Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

wely

Observer
I guess from you last response we are building trailers from the same stand point. I want my trailer to be utilitarian in nature. Load the camping box for trips or keep the trailer open for around the house duties.

Box Rocket

I guess from you last response we are building trailers from the same stand point. I want my trailer to be utilitarian in nature. Load the camping box for trips or keep the trailer open for around the house duties.

Yep exactly. I will probably use this trailer as much if not more for stuff around the house as I do for camping.

Box Rocket

update:

Well, maybe I'll reget it later on but what's done is done. I welded in the steel floor yesterday. I'm planning on use bed liner inside the tub as well as underneath. Hopefully it won't be too noisy but I gotta think, my flatbed minitruck had a steel deck and the floor in my reskinned 40 was the same 16ga. that was lined both sides and it wasn't noisy. I may get some dents in the steel that I wouldn't get with a wood floor but o well.

So after cutting the sheet to size I needed to "clearance" it a little around the welds for the tub frame and the tie downs.

Here's a couple pics where you can see where I did that.

_MG_3394.jpg

_MG_3393.jpg

All fitted and in place.

_MG_3391.jpg

_MG_3390.jpg

Stitching it to the frame. Pretty much did this around all corners.

_MG_3396.jpg

only other thing I did was cut down a ubolt to use as a tongue handle.

_MG_3395.jpg

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Couple thoughts. I just did the inside of my trailer with Hippoliner, the kind you can color. What a waste of money that was. Nothing more than thick paint that barely covers primer after three coats. Would have been better off to go to Walmart and get a gallon of house paint and throw a handful of sand in it. It might be harder than house paint, not sure yet til it dries for a few days.
CJ Jeep rear fender flares off of a CJ5 or CJ7 will bolt right on to the lip of your fenders and give you about 2" per side. HD rubber to boot.
I use them on my M100 fenders and they work well.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Adam

I think it would be beneficial to put a reinforcing ring around the end of receiver tube. The fit between the tube and the coupler will have some play, due to tolerance differences, and the tube takes some abuse.

Box Rocket

Adam

I think it would be beneficial to put a reinforcing ring around the end of receiver tube. The fit between the tube and the coupler will have some play, due to tolerance differences, and the tube takes some abuse.

Thanks Martyn. It's in the plans, just haven't done it yet. I always appreciate insight from the expert.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks Martyn. It's in the plans, just haven't done it yet. I always appreciate insight from the expert.

Not really an expert, just a pain when it comes to detail.

In my efforts to make suggestions I forgot the most important thing, "great trailer build".

Box Rocket

Couple thoughts.
CJ Jeep rear fender flares off of a CJ5 or CJ7 will bolt right on to the lip of your fenders and give you about 2" per side. HD rubber to boot.
I use them on my M100 fenders and they work well.

Very interesting idea. I wonder if the CJ flares are the same radius? Anyone know for sure? I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for some cheap C flares and see if they'll work.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Looks great. I realy like the tiedowns. For your latch (I know its alreary on) but have you thought about a latch that doesnt have any removable parts.

Like these hood pins,

HoodPinSparco.jpg

or maybe a Land Rover anti-luce tailgate latch (attached)

-Jeff

Attachments

• antiluce.jpg
    antiluce.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 566

Box Rocket

Looks great. I realy like the tiedowns. For your latch (I know its alreary on) but have you thought about a latch that doesnt have any removable parts.

Like these hood pins,

HoodPinSparco.jpg

or maybe a Land Rover anti-luce tailgate latch (attached)

-Jeff

Good thought on the latches. I actually looked at the antiluce latches as an option. I plan on just using a little safety cable on the pins that I've got so I don't pull them out and lose them.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
My M100 fenders are roughly 32" from end to end across the opening; and about 12" deep from that plane to the top of the fender. Hope that helps.
I believe that Quadratec still sells the CJ flares. Edit: Just found them. 4 piece flare set for CJ5 and 7, OEM style replacement flares. Part # 22510.00
$69.99
They do not show just the rear flares alone.
www.quadratec.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior