Tanzanian 4x4 cargo trailer with integral water tank

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I'm currently travelling for my work in eastern Africa (Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Kenya) and saw this great trailer at our our friend Hagai Kissila's Tarangire Whistling Thorn Camp, in northern Tanzania. (My trip reports are in the General section)

It has a 900-liter water tank built into the bed - it's sandwiched between the sides and floor; the filler tube can be seen sticking up in the front. There is a valve in the back. So it takes up virtually no cargo space but is an excellent stable storage tank. Ingenious! (It was custom made in Arusha, Tanzania)

trailer.jpg

troopie-trailer.jpg

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Nine hundred? Or 90? Ninety would be nearly 25 gallons, which sounds about right.

I love those local modifications. They're always stout and practical.

What I'd give for that Troopie/trailer combo!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Jonathan Hanson said:
Nine hundred? Or 90? Ninety would be nearly 25 gallons, which sounds about right.

Ahhh! Delicacy in correction is the key to a happy marriage......good job.

That trailer looks like she's seen some miles. Well, kilometers really. I like reading about these water storage solutions, too.

Baobab trees are beautiful. Bizarre, but beautiful.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Game rangers watch for smoke coming out of baobab trees. Meat poachers set up little camps in the hollow interiors and light fires to smoke their catch.

gjackson

FRGS
Baobab trees are beautiful. Bizarre, but beautiful.

Also known as the upside-down tree. Legend has it that every animal got to plant a tree. All the other animals always picked on the hyena, so, out of spite, he planted the baobab upside down. And he got a hell of a kick out of it, hence the laughing hyena.

:lurk: :beer:

cheers

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Those are actually three-door Troopies; there's no rear door on the driver's side. I don't know if they're custom, but they're all over Tanzania. They certainly look factory.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Jonathan Hanson said:

90 is correct - a typo! Typing too fast, as I'm rushing rushing rushing all over. Whew.

These troopies are also all over Kenya - three doors - as well as much nicer four-doors with higher roofs, bigger rear windows, AC and leather. Got to ride in one yesterday and it was sweet - no dust!

(Most of the time I have to ride in a troopie or LC pickup that is packed to the gills with Maasai men and women - the rule of the bush: you always give rides, and so often if it's dusty you roll up the windows, and let me tell you the aroma of 8 Maasai men stuffed into a sealed Land cruiser is - um - powerful.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94