The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Great idea for a comprehensive thread of "THE" light-truck tire size... It should have been much more popular than it was in the heyday of the 16-inch wheel which is now slowly leaving us as new trucks come with 17-20-inch wheels.

A few comments:

Trailcutter R/T

I saw these treads for the first time on Desert Dude’s trailer at the ‘07 ExPo Trophy. I believe El Dorado Tire is owned by Cooper and this tire is made on the same casing as the Cooper ST and Dean SXT in LT255/85R16. The specs for all three tires are the same.

Remington

I was going to start a new thread about the Remington Mud Brute, glad to see you posted it up here. My local independent (wrong side of the tracks) tire dealer where I purchased my Cooper STs told me a couple days ago that (Goodyear) was reintroducing the Remington Mud Brute tread in the LT255/85R16 tread. He will have a set for me to inspect next week.

He also explained the historical hierarchy of Goodyear's product line-

#1 Goodyear
#2 Dunlop
#3 Kelly-Springfield
#4 Remington

His comment was that Goodyear really let Dunlop falter in recent years as a brand, and that has Goodyear wanted to sell only high-end/expensive tires, but that hasn’t worked for them. Private label, less expensive tires certainly have a place.

Looking at the specs on Remington's site http://www.remingtontire.us/Pages II/home.html it looks like the Mud Brute may be a reincarnated Dunlop Mud Rover. Maybe it was made on the same casing when they were both in production? The reason I say this is that the specs listed for the Mud Brute indicate it may be the largest LT255/85R16 tire currently in production with an overall height of 33.6-inches. I think this was the same height of the old Mud Rover and I think the next tallest 255/85 is the Toyo MT at 33.5-inches. Also, the Mud Brute has a whopping 10.8" section width! Most 255/85s are about 10.3 inches wide. This could be a negative depending on the clearance on your platform. These Mud Brutes 'only' have 17/32" of tread, a little on the shallow side for my preference on a new MT tire, I prefer 18-20 if I can get it.

Looking at the high void ratio in pictures I think it may be a loud tire. Depending on how they balance the Mud Brute may be a very good 'economy' MT in 255/85. I don't know what the regular retail price should be for this tire, but my local independent dealer said he can currently sell me these tires for a mere $125.00 each! I don’t think he would be making any money on me, but the price is tempting.

Dean SXT

The Dean SXT had been available in 255/85 for several years from Les Schwab in the West, not sure about other parts of North America.

Big-O

I called Big-O within the past several weeks about 255/85 treads but just called my local shop again to confirm; they no longer make the Bigfoot AT or XT in 255/85R16. The only thing my local store is selling in 255/85 is the BFG KM2 which is currently on national back order.

Maxxis

Maxxis has been helpful when I have called with technical or availability questions. I was recently told the Creepy Crawler is not offered in the U.S. in the 255/85R16 size.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Picture of the tire found by Haggis.

Dean Mud Terrain SXT

sxt_1.gif

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Redline,

Thank you for the heads up. I will go into each one I posted and update them with the info you provide.

Thank you,

Beowulf

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Remington Mud Brute

Reminton_Mud_Brute_33x12_50_R15LT.gif

RESEARCH BY REDLINE: Thank You!

Looking at the specs on Remington's site http://www.remingtontire.us/Pages II/home.html it looks like the Mud Brute may be a reincarnated Dunlop Mud Rover. Maybe it was made on the same casing when they were both in production? The reason I say this is that the specs listed for the Mud Brute indicate it may be the largest LT255/85R16 tire currently in production with an overall height of 33.6-inches. I think this was the same height of the old Mud Rover and I think the next tallest 255/85 is the Toyo MT at 33.5-inches. Also, the Mud Brute has a whopping 10.8" section width! Most 255/85s are about 10.3 inches wide. This could be a negative depending on the clearance on your platform. These Mud Brutes 'only' have 17/32" of tread, a little on the shallow side for my preference on a new MT tire, I prefer 18-20 if I can get it.

Looking at the high void ratio in pictures I think it may be a loud tire. Depending on how they balance the Mud Brute may be a very good 'economy' MT in 255/85. I don't know what the regular retail price should be for this tire, but my local independent dealer said he can currently sell me these tires for a mere $125.00 each! I don’t think he would be making any money on me, but the price is tempting.

Very good tire. Yes, it is a rebranded Dunlop Mud Rover. I put over 50,000 miles on my last set and beat the crap out of them off road. I recommend this tire.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Maybe listing tires not readily available in the USA/North America will dilute your thread...

There are many interesting tires in other markets and in other sizes that we can't buy (easily) here. A search on both Mastercraft's and Dunlop's websites shows no results for 255/85R16 :(

Dunlop Rozmiar: 255/85R16

http://www.opony.com.pl/opony/opony_...ra_roku=&link=

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Not happenin'

Goodyear Consumer Relations said:
Thank you for your email, and interest in the new Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
with Kevlar tire. Although this tire is currently produced in an array of
sizes to address a large majority of the target market, it would not be
feasible to produce this tire for every existing size of this market
segment. There are no plans to produce this tire in the size you
indicated, 255/85R16, in the foreseeable future. However, please keep
in mind, market demands can change, which could potentially warrant
beginning production of specific tires in a particular size.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
yeah, I email BFG and GY about once a quarter asking if they are going to make the BFG AT or the GY MTR in 255 and I get the same response you did.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I saw one of these in person today. It's one impressive, aggressive, high void mud tire. Though Remington Tire's site says it only has 17/32" of tread, the one I handled had a measured 18/32". Tugging on the sidewall it felt quite stiff/firm, as if the sidewall might be pretty tough (2-ply design). The tread is 6-ply, 2 polyester, 2 steel, and 2 nylon pies! I bet it flat-spots in the cold but it might be pretty rugged. With the substantial void I'm confident it's very loud. I would consider a set as my next off-highway/aggressive tire because the price is right if it wasn’t for the noise. For now I think I'll stay with Maxxis Bighorns. Though I may buy one as a spare. Wonder how they balance?

Remington Mud Brute

Reminton_Mud_Brute_33x12_50_R15LT.gif

RESEARCH BY REDLINE: Thank You!

ckale1

Observer
Just mounted up a set of Maxxis Bighorns last night. This will be my 3rd set and I have to say i really like this tire.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTAuanBn.jpg

Previous size was a 33x12.50x15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles