Looking for Parts Purchase Advice, RRC

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
roughrover.jpg

It is time to update everyone on Project Rover's progress and then ask for some advice.
We are getting ready to head out Ghost Town exploring with a few disabled folks, this will be a test run to check out an area for a future event and document the places for other handicapped folks to know terrain, hazards, and things to see.
Then we will be presenting to a group of Special Needs kids & parents so they can see that backcountry adventure is for everyone.
After that it will be a display at the Az Game & Fish Outdoor Expo. The Ben Avery Range is hosting the event and has a wheelchair setup skeet range, very nice!

In addition there are a few companies that have jumped in to help us out and keep us from having to work so much overtime at our day jobs!
Sierra Expeditions was first in line to offer a dual battery setup and of course they will help with all kinds of expedition kit we need.
Rover Tracks came through in a big way with their Steering Damper Relocation Kit and some other great parts.
Safari Gard is bouncing into the game with a set of their progressive 2” lift springs.
Land Rover Lifestyle Magazine will be tracking us on their blog and we hope to see the Project appear in their pages when we do our wounded military persons event so another outing the Rover will make.

With this need to get the disabled out into the backcountry it was important to get the rig checked out by someone we could trust. And who we could send other disabled guys to and know they will be well treated. Rover Techs in Scottsdale looked over the truck and gave us a list of things to work on. The best thing about these guys is that they told us what to pickup used and what would be better new! Looking to save the customer money, that is a rare thing these days.

Here is the list for all of you to look over and please let me know of any source for these parts at a good price. And if you know of anyone with quality used versions of these bits that would really help us keep the budget down.

Water Pump (I am thinking we should go with new here? Yes?)
Radiator (has cold spots, how well do these handle being dipped/flushed?)
Power Steering Pump & Hoses
Motor Mounts
Seal kits for both sides of the front axle
Heater Core (we won't actually replace this until we are ready to do the dual battery & wiring)
Center console window switch
Seat switches (may have a local wrecked rig for these w/ seats)

So chime in with any thoughts on where to get the parts we need, what is ok used and what is better new, or anything else you are thinking about.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Thanks Kelly I will check out the website and give them a ring...
It is such a struggle between working overtime to pay for all this stuff myself vs having more time to answer emails, phone calls, research solutions for disabled folks, writeup responses to land management plans and all that....
I am really grateful for any info you guys have, tips on things we should do or not do on this project and such.

Thanks again

azarmadillo

Adventurer

Water Pump (I am thinking we should go with new here? Yes?)
Radiator (has cold spots, how well do these handle being dipped/flushed?)
Power Steering Pump & Hoses
Motor Mounts
Seal kits for both sides of the front axle
Heater Core (we won't actually replace this until we are ready to do the dual battery & wiring)
Center console window switch
Seat switches (may have a local wrecked rig for these w/ seats)

So chime in with any thoughts on where to get the parts we need, what is ok used and what is better new, or anything else you are thinking about.[/QUOTE]

Yes, new genuine water pump.
Radiator, stick with new 4 core, genuine is best, avoid the 3 core/aftermarket ones. Recores/redips lately cost what a new genuine does.
Get the thicker bolt motor/transmission mounts aka the old style ones, have RoverTechs source these for you, they know which ones to get.
I have lots of window switches as spares, how many do you need?

I'm parting out "Flipper", my 1989 rolled Range Rover. If you need other stuff, let me know. Lot of interior bits available.

I'm in Phoenix. Flipper is in Apache Junction. I'll be there on Sunday.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
In SoCal there is a guy who deals only with Classics. He's sort of a recycler, breaking trucks down to parts, or building others up when there in decent shape. He's got pretty much anything you need for a Classic, in used condition.

Send an email to John Gadd at "Roverdude" AT "sbcglobal" DOT "net"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior