"Pre-report" - 4 day short-notice Moab trip...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wife got a new job and wanted to take a few days off before she started. She suggested Vegas but I pointed out that it would be pretty expensive by the time we flew there, got our hotel, etc. So she asked for suggestions and I said "how about Moab?"

I had told her all about my Southeastern Utah trip last March and how awesome it was and showed her the pictures so to my surprise she agreed.

Photos are still trapped on my home computer but just a note to say it was an awesome trip! We hit Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point SP, and drove up the Sand Wash past the Lions Back (I had no idea it was so close to Moab!) and up into the La Sal mountains.

Being by ourselves and more interested in spectacular scenery than in '4 wheeling' per se, we only did very mild trails: Long Canyon/Pucker Pass, Gemini Bridges, the Canyon Rim Overlooks and a short section of the Cache Creek (I think) trail that runs outside of Arches NP.

The only disappointment was that the Shafer Trail coming out of Canyonlands and heading towards White Rim was gated and locked. Not sure why, may have been the snow on the Shafer switchbacks (which wasn't very deep - maybe 6") or it could have been a maintenance thing.

Suffice to say it was gorgeous, the weather was perfect (sunny and in the 50's all 4 days), the crowds were nonexistent.

310 photos in 4 days, not too shabby! I'll go through and pick out my favorites and post a more detailed report later on. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the pics :D. Much snow at all?

PS closes Schafer during winter...not sure the dates exactly.

Got some geos on Cache Creek? I'm not familiar with that name.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sorry about the tease. Longer and more detailed report will go up tonight, I hope, but I finally got the photos uploaded and resized.

Here are a couple of teaser pics:

Castle Valley:

2009_0219_130801AA.jpg

Window Arches:

2009_0219_153546AA.jpg

Long Canyon/Pucker Pass road:

2009_0220_103340AA.jpg

Shafer Switchbacks from above:

2009_0220_125803AA.jpg

Descending the trail at Canyon Rim Overlooks (a spur off of Anticline Overlook Road.)

2009_0221_160650AA.jpg

Those are just some of the 'lesser' photos that won't make the grade into my final report, which I should be able to get posted by this evening.

Suffice it to say, it was gorgeous, just about deserted, and the weather was perfect, so "stay tuned!" ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looking forward to seeing the pics :D. Much snow at all?

PS closes Schafer during winter...not sure the dates exactly.

Well, it was closed when we were there and I didn't go into the Ranger's office to inquire as to when it opened. My guess is mid- to late-March.

Very little snow except in some of the shaded areas and not much there either. Pucker Pass road had a few icy spots but nothing bad. 4wd definitely required (and low range came in handy on some of the slow climbs) but otherwise it was pretty tame.

Got some geos on Cache Creek? I'm not familiar with that name.

Looking back at the photos it's actually Cache Valley road and it's easy to find: Just go to the paved road that takes you to the Delicate Arch overlook in Arches NP. There's a parking lot with a turnaround and a toilet, along with the hiking trails to the arch viewpoints. The 4wd trail starts from that parking lot and it's about 1/4 mile to the park boundary (which is indicated with a closed but not locked gate.)

EDIT: Here's the sign:

2009_0219_163859AA.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Shaeffer is not closed during the winter months, though they can and do close it when its unsafe to travel or the route is blocked by rock fall or washouts as often happens during the winter months. We've traveled it December, and I've been there on a weekend when it was closed in November. Best bet is to call the visitors center several weeks before your trip and again a day or less before your departure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne