Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Its been a while since Ive owned a edgestar but you side vents look different also? maybe?

Thanks for the update. interesting changes.

JM Wands

@JM Wands, I wonder if the 'mode' button has your fast freeze option?

don't think so,,, looks like there is some cycle mode but they don't describe it's use. My have to call,,,

jm

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

edited to add-it also shows how to set different low voltage cut-off voltages. I don't recall reading about changing the value anywhere.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
edited to add-it also shows how to set different low voltage cut-off voltages. I don't recall reading about changing the value anywhere.

That is a new feature for sure. Mine (bought 2010) is fixed at approx 10.8V, which fortunately has worked fine for me, but everyone's situation is different.

I suspect the Fast Freeze function might have been incorporated into the speed mode setting. In "Auto" it probably will spin up the compressor faster automatically if the temp is (or rises) well above the thermostat setting, where the "low speed mode" is what the older unit's standard mode of operation was. Of course this is just a guess.

laxtoy

Adventurer
So I'm trying to get a little more fluent in electrical, and as I do this I realize it's been my tendency like a lot of people to "overfuse". I now have a dual battery system and my concerns over running the system dead are over (was ruining a single dead off a day plus of running the fridge), knock on wood.

I ran 10 awg off a 100 amp fuse block and read somewhere to fuse it with a 30 amp fuse. That will protect the wire and hopefully prevent any dangers, but after looking through a lot of this thread (not going back through all of it), it seems a little overkill for something that only draws 5 amps or so.

I've read guys were having some issues with too thin of a wire gauge causing a low voltage cutoff, so will putting a smaller fuse, like say a 10 amp effectively cut the wire size to 16 awg?

Lastly, any issue with keeping the 30 amp fuse? I'm unaware if the fridge has any protection and yes, I'm too lazy to go look

teddyearp

Adventurer
So I'm trying to get a little more fluent in electrical, and as I do this I realize it's been my tendency like a lot of people to "overfuse". I now have a dual battery system and my concerns over running the system dead are over (was ruining a single dead off a day plus of running the fridge), knock on wood.

I ran 10 awg off a 100 amp fuse block and read somewhere to fuse it with a 30 amp fuse. That will protect the wire and hopefully prevent any dangers, but after looking through a lot of this thread (not going back through all of it), it seems a little overkill for something that only draws 5 amps or so.

I've read guys were having some issues with too thin of a wire gauge causing a low voltage cutoff, so will putting a smaller fuse, like say a 10 amp effectively cut the wire size to 16 awg?

Lastly, any issue with keeping the 30 amp fuse? I'm unaware if the fridge has any protection and yes, I'm too lazy to go look

Please don't take this as me flaming you, just as a helpful hint. this question will probably get much more result if asked in the general camping equipment section:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/30-Camping-Equipment

Again, I really am only trying to help. There was a thread a tiny bit more specific to your question, but it must be back a page or two. Still, I think you'll get a lot more help starting a new thread with your question than asking in this thread.

good luck.

p.s. more specifically, I have had good luck with using my edgestar in my 2006 Libby KJ with stock electrical. I can always count on at least 12 hours with the engine off, usually 14-16 is the longest I go. I have had the fridge shut off and 'undervolt' a couple of times near that long. Once I think I tried over 18 hours and it didn't shut off and drained the battery. But then another piece of overland equip I carry came in handy and was able to jump from that.

TacomaAustin

Observer

I run my fridge while on the road from the vehicle battery. I also have a separate auxiliary AGM battery located adjacent to the fridge, which provides power at the camp site or at an overnight hotel.

My Indel B fridge probably doesn't draw more than 4 to 5 amps at start up - and - in Eco mode, it quickly settles down to a 2.5 amp draw through rest of the operation cycle. The distance from the vehicle battery to where my fridge sits is about 15 feet. To be on the safe side I ran a dedicated AWG #10 gauge wire from the vehicle battery to a power port where the fridge resides. This was to insure that the voltage drop at full load stayed within the 3% range.

The 15 amp fuse is located adjacent to the vehicle battery, not the fridge. If any thing should malfunction at the power port - or - within the fridge itself, bang the whole circuit is protected. Keep in mind that the length of the fuse is really only a fraction of an inch in the total 15 foot wire run. Is it a significant factor, I cannot say. I've run my fridge up to 8 hours off the vehicle battery in mostly mild weather and so far no issues with the low voltage cut-off.

I guess someone could run a test to see if there is a significant difference in voltage drop in a DC circuit with a long wire run - when it is under a load - caused by the inline fuse.

As mentioned above, the folks who frequent the Power Systems, 12, Solar, Gen section of this web site can best answer your question.s

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/48-Power-Systems-12v-Solar-Gen

JLee

Adventurer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142327697278

Max-Burton-37-Qrt-Portable-12-volt-Fridge-Freezer-Special-Purchase - $295 shipped

Has anyone seen these? Any idea how they compare to Edgestar/etc? I do like that it appears to have separate fridge/freezer compartments, but the fridge compartment seems unusably tiny.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Looks interesting, but cannot find any info on it from a Max Burton website. Looks almost similar to an ARB. One thing, most if not all either freeze or refrigerate so there is no seperate fridge and freezer compartments.

Buy one and let us know how it works! Hehe. It certainly looks like a good deal.

Caretaker

Caretaker
Has anyone purchased one of the fridges off of openbox recently? I've been looking since before Christmas and haven't seen ANY of the models com up on their site....

teddyearp

Adventurer
^^^ Ditto. Mine is about a year old now. I put it on the back seat of my KJ and it just lives there. Anytime I have a need to use it, I plug it in, and she works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles