Ski Mt San Jacinto this week?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I'm spending the week down in Palm Desert with my family and one day during the week I plan on taking the tram and skiing to the top and back down in a day. It's about a 5 mile ski to the summit and then a fun ski back to the tram station. I may also be talked into skiing Snow Creek from the summit if anyone is up for it?

I dont mind a solo trip but I thought I would throw out the invite.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Ok a little more info. Last Tuesday I skied Mt. San Jacinto which sits overlooking the Coachella Valley and the Salton Sea to the South and on a clear day you can see Los Angeles to the Northwest. The peak is the second highest in Southern California at just about 10,830 Mt. San Gorgonio is a bit higher at just over 11,000 feet. My day started with an alpine start of 10am and after downing a thermos of coffee I loaded onto the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway that takes you from close to sea level to almost 9,000 feet in just about 11 minutes. I went from 85 degrees to 40 degrees in less time than it takes me to enjoy a good cup of coffee.

After stepping off the tram I hiked less than 1/4 mile before there was enough snow to start skinning my way up Long Valley toward the peak about 5 miles distant. After 3.5 hours of skiing I finally arrived at the peak. I had a brief snack and a cup of coffee on top before peeling the skins off my skis in preparation for the payoff of the long climb. What took a little over 3.5 hours to ascend only took 30 minutes to to descend. The face was a wide open bowl leading to a narrow tree lined canyon. I went from wide open GS turns on top to tight slalom turns in the trees. In no time i was back at the tram station.

After taking the tram back to the car I drove back to the resort my family was staying at for a dip in the pool and cool beer in the jacuzzi. Epic day indeed.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Awesome!

Did you have any communications with you?

I've done the hike from the Idyllwild side. Up Devil's Slide Trail, and tried to make it to the tram for a view, some snacks and a round trip back. But I was losing daylight and had to turn back early.

I'm trying to find links for the trails in the area. But they are hard to find.

Here is one.

http://www.pstramway.com/things/hiking-detail.asp

Very long ago....a very famous person once called this area, the Yosemite of Southern California!

Who was That? Anyone know?:ylsmoke:

trail-map.gif

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Awesome!

Did you have any communications with you?

I had a cell phone but no reception. I was solo but my wife knew where I was and you have to fill out a permit at the ranger station in Long Valley at the trail-head. I have done lots of solo backcountry skiing and feel confident about recognizing avalanche hazards and I don't push my self beyond what I am absolutely certain I can pull off. My biggest concern is a blown out knee or busted leg. Two guys thinking of snowshoeing while I was filling out my permit decided not to head out for the day because they thought they had seen mountain lion tracks. Talk about a weak excuse.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Great Job!

That's amazing you did that by yourself!

You know we now have to punish you for no pics!:elkgrin:

.:costumed-smiley-007

But it's really OK....sometimes....Alone is Better!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have some pics on my laptop that I'll post in a bit, but pictures taken on solo ski trips dont tell a good story.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of the conditions.

In the last pictures you can just make out my turns in the snow. The picture was taken from 3 miles away so it's kinda tough to see.

Attachments

• 000_0020.jpg
    000_0020.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 000_0023.jpg
    000_0023.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 000_0027.jpg
    000_0027.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 000_0029.jpg
    000_0029.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 72

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Late to the party. That's so awesome. I didnt even know they allow you to do that. What did the guys think when they saw you with ski's on the tram? Crazy? Or is this common? Sounds so exciting to do. But also easy for me to say, never been on Ski's in my life! Glad you had a epic run and everything went well. Mtn Lion tracks.. sheesh.. lame i agree.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Late to the party. That's so awesome. I didnt even know they allow you to do that. What did the guys think when they saw you with ski's on the tram? Crazy? Or is this common? Sounds so exciting to do. But also easy for me to say, never been on Ski's in my life! Glad you had a epic run and everything went well. Mtn Lion tracks.. sheesh.. lame i agree.

You can ski just about any mountain you see with snow on it if your willing to put the effort in to get to the top. A few years back I skied Telescope Peak in Death Valley and actually had some pretty good light dry powder.

Skiing Mt. San Jacinto is a pretty common thing. During the Winter months there is a Cross Country Ski Center at the top of the tramway where you can rent skis to tool around near the tram. The more adventurous head into the backcountry.

I'm hoping to do some Spring skiing in the Sierras before the snow goes away. Maybe next month.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Few years ago, I was crazy enough to do the Cactus to Clouds Trail during the month of February; 500' to 10,834' for an elevation gain of 10,334', in one day. The trail basically starts in Downtown Palm Springs and ends up at the top of Mt San Jacinto.

12 miles to the top of of the Palm Springs Tram 500' to 8000'
6 miles to the summit 8000' to 10,334'
6 miles back to the tram
=============
24 miles in a day while hauling winter gear (ice ax, crampons, etc)

Then take the tram down for free (used to be free for the one way trip down, but I think there is a fee now). The tram operators figured who would hike up to the top of the tram anyways?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Few years ago, I was crazy enough to do the Cactus to Clouds Trail during the month of February; 500' to 10,834' for an elevation gain of 10,334', in one day. The trail basically starts in Downtown Palm Springs and ends up at the top of Mt San Jacinto.

12 miles to the top of of the Palm Springs Tram 500' to 8000'
6 miles to the summit 8000' to 10,334'
6 miles back to the tram
=============
24 miles in a day while hauling winter gear (ice ax, crampons, etc)

Then take the tram down for free (used to be free for the one way trip down, but I think there is a fee now). The tram operators figured who would hike up to the top of the tram anyways?

That sounds gnarly, where does the trail start? That is way rugged country on the PS side of the mountain.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
That sounds gnarly, where does the trail start? That is way rugged country on the PS side of the mountain.

The trailhead for Cactus to Cloud starts at Palm Springs Desert Museum. The Cactus to Cloud trail has the reputation as one of the most difficult day hikes in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles