Air pumps

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been equipping ultra-light expedition equipment. Basically outfitting my dual sport motorcycle similar to what I have done with my truck.

I came across this little pump and it reminds me quite a bit of the bargain 12 volt MV-50 compressor I carry in the truck. I thought it might come in handy for others that bicycle or motorcycle as well.

It is the Air Revolution foot pump tire inflator. Check this out: Youtube Video Demonstration

airrev_tearsheet.jpg

Twisted throttle has a comparison
article: said:
Pump Comparison - electric vs. foot-powered

We wanted to show just how awesome our MiniFootPumps are, so we decided to run a comparison between the Original MiniFootPump, the AirRevolution, the 12V Slime Power Sports Tire Inflator and the 12V Cycle Pump.

Size Comparison:

Pump Weight (lbs) Height (in) Length (in) Width (in) Packed Size (in3)
Cycle Pump 12-volt Tire Inflator 2.30 10.25 5.50 2.25 126.84
Slime Power Sports 12-volt Tire Inflator 1.20 6.25 6.50 2.00 81.25
Original MiniFootPump 0.56 5.25 3.50 3.50 64.31
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 1.06 6.00 3.50 3.50 73.50

Pulling the results of the "12 V Mini Pumps Battle!" from the November 2006 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, we tested the performance of our pumps on a similar rear tire. We used the 17" rear tire of a Triumph Tiger 1050 - they used the 17" rear tire on a Buell Ulysses. Both bikes use the same tire size and shape (180/55 ZR17).

We tested the inflation times to 30 PSI, 36 PSI and 44 PSI. The results? (Note: some times are missing because the MCN article did not record times greater than 5 minutes)

Pump 0 to 30 PSI 30 to 36 PSI 36 to 44 PSI Total Time & Final Pressure Rear Tire Tested
Cycle Pump 12-volt Tire Inflator 3 minutes - +2 minutes 5 minutes@44psi Pirelli Scorpion Sync 180/55 ZR17
Slime Power Sports 12-volt Tire Inflator 4 min :17 sec* - not reached within 5 minutes - - not reached within 5 minutes - 5 minutes at 31.8psi Pirelli Scorpion Sync 180/55 ZR17
Original MiniFootPump 5 minutes +50 seconds +60 seconds 5.8 minutes@44psi Avon Storm ST 180/55 ZR17
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 4 min : 30 sec +45 seconds +54 seconds 6.1 minutes@44psi Avon Storm ST 180/55 ZR17

*Slime pump inflation time to 30psi based on linear interpolation between the pressures measured at 3 minutes (26.7psi) and 5 minutes (31.8psi).

Most 17" front sportbike tires or 19" front dual-sport tires can be inflated in about 60% less time than a 17" rear sportbike or dual-sport tire, as a front tire's volume is about 60% lower. To prove the point, we tested front tire inflation speeds on the Avon 120/60-ZR17 front tire on our shop's Suzuki SV650. MCN did not test front tires, we don't have data for our competitor's pumps.

Pump 0 to 30 PSI 30 to 36 PSI 36 to 42 PSI Total Time & Final Pressure Front Tire Tested
Original MiniFootPump 2 minutes +35 seconds +38 seconds 3.2 minutes@42psi Avon 120/60-ZR17
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 1.5 minutes +25 seconds +25 seconds 2.3 minutes@42psi Avon 120/60-ZR17
There is aslo a review done by Gearreview.com
Gearreview said:
Two Foot Pumps From Mini Foot Pump
By James Sharp

According to Mark Twain, the only thing that a person can be sure of in life is death and taxes. If you ride at all, you can add flats to the list. I cannot count how many times I have been riding along only to suddenly hear air coming from one tire or another. Nothing ruins a good lead in a race like a flat. I have spent many hours sitting on the side of the road pumping with a little frame pump until my arms felt like they were going to fall off, or worse, pumping like mad only to have the valve stem snap off because I got a little overzealous. Well, there is a new (on this side of the Atlantic) pump that can alleviate some, but not all of the frustrations associated with flats. It is called the Mini Foot Pump.

The Mini Foot Pump comes in two flavors: the small, carry-with-you Mini Foot Pump and the larger-but-still-Lilliputian Air Revolution. They retail for $29.95 and $49.95, respectively. As the name may indicate these are small pumps that you activate with your foot. Both are capable pumps and both can inflate road or mountain tires.
Air Revolution Foot Pump

Air Revolution
The Air Revolution is the Big Brother to the Mini Foot Pump, but that doesn’t mean that it is large in any way, weighing in at a paltry 17 ounces. It has two chambers, one low pressure and one high pressure, and is capable of reaching 260psi. This means that it doubles as a shock pump and is even equipped with a bleed valve and high pressure gauge. The pump head is designed so that it doesn’t lose any air from the shock when you go to disconnect it. This is achieved by backing off the pin that presses the shocks valve core before you remove the pump head. Unfortunately this same head that is so great for a shock requires the use of an adaptor to fit presta valves. I’ve never been a big fan of adaptors. They can get misplaced and never seem to be where you need them. A nylon bag that carries the pump and adaptors is included.

The dual chamber design of the Air Revolution lends to its stability, something needed when you use your foot to pump, but doesn’t do anything for the efficiency of the pump. Inflating a tire is by no means quick, one of the prices paid for high pressure.
Mini Foot Pump

Mini Foot Pump
The Mini Foot Pump (MFP) is the real story here. At just 9 ounces, the MFP is about as light as you’d expect for a pump this size. Marketed as the Bikers Dream in Europe, the MFP has been around for some time, just not in the U.S. Don’t let its size fool you; this is a capable pump. It is rated to 140psi, more than almost all road tires. The efficiency of the MFP is actually better than the Air Revolution. That’s not to say that it is particularly fast, but it ranks right up there with other small pumps. The pump head is convertible from presta to Schrader.

What is the biggest benefit? No more hunching over to fill a tire road- or trail-side. No more damaged or broken valve stems, thanks to the long hose. You attach the pump, stand up hold your own bike, and pump. No more, “hey could you hold my bike for a minute while I pump.”

Like the Air Revolution, the MFP comes with a nylon bag. The bag for the MFP, however, has three hook-and-loop straps to attach it to your top tube.

Summary: Both the Mini Foot Pump and the Air Revolution are quality pumps. While both have their limitations, the Air Revolution seems to have more of them. It isn’t quite small enough for a mini pump, but doesn’t have the volume for a floor pump. I see the buyer as someone who travels a lot and doesn’t want to pack a shock pump and a tire pump, or someone who finds space in his/her car to be at a premium during the summer road trips. The Mini Foot Pump, on the other hand, would be a good choice for anyone who rides, whether on road or off. It attaches to the frame via the included nylon bag, keeping it away from the muck and mud of off-road rides; likewise it doesn’t take up room in your hydration or seat pack. I would recommend the MFP for anyone who continually damages valve stems, or who is looking for an easy to use frame pump, from novice to expert.

James Sharp is a contributing editor for GearReview.com specializing in mountain biking.

ATV source had a press release in 2004
April, 2004 – Munich Germany – The MiniFootPump© Company has further improved the dual cylinder AirRevolution. The new Power Sport Edition includes many upgrades over the previous
version. Sepp Kanzian, MFP inventor explains: “We listened to our power sports customers from all over the world. We added almost 20% air volume through aluminum cylinders, a more stable base and a heavier gauge chrome spring. The appealing design remains, yet the internal technology yields a better pump for power sports users.”

“Be Confident – Be prepared”

* The AirRevolution is compact. It measures 6 inches high by 3.
* The AirRevolution is lightweight. It weighs just one once over a paltry pound – 17 ounces of effective air pump.
* The AirRevolution is durable, dependable and accurate – due to its “No Pressure Loss’” shut off adapter. It really works, and it will last and last.
* The AirRevolution is so easy to use, its even fun. Your legs do the work, and you’re not down on your hands and knees with your backside waving at passing traffic trying to pump up a tire with an inefficient hand pump.
* The AirRevolution is efficient. The two aluminum cylinders pump action, and the 32” hose easily reaches everywhere.
* The AirRevolution is versatile. It pumps up any tire, small or large, as well as balls, toys and other inflatables.
* The AirRevolution packs along with you in its own nylon carrying case, with room to spare.

“Never Worry - Never Stranded”

Bikers Dream, LLC (DBA MiniFootPump©) is an affiliate of Bikers Dream Germany. Distributed through Tucker Rocky Distributing, Medart ATV, Advantage Performance, Motovan Corp., D’Pirate, Toy Box Trailers, White Horse Press etc.

For more information contact Volker Ackermann at 415.482.9907 or Volker@minifootpump.com or visit them on at www.minifootpump.com.
Nice compact little unit. The bag is about the size of my hand. They are hard to find on ebay as normal search terms don't turn up all the pumps. On ebay a search using "german foot pump" will find the seller I bought mine from for $22 shipped.

I could easily see this as being a nice little unit to carry in the truck or bike for emergencies. It might take some time, but some air is better than none. For a bike it is awesome.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I found it interesting that the foot pump was pretty comparable to the Slime electric pump. Actually appears to be faster at pressures above 36 psi. I assume that would not be as important for a motorcycle.
The price is very comparable.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i too have a tiny electric, but that foot pump looks awsome,, i think i want it !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94