The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

UHAULER

Explorer
Laramie Trailcutter R/T 255/85 R16 119/116N 8PR OWL
TrailcutterRT.jpg

Has anybody used these tires? I'm thinking about getting a set and was wondering how noisy, wear, etc.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
And they continue to make it in LT255/85R16!

We like :sombrero:

Just mounted up a set of Maxxis Bighorns last night. This will be my 3rd set and I have to say i really like this tire.

Previous size was a 33x12.50x15

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I think Desert Dude is running the Laramie Trailcutter R/T on his off-highway trailer. I like the tread pattern but finding a dealer might be difficult. I tried to get a set last year, they wouldn't return the calls from my tire dealer. Seemed like poor customer service from a small private label company (owned by Cooper I think).

I'm quite confident this tire in 255/85 is made on the same casing as the Cooper S/T and Dean SXT MT ('a green tire'). I would strongly suggest you try the Cooper S/T or SXT in 255/85 for better availability and service. The Dean SXT will be quieter.

Has anybody used these tires? I'm thinking about getting a set and was wondering how noisy, wear, etc.

UHAULER

Explorer
I think Desert Dude is running the Laramie Trailcutter R/T on his off-highway trailer. I like the tread pattern but finding a dealer might be difficult. I tried to get a set last year, they wouldn't return the calls from my tire dealer. Seemed like poor customer service from a small private label company (owned by Cooper I think).

I'm quite confident this tire in 255/85 is made on the same casing as the Cooper S/T and Dean SXT MT ('a green tire'). I would strongly suggest you try the Cooper S/T or SXT in 255/85 for better availability and service. The Dean SXT will be quieter.

I talked to a shop in Sacramento and he can get the Laramies. He quoted me $160 each including mounting and balancing.

I'm looking for the one closer to an A/T and the laramie tread looks less agressive than the cooper S/T. I have the Dean sxt A/T on the truck now in a 235/85/16 and really like the tread pattern but they don't make them in a 255, only the M/T.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That sounds like a great price for mounted/balanced!

You are on the right track if you want a less aggressive tire than the S/T. Unfortunately this is where the 255/85 size offers few options. There are very few choices between the S/T or Dean SXT MT and the low-void Maxxis Bravo MA-761 AT. The Maxxis is a great tire with very heavy-duty construction (6-ply tread 3-ply sidewalls) but I keep wanting just a bit more void than it offers, so the Cooper S/Ts seem to get run more often than not on The Mall Crawler.

I would like to see those Laramies again in person and know who sells them in Sacramento [not too far for me to go to buy tires ☺ ] I will also be very interested in the noise level and how well they balance and with how much weight. Being the same casing as the S/T they shouldn't weigh too much, around 49-lbs each.

I talked to a shop in Sacramento and he can get the Laramies. He quoted me $160 each including mounting and balancing.

I'm looking for the one closer to an A/T and the laramie tread looks less agressive than the cooper S/T. I have the Dean sxt A/T on the truck now in a 235/85/16 and really like the tread pattern but they don't make them in a 255, only the M/T.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Remington tires to be discontinued?

I stopped by my local independent/discount tire store today to kick tires.

I was told that there are rumblings that Mother Goodyear may stop making the Remington brand soon. If this happens there will cease to be one more 255/85, one that was just recently reintroduced.

Remington Mud Brute

Reminton_Mud_Brute_33x12_50_R15LT.gif

RESEARCH BY REDLINE: Thank You!

Looking at the specs on Remington's site http://www.remingtontire.us/Pages II/home.html it looks like the Mud Brute may be a reincarnated Dunlop Mud Rover. Maybe it was made on the same casing when they were both in production? The reason I say this is that the specs listed for the Mud Brute indicate it may be the largest LT255/85R16 tire currently in production with an overall height of 33.6-inches. I think this was the same height of the old Mud Rover and I think the next tallest 255/85 is the Toyo MT at 33.5-inches. Also, the Mud Brute has a whopping 10.8" section width! Most 255/85s are about 10.3 inches wide. This could be a negative depending on the clearance on your platform. These Mud Brutes 'only' have 17/32" of tread, a little on the shallow side for my preference on a new MT tire, I prefer 18-20 if I can get it.

Looking at the high void ratio in pictures I think it may be a loud tire. Depending on how they balance the Mud Brute may be a very good 'economy' MT in 255/85. I don't know what the regular retail price should be for this tire, but my local independent dealer said he can currently sell me these tires for a mere $125.00 each! I don’t think he would be making any money on me, but the price is tempting.

cjrivera68

Remington Mud Brute

Reminton_Mud_Brute_33x12_50_R15LT.gif

RESEARCH BY REDLINE: Thank You!

Looking at the specs on Remington's site http://www.remingtontire.us/Pages II/home.html it looks like the Mud Brute may be a reincarnated Dunlop Mud Rover. Maybe it was made on the same casing when they were both in production? The reason I say this is that the specs listed for the Mud Brute indicate it may be the largest LT255/85R16 tire currently in production with an overall height of 33.6-inches. I think this was the same height of the old Mud Rover and I think the next tallest 255/85 is the Toyo MT at 33.5-inches. Also, the Mud Brute has a whopping 10.8" section width! Most 255/85s are about 10.3 inches wide. This could be a negative depending on the clearance on your platform. These Mud Brutes 'only' have 17/32" of tread, a little on the shallow side for my preference on a new MT tire, I prefer 18-20 if I can get it.

Looking at the high void ratio in pictures I think it may be a loud tire. Depending on how they balance the Mud Brute may be a very good 'economy' MT in 255/85. I don't know what the regular retail price should be for this tire, but my local independent dealer said he can currently sell me these tires for a mere $125.00 each! I don't think he would be making any money on me, but the price is tempting.

My dad is running these tires on his 00 tundra, and they howl like the wind! He is running them on the stock wheel and gets serious frame rub from them on the front at full lock. I am in the market for a set of 255/85's for my tundra and will probably go with the BFG KM2's. I run a 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on my tacoma and I am quite happy with them.

IMO, the noise, rub, and vibration feel (at low speeds) is not worth the low cost.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
How many miles on them and how many thirty-seconds remaining?

Still quiet after all the months & miles?

I bought the KM2's about 7 months ago and they are holding up great. I have a heavy rig (4x4 van) and most of the miles are pulling a jeep so I can see them wearing down on the rear more than the fronts. I'm more than happy considering the load they have been under. They are quiet. I'd buy them again. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28066

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
This is a great thread. I have BFG M/Ts on my Disco in this size and I am looking for something to replace them with in a little more A/T style. Problem is, there isnt much in this size available easily. The 33x12.50/11.50 is MUCH easier to find but most is in M/T guise.

targa88

Explorer
As much as I understand the merits of this particular tyre configuration - my concern is always around availability - especially when you require a replacement tyre (that can't be repaired fore example)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Have there been any new 255's released to the public?

A better question might be, how many have been discontinued?

With only ONE tire available in the 17" equivalent (255/80 KM2) a tall 255 width tire doesn't seem to have much of a future.

While not quite as narrow, but maybe thin enough, the 275/70R18 is a nice size, at least on paper, if we must run 18" wheels :(
Still a pretty short sidewall for only a 33" tire.

Long live the remaining 255/85R16 tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles