Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

I got a few things done on Saturday. I was hopng to do more but my neighbor saw me in the garage and stopped to chat. That quickly ate up a couple hours. Then a friend called and needed an extra set of hands moving a TV. But I did get the captured nuts welded in on the inside of the tub for my plywood sides. I also got the reinforcement all welded up at the end of the tongue. I didn't have tube to slide over but I had some 3/16 plate that I cut and welded on. Turned out well. Then I used some of my left over 1x3 that I used for the tub rail and made some little steps at the front and back edges of the fenders. ALso welded a little tab on the steps to bolt the outside of the fenders to. Fenders are rock solid now and I can stand on them without any flexing.

reinforced tongue...
_MG_3420.jpg

captured nuts, there's one in each of the tub uprights so I can bolt in my plywood sides.
_MG_3421.jpg

Steps and fender tabs. Nothing fancy but enough for an adequate step and really holds the fender solid.
_MG_3423.jpg

trailer tucked into the corner nook in the garage. You can see both fender steps and the amount of tire still exposed with these particular fenders.
_MG_3424.jpg

Box Rocket

So what are opinions from the peanut gallery in regards to shocks on leaf sprung trailers? I know some run 'em, some don't. I haven't planned on using them but maybe I should. What's the word?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I don't have shocks on my Bantam T3-C (civilian Bantams were not equipped with shocks, unlike their military brethren which were).

Except for times that the trailer is towed empty (which is almost never as it is usually packed with camping gear and ready to go), I have never experienced the bouncing that shocks would addresss.

You could always skip the shocks for now, and add them at the end of your project if you determine that they would be beneficial.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
I never noticed the shocks doing anything when the trailer was loaded, only helped with a bit of sway and bounce when empty.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
They put shocks on the back of pickups with leaf springs... They do serve a purpose, no doubt. You just have to figure out if they are necessary with your trailer.

Box Rocket

They put shocks on the back of pickups with leaf springs... They do serve a purpose, no doubt. You just have to figure out if they are necessary with your trailer.

Well oddly enough I am aware that there is a purpose to shocks beyond the cosmetic aspect. Had I not known that however, you're comment would have been most helpful.:REOutArchery02:

My question then (to clarify) is based on personal experience with your own trailers, at what point, or for what reason have you felt it necessary to use shocks in combination with your leaf springs? Are shocks there primarily for when the trailer is unloaded or with only a light load to control bounce? Or does it have an affect on gravel roads and rocky trails as well?

sseaman

Adventurer
Adam, I do not have shocks on my smaller trailer, and notice when it is empty it likes to bounce, but i think it it due to the tires more than the springs. I usually have the spare strapped somewhere so this helps some.

If you do add shocks, report back if it helps or not.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well oddly enough I am aware that there is a purpose to shocks beyond the cosmetic aspect. Had I not known that however, you're comment would have been most helpful.:REOutArchery02:

My question then (to clarify) is based on personal experience with your own trailers, at what point, or for what reason have you felt it necessary to use shocks in combination with your leaf springs? Are shocks there primarily for when the trailer is unloaded or with only a light load to control bounce? Or does it have an affect on gravel roads and rocky trails as well?

Adam

What are you using for leaf springs?

If they are flexible, as in you can get good deflection when you apply your body weight to the trailer, then shock absorbers are very beneficial.

If you have extremely stiff springs, or a combination of stiff and short, then shock absorbers may be of no benefit at all in dampening the system. It's just going to bounce.

Rather than thinking of the leaf springs and shock absorbers as separate items think of them as working in combination. The spring providing the flexibility and load bearing features, and the shock dampening the oscillations.

Box Rocket

Adam

What are you using for leaf springs?

If they are flexible, as in you can get good deflection when you apply your body weight to the trailer, then shock absorbers are very beneficial.

If you have extremely stiff springs, or a combination of stiff and short, then shock absorbers may be of no benefit at all in dampening the system. It's just going to bounce.

Rather than thinking of the leaf springs and shock absorbers as separate items think of them as working in combination. The spring providing the flexibility and load bearing features, and the shock dampening the oscillations.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I am trying to think of the springs/shocks as a complete suspension rather than two separate peices, but was wondering if there have been some general considerations as to when and why one would need shocks or wouldn't. You comment has answered the general aspect to the question.

As for what I have right now, I will openly admit it is not ideal. I am using trailer springs for the time being. They are shorter than ideal and are fairly stiff. In the future it is likely that I will change these out. Either to longer, softer leafs or to a trailing arm/airbag setup. But at least for now, I'll be running with these trailer springs. I am counting on having some bounce especially when it's unloaded. Sounds like I may not need shocks right now until I change things up.

Thanks Martyn for the input.

Box Rocket

I got the last bit of welding done (except for the lid) today. That included a couple more floor braces and loops for the safety chains on the tongue and the truck. After that was done I pulled out my magnetic towing lights and hooked it all up and took it for a spin. Ran it down a gravel road near my house at about 40mph. Bounces a bit, but I'm sure most of that is because it's empty, and there were some good potholes. Got it up to about 60mph on pavement. Tracks straight and obviously can't even tell it's back there since its empty. Found a big dirt pile and tried my best to check the lock-n-roll. So far I'm really liking the hitch. Doesn't make any noise that I can hear and I'm sure will work well on the trail.

After the test run I came back and broke out some brake cleaner. I was going to use the acetone I picked up last week, but didn't get a chance to go buy the necessary rubber gloves. So I sprayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner and got a coat of primer on the exterior sides and most of the interior of the tub. I still need to spray more on the inside and underside of the tub, and the fenders. I also sprayed the tongue and main frame with some satin black rustoleum. It's definitely starting to take shape now. I picked up some CJ7 fender flares (thanks to Exiled for the suggestion) and they are even the perfect length for how I trimmed the fenders. They're going to work great and are just the right width to cover the rest of the tires too. Sorry I forgot to take pics of the primer etc.

One more little bonus was a call from Wildyoats who happened to be at NPS (a local discount warehouse) today. I guess there was a sizeable quantity of products from UPOL that showed up at the warehouse recently. One of those products is the Raptor liner that I've been planning on using inside and under the tub. Normally the kits go for $100-$120 and sometimes a little more if the kit includes the Schutz gun. It can be had a little cheaper on ebay I think. It sounds like they had several kits (without the gun) at NPS for $59. That's a pretty sweet deal and Wildyoats was thoughtful enough to call me and let me know and also pick one up for me. I have found the UPOL Schutz guns for $10-$15 so I'll snag one of those soon and hopefully get this thing all painted and lined in the next couple weeks.

Here's a few pics from the test drive.
_MG_3494.jpg

_MG_3495.jpg

My temporary magnetic towing lights and I need to get new hooks for my safety chains. The chains have those threaded chain links on the ends and they don't open far enough to go onto the chain loops on the tongue so there is an old ratchet strap hook on it for now. And yes, I'll run two chains not just one.
_MG_3500.jpg

_MG_3503.jpg

_MG_3507.jpg

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
I've got to learn how to weld. This not only looks super functional, but seems like it would be super fun too. Can't wait to see it all lined and painted.

Box Rocket

Only had a few minutes tonight so I got the CJ flares mounted up. Hoping to finish up primer and paint on Saturday. Then spray the bedliner next week.

_MG_3516.jpg

You can see that these fenders and flares are very close to covering the tires. I think its good enough for me.

_MG_3517.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online