solar rechargers

jatibb

Adventurer
im about to buya nikon d70 from a friend, are there any solar battery rechargers for the nikon en-el3a batteries? i think i might buy a non nikon brand with a recharger. i can use the aa rechargeables in my kodak i use for work everyday. (c653 easyshare)
what combos can i use that can recharge fairly quickly or just stick to the norm? if its gonna cost $100 then ill just stick to a nikon charger and battery pack. but a aa charger that could do it all would be great

teotwaki

Excelsior!
you may want to consider the recharger from Powerfilm. It includes the batteries as well. We carry them for $85. More info at http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/portable_remote/index.php?cat=pr_usb
You can order from us at 909-398-0100.

That thing is cute but I don't fully understand the specs. The solar portion is 3.6 V at 0.4 A or 1.44 Watts.

The USB portion is 5 V and says up to 1A which means up to 5 Watts?

Maybe the 3.6 VDC-to-5 VDC converter uses the two fully charged AA nicads to supply the peak surge. That makes sense now. :sombrero:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I'm intrigued by the build you're in the process of constructing.

Why not just line the roof with solar panels and recharge the batteries like you would normally off a inverter?

My wife and I live full time in a 25' Travel Trailer and we recharge all our camera/cell phone...etc batteries off a small 400watt inverter that is hard mounted inside the cab of the truck.

Any time we're driving, we just recharge the normal camera batteries, or our rechargable AA or AAA batteries used for electronic devices used in day to day life.

This way the truck is running and charging everything while we drive. Even if we leave the inverter running overnight if we were using the cameras all day, it's never enough to kill the truck batteries.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Thread hijack to answer questions:

"whats going on with the container cabin?"

On hold until end of April. Projects to complete at AT

"I'm intrigued by the build you're in the process of constructing.
Why not just line the roof with solar panels and recharge the batteries like you would normally off a inverter?
My wife and I live full time in a 25' Travel Trailer and we recharge all our camera/cell phone...etc batteries off a small 400watt inverter that is hard mounted inside the cab of the truck.
Any time we're driving, we just recharge the normal camera batteries, or our rechargable AA or AAA batteries used for electronic devices used in day to day life. This way the truck is running and charging everything while we drive. Even if we leave the inverter running overnight if we were using the cameras all day, it's never enough to kill the truck batteries."

CC has panels & wind power.

Hijack done.

Portable chargers are perfect to attach to pack when on foot.

Robthebrit

Explorer
You are not going to get enough power from a small solar panel to run an inverter so some form of USB or maybe 12v charger is your only option. Can you get a car charger for the Nikon battery?

New camera batteries are all li-ion batteries and cannot be trickle charged in the same way as a car battery can. You either have enough power to charge them or you don't.

Can you get a AA adapter for a Nikon? (Canon allows you to use AA's in the hand grip but not in the main camera). The AA metal hydride batteries can be charged from a solar panel without too much problem. I'm not sure how many shots you get from a pack of AA's, for Canon you need 6 AA's and you don't get many shots.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles