Converting to DualSport

18seeds

Explorer
I've been considering a second form of transportation and have been going back and fortth with a street bike, dual sport bike or scooter. The scooter was a great option since i could park it pretty much anywhere but I've realized that I will probably be losing my job soon which is in the city. So now there is no need for a scooter...haha.

I've been looking a dual sport bikes and really like the Kawasaki KLR650 but as a beginner biker i think it would be too much bike for me off the trail. In college I had a Yamaha FZR 600 crotch rocket and it was a lot to handle back then. I figured the bike will be used as a local form of transportation with little to NO highway use. I'd like to also use the bike to explore the many ghost towns in CO. OK enough babbling!

Instead of buying a TRUE dualsport I am considering getting a Yamaha WR450 and converting it to street legal. I think this is a better option as I have heard a lot of dual sport bikes (esp the Kaw KLR) are not really good once you get offroad.

Has anybody thought about this? Most of the dual sports are better suited for the road and soft off road conditions. I'll be driving the bike around town but nothing crazy but really want to be able to hit the trails hard. Also consider that I am a beginner.

perterra

Adventurer
Biggest downfall of the big dual sports off road is weight. But a street legal WR doesnt sound like much fun on road. To me the WR seems pretty much useless for anything but a race bike/toy. Compression ratio means your burning premium fuel, miniscule fuel capicity and the sub frame of the bike is such that your not likely going to be able to hard mount much in the way of bags/racks. I would think an enduro bike would be a much better ticket than a race bike, better electric capicity (means more lights can be added)

The Suzuki DRZ 400 has developed a good rep as a bike that will cover ground and do trails. Theres plenty of choices, KTM, Husky, Suzuki, Honda, Kawa and Yamaha. Plus a bunch of others. If you plan on spending your time jumping the bike, WR's a good choice, if you plan on slogging your way into some serious backwoods for 3 days at a time, I can think of better choices.

The KLR is pretty big no doubt, but to do all things well, you have to give up doing some things good. I know there are a couple of guys who have ridden their KLR's from Jacksonville FLA to San Diego CA in less than 50 hours, then road the continental divide from north to south spending next to no time on pavement.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php

Scott Brady

Founder
18seeds said:
Instead of buying a TRUE dualsport I am considering getting a Yamaha WR450 and converting it to street legal. I think this is a better option as I have heard a lot of dual sport bikes (esp the Kaw KLR) are not really good once you get offroad.

Has anybody thought about this? Most of the dual sports are better suited for the road and soft off road conditions. I'll be driving the bike around town but nothing crazy but really want to be able to hit the trails hard. Also consider that I am a beginner.

With no highway intentions, that is the way to go IMHO. No highway also means you probably wont need luggage either.

That 450 is a KILLER bike. The performance is incredible, and strikes the perfect combination of weight and power. The 650's will only eat it at high speeds. Everything else the 450 will rule the trail.

slepe67

go check out Thumper Talk dot com. Look around in there. I ride a 2000 XR600R, and it does fine, on and off the highway. You may want to check the title. If it says OFF ROAD or RACING on it, you're SOL. My bike isnt exactly registered as an XR600R, and we'll leave it at that. It IS street legal. Baja Designs sells some cool kits to convert these bikes to street legal status. Go look in those sites. You'll be glad you did.

Crap, had to edit this. Forgot I havent posted in here before. Been lurking about for about 2 or 3 months. Joined last month, first post is today. I own a 2007 FJ Cruiser, and 2 dirt bikes, 2 Harleys, and spend much time in the great white outdoors. Livein FL, grew up (and miss) MT. Well, that's my short intro. See ya around....JL

Scott Brady

Founder
slepe67 said:
Crap, had to edit this. Forgot I havent posted in here before. Been lurking about for about 2 or 3 months. Joined last month, first post is today. I own a 2007 FJ Cruiser, and 2 dirt bikes, 2 Harleys, and spend much time in the great white outdoors. Livein FL, grew up (and miss) MT. Well, that's my short intro. See ya around....JL

Welcome! Sounds like you have some great toys :jumping:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
You could split the difference and look at a DRZ400 or a Honda XR650L. Both are excellent round town dualsports, and I did several 1500+ mile trips on my Honda XRL. Add a larger IMS or Clarke tank (4gal.) and you're good to go.

Both are well suited to most off road tracks, including all but the knarliest single track, and are cheap to buy and easy to maintain.

I used a set of DirtBagz Ranger panniers on my XRL all through Mexico and Colorado, and they worked great!

-H-

93414919-M.jpg

18seeds

Explorer
The only street riding that will be done is running around my neighborhood and a short non-highway commute to the office (or where i think my office may be..haha).

It already has a title. CO has some interesting rules in making an offroad cycle street legal. You basically just need to sign a paper showing that you have made the right mods for street use. The current owner just lied and never made any of the mods but has a plate and title.

18seeds

Explorer
I took the plunge. Here she is
wrrack1.jpg

wrrack2.jpg

wrrack.jpg

wrrack3.jpg

Took her for a little spin around Central City CO today. Tomorrow I am going to check out some ghost towns near Brek.

Willman

Great thread!!!

Nice place to put the bike 18seeds!!...

I have been thinking of getting my motorcycle licence and picking up a Honda dual sport.....As well as fabbing up one of those mounts for holding the bike....

:sombrero:

18seeds

Explorer
I bought it on CL and it didn't have a name on it. I liked it bc it was aluminum and light. I didn't like it bc the bikeswayed around to much and if i had my camper on the handle bars would hit the back of the camper. I actually already sold it on CL. Owned it for the weekend.

I am considering getting the http://www.ultimatemxhauler.com/ instead. It's a little pricey but has had good reviews. I'll need to get a drop hitch extension because my truck sits a little high.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
18seeds said:
It already has a title. CO has some interesting rules in making an offroad cycle street legal. You basically just need to sign a paper showing that you have made the right mods for street use. The current owner just lied and never made any of the mods but has a plate and title.

You lucky SOB!!! :D Congrats to you!

I will follow your "plating" process closely as i am looking to possibly do the same thing. :D

I am up in the air between buying an XR650R and converting it, or just starting with the XL650L and modding it some for the dirt.

I kind of dig the simplicity of the air cooled L model for ease of maintence in the middle of no wheres. Awhile ago i have crashed a CR250 woods riding and mangled the radiator. Not something that can easily be fixed on the trail :( and we needed to push it most of the way out! :(

CA have really tightened the conversion laws so i am kinda nervous trying to mess with the DMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior