The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Roody

Adventurer
Running 255/85/16 KM2s on my new-to-me 4Runner. They look good and I'm sure they'll do well in mud and snow (which I'll try out tomorrow), but when they need replacing I'll likely go a little wider

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Though I'd guess that for many, the superior tread choice availability of the admittedly much wider 285/75R17 might be more practical if they have the clearance to fit them. The LT285/75R17 is a niche tire as well, but they can be readily sourced. I like them enough that I might run a set up to the Canadian Arctic next month.❄️❄️

Wish I could buy 285/85R17 or 285/80R18 tires ;)

James

Good luck on the trip!

I second the 285/75/17 size. I've been running that size for 70k miles and really like them. I would like to see a slightly larger 17 size in the 285 width as well. More importantly, I would like to see the manufacturers do what they did with the 285/75/16 size and offer them in the 3700+lb rating. All of the 17" sizes are at the 3195lb rating and few are at 80psi, most are at 65psi. When carrying the camper, I prefer running closer to 80psi.
Jack

Sc0-

Just ordered some 255/85R16 Toyo M55's, these will be mounted on a '94 FJ80 4.56r&p PIG. (Replacing 285/75R16 E Duratracs.) I really wish we had more affordable tire options in this size. I am pushing some weight so hoping to get some decent life out of the M55's, was looking at the Toyo OC AT2s and the Michelin LTX AT2's but no application for this size.

owyheerat

Adventurer
http://roadtraveler.net/mastercraft-courser-cxt/

Here is part 1 of my Mastercraft CXT review. :)

Made in both the 255/85-16 and 255/80-17 (and many other cool sizes).

Enjoy.

James

James,

I would love to hear an update on the MasterCraft courser CXT. I read your attached article, and I have owned the courser CT in the past and I really liked that tire.
The CXT is on the very top of my list of soon to be, next tires, and would really appreciate your updated review of them. Since you've had them for a year or more.

Thanks

Durwin

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
James,

I would love to hear an update on the MasterCraft courser CXT. I read your attached article, and I have owned the courser CT in the past and I really liked that tire.
The CXT is on the very top of my list of soon to be, next tires, and would really appreciate your updated review of them. Since you've had them for a year or more.

Thanks

Durwin

Actually did work on an update/second blog post article for my site recently, mostly some long term wear data from the two other trucks the tires have been running on.

Not sure when I'll get it done, I'm wanting to, but my hands are quite full building a new truck...

Thanks,

James

offthepath

Adventurer
I'm considering 255 tires on my Gen 3 montero. One concern I have is the handling vs 285 tires. I'm sure on the road aired up it'll be fine, but what about off road aired down? One thing I love about the montero is how smooth it is off road at speed. Will the 255s work well aired down (20-25psi ish) and cornering going fast or will they get squarmy. Would a wider 285 be a better option?

Thanks

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Will the 255s work well aired down (20-25psi ish) and cornering going fast or will they get squarmy. Would a wider 285 be a better option?

I've been running 255s and other pizza cutters for, well, decades. Couple quick answers to you questions.

First: the about question above. One doesnt corner fast when aired down. Nope, nope, nope. The one instance where it does occur is performance rally where some guys will go down to 20psi on snow or certain sandy stages, but also run bead lockers.

Second: 20 to 25psi isnt airing down. 5 to 15psi is airing down 20 to 25ps makes little to no diffence in traction performance off road. Most buggies I know run .5 to 2psi.

Third: you will feel near zero diffenece in handling between same make/model/load range between 255/85 and 285/75 tire at 35psi. That said, my Interco Truxus in 255/85 E load range feel much different than my GY Duratracs 285/75 C load range.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'll agree that for a 3rd gen Montero, 20-25psi isn't really aired down, and I certainly wouldn't be worried about handling or cornering at those pressures. My Jeep is probably about the same weight, and street pressure is only about 28psi according to the chalk test, and my desire to get a decent ride.

I don't consider my Jeep "aired down" until I'm below 20, and my usual starting point if I'm going to the trouble is 15psi. At that pressure, I don't have to worry about unseating a bead, or handling issues, or a shorter jaunt down paved roads, and the tire absorbs washboard and cobble quite well. If I drop farther for sand or rocks, I keep the high speed turns to a minimum, and don't drive >55mph for more than a few miles in the heat of summer.

FWIW, on my 2500, "aired down" starts at about 40psi with the camper in the back, and 35psi without. Performance at those pressures is similar to the Jeep at about 15psi on the same size tire. The truck weighs about 2x as much as the Jeep, so it makes some sense...

I've been as low as 7-8psi in the Jeep (8" rims) and never had a bead problem. I my experience, knocked off beads are usually a combination of running too wide a rim, and driving a bit more aggressive than necessary, not a result of too low a pressure. You just tune your driving to compensate for the lower pressure. And usually, if you've lowered the pressure, you don't NEED to drive like a maniac to get through things...
Or so has been my experience...

BTW, still loving the 255/85R16 Maxx's on my Jeep. And the 255/80R17 Maxx's on my 2500 for that matter... :)

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. Airing down is relative and subjective. For my uses 20-25 is where I will run the tires unless the d or e rated tires are much stiffer. I am lookinv at airing down enough to smooth out the wash boards. Maybe that will be 15 psi, but either way, that's all I need. I don't have any need for going beyond that except for specific instances. I've been four wheeling and running dune buggies and off road stuff my whole life and understand the concept of airing down for different conditions. The montero is not a rock crawler.

I have read various complaints about 255s handling poorly due to the tall sidewall, narrow tread, and wanted feedback for my specific use.

From the responses I just want to clarify and make sure they were not directed at more aggressive four wheeling. Are there any handling issues with 255 tires at 20 psi when running 30-60mph across the desert, forest 2 track, high speed corners, and in general aggressive driving, for long distances?

Thanks and sorry if these were the conditions you guys were referring to.

Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
On my 2005 Wrangler LJ I went from a Cooper STT 285/75/16 to a BFG 2355/85/16. I noticed more responsive handling. At first it felt a little loose, but I think it was just that the steering was more responsive. Now keep in mind that is not just a size change but a tire brand change. The KM2s are much much nicer riding than the STTs. I loved my STTs but the KM2 ride softer. I am now sold on the BFG tires and will always look to them first when making tire choices. At least for my Jeep. If i had a heavy truck, the stiffer STTs might be nice.

I run mine daily at 25+/-psi. No problems. I think I was running them around 20psi when I did my trip to CO last year, but I don't recall for sure where I aired them down to. So far the only complaint I have with the narrow tires is that it offers less rim protection when aired down that the wider 285. I got some scuff marks on my rims in the rocks on my last trip. But nothing serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles