Goodyear Wrangler Territory

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Here's another "more than an A/T, less than an M/T" tire I recently found while looking for tires for my expedition trailer. They appear to be a Canadian Tire exclusive which is strange. Anybody know anything about them, or ever seen this tread before?

I wanted to get a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T's for my trailer to match what's on the truck, but it seems they're not available anymore. At least in Canada.

So, instead I find these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...d=1408474396672407&subctgrid=1408474396672507

0052335_450_CC_v1_m56577569830969237.jpg

235/75/15 for $165 CDN. It would cost me more to have 3 tires shipped TireRack. And I'm talking... Less than a set of Kumho A/T's. So, they're a good price.

hovenator

Explorer
If you like the Cooper's but can't get them, Try to get a set of Mastercraft Courser CT's. They are virtually the same tire and tread.

Attachments

• Mastercraft-Courser-CT-250.jpg
    Mastercraft-Courser-CT-250.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 302
  • Mastercraft-Courser-CT-zoom.jpg
    Mastercraft-Courser-CT-zoom.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 150

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Mastercraft... is that Sears?

I ended up getting these tires since I can't seem to get the Cooper's in Canada. I'm surprised if they're discontinued, maybe just in Canada? Anyway, I prefer to use equipment that is easily found rather than specialty, so I went with these. They are a new tire, and Canadian Tire will be carrying them as a standard, so they should be easily available anywhere in Canada.

The tread compound is notiable softer than my Cooper S/T-C's, they probably would provide much more traction on rock than my truck tires. The sidewalls on these C-rated LT's are much softer than I would have thought, which should be good for airing them down and using them to cushion the ride. Hopefully they aren't succeptible to sidewall puntures.

JJackson

Explorer
No not Mastercraft as in Sears/Canadian Tire, they're an independent tire co in the US. Took me a while to understand when I moved south of the border.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's what it is... CT tools are Mastercraft, and Sears tools are Craftsman. CT tires are Motomaster.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yes, they still do it, though they've reduced the amount to like 1 or 2% from 3%. And only if you pay cash, not credit, which like never happens. I used to work at the British American Bank Note in Ottawa where they print currency, and they actually did the CT money. It was said that CT money has more security built in than American money. ;)

IggyB

Adventurer
According to CT website, the tread depth is only 8/32 of an inch.

The BFG AT is at least 15/32.

Is it an error on Canadian Tire site? 8/32 is not much at all

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
31x10.5x15, 245/75/16, 265/75/16. No 255's, but don't know exactly what you're looking for. Those look like good Expo sizes to me.

headdamage

Observer
To add to this post I've been running the Goodyear Territory tires from crappy tire for the last five months. The ones I have are 235/85R16, studded, and mounted on 6.5x16 steel wheels on my 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban. They are a touch noisy but I think that is mostly the studs. The truck feels very stable under all conditions and the level of grip on ice and snow is fantastic. I can add a bit of power in a corner and drift the rear out in a very predicable way, as soon as I let up the power a bit the rear snaps right back in line with no hint of getting away from me. I've been on hills where it was so icy that all the other traffic was piled up like drift wood at the bottom and these tires just let me drive around them and up the hill with no tire spin. In short, for a winter tire I love them. I'm tempted to get another set without studs for the summer season.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Are those C, D or E rated in that size?

I ended up getting these in a C rated for my trailer. So far so good, but I'm disappointed in the sidewall stiffness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles