel lit up but it wouldn't run.

Since I have been on the phone all day dealing with Dodge and Chrysler no-service departments, the last thing I wanted to do was make another phone call. I called the number in the manual and the guy I talked to was very helpful and knew right away what was wrong. Chrysler could learn something from him. Seems some of these units shipped without the temp sensor being plugged into the back of the control panel. My athritic fingers had a hard time plugging the connector into the back of the panel, but it solved the problem.
In the house at an ambient temp of 76f running on 110v the interior cooled form 76f to 34f in less than 15 minutes. This was empty and without using the "fast freeze" mode.

Last edited:

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
I'm anxiously awaiting your determination on the quality of these. I would love an Engel or ARB, but the current budget just can't afford it. We have a fairly big cross country easy camping trip that we are doing this summer and would love to have a fridge with us. Power draw will be a concern on some of our trips, but most will involve running the car everyday or so. Hope these units work out great for you guys.

timber

Adventurer
We have a guy at work that has had a Edgestar running in the back seat of a double cab Tacoma continuously for over a year with no problem. He is more of a prerunner guy and the thing has seen some lumps and bumps. It does seem to suck a little more juice but I believe it cools better than my Engel. Time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. FWIW

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
I just made the leap. I'm hoping to be very satisfied. I just couldn't pass up the price. I'll let you know what I think when I get it and get some time to run some tests on it.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
When I get mine I am planning on seeing if I can build a custom slide that will work for the RAV4. The Samurai will not need a slide due to its size and soft top. Also, I'm going to buy insulating material to see a transit bag. I've had friends make surfbourd bags out of the same stuff, and it was simple and cheap.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
OK, now that you guys are getting these in you hands. What is the real diamension of the box in the 17.7" direction. Is that the diamension of the box or does that include the latch and hinges? I have one constricting point where I'd like to carry it and need to know EXACTLY what the BOX measures. I'm not worried about the latch or the hinges

thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles