SteelCore anyone using?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I remember seeing an add a while back in the gear section of OJ I believe for these cool lockable steel cored straps. I searched and found them. While spendy at $80-90 for 2 9' straps what they save you in theft easily adds up. So my question is, is anyone using these? I was designing some fuel cages similar to the Hannibal units and was going to leave the latch portion off and use a ratcheting tie down but decided to use these steel cores if they were worth while.

Aaron

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Well I remember seeing an add a while back in the gear section of OJ I believe for these cool lockable steel cored straps. I searched and found them. While spendy at $80-90 for 2 9' straps what they save you in theft easily adds up. So my question is, is anyone using these? I was designing some fuel cages similar to the Hannibal units and was going to leave the latch portion off and use a ratcheting tie down but decided to use these steel cores if they were worth while.

Aaron

Not to hijack but, dude, you can't tease us like that.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not to hijack but, dude, you can't tease us like that.

So maybe designing wasn't the correct word, I'm stealing the design and not including the latch portion. It's simple and I think my fabricator can handle it.
Hannibal-13.jpg

Aaron

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Well post up pics when you are done. I have a Hannibal double mount but I am looking for a second one, preferably cheaper!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah it will be interesting to see how much the materials are. I will just use truck bed liner in a spray can as it almost perfectly matches the original Hannibal finish.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
That work but an AL tank would be better or perhaps a racing fuel cell. I know there more but worth it.

Aaron

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So maybe designing wasn't the correct word, I'm stealing the design and not including the latch portion. It's simple and I think my fabricator can handle it.
Hannibal-13.jpg

Aaron

Instead of, as you have so aptly stated, stealing someone’s design why not at a minimum improve upon it. Or better still come up with something original?

So many of us in this community cast aspersion on the Chinese knock off's, and here you are knocking off an African design.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Hey guys, does someone want to change the title of this thread?

It obviously has nothing to do with the original thread title.

.. Just sayin'..

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Instead of, as you have so aptly stated, stealing someone’s design why not at a minimum improve upon it. Or better still come up with something original?

So many of us in this community cast aspersion on the Chinese knock off's, and here you are knocking off an African design.

Just the basket portion, and even that won't be identical and again like I said less the latching portion (though making one that utilized the same latches as swing away bumpers would be useful). What they constructed wasn't all that challenging of a design nor an architectural master piece. Just simple and easy and to the point. They used the same AL that the roof rack utilized to make it look similar to the roof rack and that's all the standard cradle portion is a no brainer. Now as far as being a chinese knock off I've found there are only so many way you can configure something before it turns full circle, especially square aluminum tubing, the cycling industry is a good example and I'll limit is to hardtail frames (mountain or road).

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, does someone want to change the title of this thread?

It obviously has nothing to do with the original thread title.

.. Just sayin'..

Yes we can delete it as you already have that other one, on a quick note how hard are the steelcores to get TIGHT if I make my knock off off better quality will I be able to just get by with the steel cores or should I cheap out and use cable locks to keep my fuel on the roof?

Aaron

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm just disappointed that rather than expressing what you are going to do as being inspired by another design, you are saying you are going to copy it.

It may be semantics, but copying someone else’s design takes us nowhere. Improving upon a design does.

As far as the Steelcore goes, call Sam the owner of the company. He was working on a new ratchet strap design, I don't know how far along he is with the process.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well what I'm saying and what will end up being produced may be two different things. As it will turn out (final product) it won't be exact and yes I believe at this point it is semantics. Perhaps I should have consulted my attorney prior to the release of the statement, but I just wanted to be clear and forth coming of my intentions and not beat around the bush or hide behind a cloud of mystery. I totally understand the (improve upon and idea) philosophy as most things would not be here today if that hadn't taken place in the past. I had initially intended to make it for myself but I must admit Martyn got me thinking. So to restate my intentions with the guidance of Martyn I will be improving on the simple yet efficient Hannibal design. And with that, since it will share the general idea but not exact construction or design and of course depending on cost I might just produce these, as I know it's a niche market a less expensive way to transport jerry cans is always a plus.

Aaron

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
The Steelcore straps are hard to get super tight. I had them on my roof backet of the INTI and i had to stand up there and yank the crap out of them to get them tight enough. After a day on the road the cans would start rattling. I need to talk to Sam, i wasn't aware that they were coming out with a Ratchet type strap. That should solve all the previous problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94