Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A raised steering arm? It will create more leverage, but spread out over a larger area. Off Road Unlimited has a nice 'raised' cast steering arm? I'm gonna need to do some more measuring. My springs are not as thick as yours, but I don't want to go too tall and loose compression travel, or go too short not being able to run slightly taller springs in the future.

Bogie

Observer
Hopefully I will be swapping out these springs this spring, just unsure if I will be going with Alcans or Skyjacker 8" lift springs. I'm tired of the jarring ride with no weight on the truck (gasser)

A 6" lift spring will keep the truck where it is so a 8" would level it out if it ends up bigger I'll take the body lift out.

highcountry

Just got pointed to this thread from pirate, spent some time sorting through the thread, and joined so I can follow. I have a '91 W250 cummins, and a need for a good camping rig, so this this thread was right up my alley. I really like what you have done with this truck!

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior of the cab. One of the things that has stopped me from putting money into the dodge to outfit it is that awful bench seat.

Did you ever swap to the 12cm exhaust housing? Sorry if you answered that, I moved through the thread pretty quickly, and may have missed it. If not, you definitely should! I live near you, and I can tell you that at altitude that swap makes a HUGE difference. Especially with a manual transmission because you have to rebuild boost after each shift. Add a 12 cm housing and a 3k governor spring and you will have a whole new truck.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hi, welcome to the board.

Just got pointed to this thread from pirate, spent some time sorting through the thread, and joined so I can follow. I have a '91 W250 cummins, and a need for a good camping rig, so this this thread was right up my alley. I really like what you have done with this truck!

Thanks. Its nothing fancy really, but it works for what I need it. Its reliable, simple, and very affordable. I still don't think I have 5K in this truck.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior of the cab. One of the things that has stopped me from putting money into the dodge to outfit it is that awful bench seat.

yeah, the bench isn't that nice. Mine has a nice butt sized hole in the seat. Its almost like a bucket seat on that side.....I kid!

I will most likely replace the bench with some affordable suspension seats with a large flat center console box that someone could sit on for a quick trip in town or in a pinch. I am still tossing around the idea of the 'rocking' passenger seat for sleeping on long trips. I think I almost have that one figured out.

Other than the seats I am pretty happy with the interior. I like my vinyl floor, crank windows, and manual locks. Its all just so simple.

I would also like to invest in a slightly better stereo system. It doesn't really bother me...but it would be nice on longer trips.

Did you ever swap to the 12cm exhaust housing? Sorry if you answered that, I moved through the thread pretty quickly, and may have missed it. If not, you definitely should! I live near you, and I can tell you that at altitude that swap makes a HUGE difference. Especially with a manual transmission because you have to rebuild boost after each shift. Add a 12 cm housing and a 3k governor spring and you will have a whole new truck.

Doing something to the turbo is on my list for sure. I have thought about getting a he351cw a lot. Finding an affordable ( ie i'm cheap ) one is another matter. The 12cm housing would most likely be the best gain for the money. I have also considered messing with the 351vgt turbo. I think that could be fun.

I get a little bit of hot and cold performance out of my truck? I know I have a start up cold weather leak in the fuel pump, but I haven't found a way to fix it without pulling the pump. I drive it every day, so taking it down that much isn't really an option. I think I might just break down and get a rebuilt pump installed....or have mine professionally rebuilt.

The 3200 spring in on my list for sure.

Currently I am working on a new steering solution. I had two failures in that department this year and that just isn't acceptable.

If your ever in the Durango area PM me. I like talking truck.

later

highcountry

Yeah, that is why my truck is still around, its paid for, reliable, and it will do whatever you need it to--whether that is Imogene Pass, or pulling a flatbed trailer full of hay. Mine is on 4" superlift springs, with 35s, and an automatic tranny.

Do you have specific seats in mind? If I could find some decently priced suspension seats, that would be a no brainer. With decent seats and a center console, the regular cab would be quite livable, literally. There is plenty of space, it just isn't used very efficiently.

On your cold performance issue, before you blame the IP, check the soft line from the frame rail to the lift pump on the side of the block. I had the same problem (hard starting in the cold), and found that this line (at the ripe old age of about 17 years at the time) had hardend and was letting a little air in. Even a tiny amount of air in the fuel will reek havoc on these trucks because the IP counts on the hydraulic pressure of the fuel to open the injector and maintain timing. Also check the hard line from the tank to the frame rail for the same thing. I temporarily installed a piece of clear tube from the frame rail to the lift pump so I could see if it was drawing air from further back in the fuel system, just to make sure once I discovered that this was a problem. The lift pumps in these trucks is also suspect, so if yours isn't a known good unit, they are cheap, spend the money to replace that before evaluating whether your IP has a problem. Just a couple quick tricks to hopefully save you or someone else a bundle of cash!

Brakes and steering have been trouble points for me on this truck also. I think that I am going to do a crossover install this spring. With the lift springs, I will be able to run a straight link from a dropped pitman over to a high steer arm on the passenger side. One of the few benefits of running a lift! I am hoping that solves my steering woes. I have cracked those mounting plates the same as you have, and the steering just isn't very responsive.

Anyway, I will post all that to add to the content of the thread. I live over near Montrose, so I will definitely shoot you a PM too.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Do you have specific seats in mind? If I could find some decently priced suspension seats, that would be a no brainer. With decent seats and a center console, the regular cab would be quite livable, literally. There is plenty of space, it just isn't used very efficiently.

http://www.actionimport.com/Catalog_EMPI/Race-Trim_Seats.htm

http://www.jeepswag.com/empi/buy2/

On your cold performance issue, before you blame the IP, check the soft line from the frame rail to the lift pump on the side of the block. I had the same problem (hard starting in the cold), and found that this line (at the ripe old age of about 17 years at the time) had hardend and was letting a little air in. Even a tiny amount of air in the fuel will reek havoc on these trucks because the IP counts on the hydraulic pressure of the fuel to open the injector and maintain timing. Also check the hard line from the tank to the frame rail for the same thing. I temporarily installed a piece of clear tube from the frame rail to the lift pump so I could see if it was drawing air from further back in the fuel system, just to make sure once I discovered that this was a problem. The lift pumps in these trucks is also suspect, so if yours isn't a known good unit, they are cheap, spend the money to replace that before evaluating whether your IP has a problem. Just a couple quick tricks to hopefully save you or someone else a bundle of cash!

I will work through those tips.

A low pressure piston lift pump is high on my list.

I know I have a drip drip leak when the truck is cold on the back of the IP. I think its the small two bolt 'timing' cover?

Brakes and steering have been trouble points for me on this truck also. I think that I am going to do a crossover install this spring. With the lift springs, I will be able to run a straight link from a dropped pitman over to a high steer arm on the passenger side. One of the few benefits of running a lift! I am hoping that solves my steering woes. I have cracked those mounting plates the same as you have, and the steering just isn't very responsive.

I will most likely go crossover. With my leveling springs is possible, but I don't know if I can squeak a straight drag link.

I have another idea on the factory style mount......I should have something in the next few weeks.

For my super huge clown tires I think I am going to have to do hydro assist.

teleturns

Adventurer
Let me know if you need to take a look at my crossover steering. With my 4" springs I think a straight drag link would be tight. The crossmember under the engine comes into play. I have a bent drag link on my truck and a dropped pitman arm.

If you dont have a 3200 spring in your truck you really need one. That is the best mod out there. It was the first mod I did.

I just put a M2 fuel pin in my truck today and I was expecting more, but it does fuel better at full throttle.

Last edited:

highcountry

I know I have a drip drip leak when the truck is cold on the back of the IP. I think its the small two bolt 'timing' cover?

Oh right, that leak, I forgot about that one. That was the first time I had my pump out... Sorry man, that is a PITA. Since you are going to have the pump out, order up a governor spring, they are only a few bucks, and it is much easier to swap with the pump out.

Thanks for the links on those seats, like I said the interior is the biggest gripe I have about my truck, so that is definitely food for thought!

lstzephyr

wanderer
Let me know if you need to take a look at my crossover steering. With my 4" springs I think a straight drag link would be tight. The crossmember under the engine comes into play. I have a bent drag link on my truck and a dropped pitman arm.

If you dont have a 3200 spring in your truck you really need one. That is the best mod out there. I just put a M2 fuel pin in my truck today and I was expecting more, but it does fuel better at full throttle.

i would definetly like to see your setup on your steering. +1 on the fuel pin as well, for 5 dollars or whatever I spent on it, it made a big difference! Only took a couple hours to install as well, and I was being really careful.

On the seats, one thing that made me want to stay with the bench was the ability to seat three. I think using a 2nd gen bench and replacing the drivers seat with a suspension seat would be perfect. Then it would still have seating for three, a console, and a decent driver's seat. Thanks for the link!

teleturns

Adventurer
Here are some pics of my crossover steering kit from Sky. I have 4" Skyjacker Springs. Attempting to run a straight draglink with less than 4" springs would be difficult. My draglink has a significant bend in it to clear the crossmember. If I ran a tape measure (simulating a straight bar) from my pitman arm to my steering arm it would be real close to the crossmember. Maybe the crossmember could be modified to make it work. I could be wrong though...these trucks don't flex too much. I hope this helps.

DSCN1606.jpg

DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1603.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg

DSCN1601.jpg

DSCN1600.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

Maybe too many pics.... :coffeedrink:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Teleturns,

Few questions on your crossover.

How tall are your springpacks?
How much room currently from the top of the drivers springpack to the pitman arm TRE?

A bolt on solution could be nice....
Thanks.

teleturns

Adventurer
Teleturns,

Few questions on your crossover.

How tall are your springpacks?
How much room currently from the top of the drivers springpack to the pitman arm TRE?

A bolt on solution could be nice....
Thanks.

The springs are 4" skyjackers. I can't measure my truck right now. I am up in your neck of the woods for the weekend. I'll get it when I get home on Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier