OJ Gear Guide Panniers Article

Bill Beers

Explorer
I've got a question for those in the know. With the caveat that I don't have my Gear Issue with me, does anyone know why the transalp had the same size pannier on each side?

-Bill

Bill Beers

Explorer
Bill, do you mean rather than having a larger pannier on the non-exhaust side?

Precisely. I was stationed in Stuttgart back in the '90s, and while I was there, picked up a set of Hepco and Becker saddle bags for my '89 Transalp. I went with the 45L/38L setup, (just like the picture below,) after the local rep explained that my 45/45 setup would be lopsided.

-Bill

Honda_Transalp_600_rear_pannier_alucases.jpg

Bill Beers

Explorer
The review was spot on about the lack of coating inside the HB units leading to black marks. A coating would be really nice. For the most part one or two sacrificial nylon gym-type bags, plus a few gallon ziplock freezer bags work pretty well for keeping your stuff clean.

One thing that was a surprise for me was that I was getting black aluminum marks on my left hip pocket area of my pants. As it turns out, the combination of the 45L HB pannier, a Corbin seat, and a 40" waist meant that I had to install some duct tape sheilding to the lid of the bag to keep my pants clean! From a comfort level, I didn't even notice. Perhaps with the stock seat, your riding position would be high enough to clear the pannier. However, I wouldn't want to use the stock seat for anything other than around town stuff.

-Bill

Moto Sport panniers are sold in same-size pairs.

Bill, I think the H&P rep's concern about lopsidedness had more to do with being German, than anything practical. ((I know (and appreciate) this mindset after owning a BMW for almost 25 years.)) With my Moto Sport equipped TransAlp I've never noticed any effect on handling or navigating tight spots. I tend to load heavier items in the near-side pannier; it may make some difference--but I doubt it. I do it because it's lower when the bike is on the side stand and therefore feels more stable. The lopsidedness is a subtle visual thing; it seems different size boxes would make that difference more obvious.

I guess if you wanted to mix boxes you could ask Moto Sport; they seem reasonable and responsive to customers, and may be open to it. I can see having both a small and large box as a way to increase storage a bit while avoiding the "wide load" look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94