Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

Don't base the length of your trailer tongue on what I did. Make it the right length for what you have. I determined the length to be as short as possible for trail maneuverability, but long enough to keep the trailer from hitting the side of the truck if and when I jackknife the trailer. Not sure what to tell you about the tire carrier. You'll need to work around that. But my trailer is one reason I did a double swing out on my rear bumper so the swing arms were shorter and wouldn't hit the trailer when they opened.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I forgot if it's mentioned, what is the height different from the top of the trailer to the bottom of the tent when closed and the different in height when raised?

Box Rocket

I forgot if it's mentioned, what is the height different from the top of the trailer to the bottom of the tent when closed and the different in height when raised?

Good question. I'd have to just guess at the moment. When the rack is down it's probably about 14". With the rack raised the distance is probably 36" or thereabouts.

Phoenix

Adventurer
Great build!

Referring to pipes used to lift the tent. I believe you have an outside pipe that is stationary, and an inside pipe which moves up. When in the up position, how much of the inside pipe is still in the outside pipe?

Box Rocket

Great build!

Referring to pipes used to lift the tent. I believe you have an outside pipe that is stationary, and an inside pipe which moves up. When in the up position, how much of the inside pipe is still in the outside pipe?

Probably 6"

Box Rocket

Thanks for the info. Rip off of box rocket RTT rack starts in August. Please, take it as a compliment.

Ironic that I had a dream last night that I was at an offroad event and came back from a trail ride to find that my RTT and rack had been cut off my trailer and stolen. ;)

Good luck with your build and share pics!

Phoenix

Adventurer
Ironic that I had a dream last night that I was at an offroad event and came back from a trail ride to find that my RTT and rack had been cut off my trailer and stolen. ;)

Good luck with your build and share pics!

I can assure you that "rip off" was meant metaphorically. Trying to get enough done for a few posts in a build thread. I promise plenty of pictures, and when we meet on the trail some time, bacon.

Seanrcaldwell

Now to the tent rack.

The rack is made from 1.5" square tubes welded to the side of the trailer tub and the rack itself is 1x2" square tube for the platform and 1.25" square tube for the legs that slide down inside the 1.5" tubes on the tub.

Each post has a spring loaded "pop pin" to keep it locked in either the low or high setting. Each corner has a 50lb gas strut to raise the tent.

Zinc coated handles on the sides of the platform (actually just some cut down ubolts) to help pull the rack back down to the low setting.

Pull the 4 pop pins (1 on each corner) and the platform goes up to the height needed to use the annex with the RTT.

Some quick pics of the tent set up with the annex. It was getting dark so I didn't open up all the windows etc.

All done. Can't wait to get out and use it!

where did u get the gas struts? iv been looking online for weeks and haven't found any with stud mounting like the ones u r using

Box Rocket

I may be cutting off the telescoping tent rack soon. Since changing the tent that's on the trailer to one without an annex, I don't need the tent to be raised. So the rack may turn to scrap and a new lid may finally cover my trailer. We'll see. Probably a few weeks away before I can tackle this, but I'm shooting to complete it before CruiserFest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior